Flat towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kantra

Does anyone know if you can flat tow a 2007 silverado 2500HD Crew cab 6.6 diesel with automatic allison tranny 4 wheel drive all electronic. None of the truck or RV dealers will give me an answer thanks

Check your owners manual...

Here is what is said about the 2009 4 wheel drive Silverado 2500 HD.  Your pickup is probably the same, but check.  Don't tow a 2WD pickup at all.

Page 4-47
Use the following procedure to dinghy tow a four-wheel-drive vehicle:
1. Position the vehicle being towed behind the tow vehicle and shift the transmission to P (Park).
2. Turn the engine off and firmly set the parking brake.
3. Securely attach the vehicle being towed to the tow vehicle.
4. Shift the transfer case to N (Neutral). See ?Shifting into Neutral? under Four-Wheel Drive on page 2-36 for the proper procedure to select the Neutral position for the vehicle.
5. Release the parking brake only after the vehicle being towed is firmly attached to the towing vehicle.
6. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF and remove the key ? the steering wheel will still turn.

Thank you but my transfer case is electronic and does not have a nuteral on it. plus I am concern with the allision transmission, I have called GM and allision and just get a run around neither will commit to a firm yes or no.

Can you shift between 2-wheel drive and 4-wheel drive?  Or is it full time 4-wheel drive?

Even with the electronic transfercase you should be able to tow it. Your owners manual should tell you the sequence to to to for flat towing.

GM owner manuals will have a section titled Recreational Towing. It will tell you how to rig for towing, if that is allowed. I'm surprised GM didn't read that section of the manual to you, chapter and verse, but maybe you didn't ask the question in a form they are trained to recognize. Allison isn't going to tell you ok, cause it is not part of the specification to enable towing. That's why 4WD Neutral is a requirement - it is needed to disconnect the transmission from the drive wheels.

Most GM transfer cases can be put into neutral, but I don't know the details for yours. Your owner manual will explain, though it's sometimes hard to locate the information..

We have a 2007 Chevrolet diesel 4wheel drive crew cab 3/4 ton Silverado.  It can be towed in the 4 wheel drive mode.  You should have 2 manuals with your truck; one specifically for diesels.  That's where you find detailed instructions on how to set up the truck to be flat towed.  BTW, the 2007 procedure is that same as Bago info on the 2009 truck if I recall correctly.

The one thing you do have to watch for is the braking system you choose; it needs to be specific.  Since that is such a heavy truck, you will need a braking system.  I can't recall which one is recommended; but I do know that the US Gear braking will NOT work for the truck.

You can also visit http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php and look up the specifications for your truck.

Marsha~

Thank all of you here is what I got when I checked it out.

2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab 4WD 8 cyl Automatic

Notes
?Remco has no information for this vehicle at this time. Please check back later or contact your Remco dealer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Remco Industries Inc. strives to make the information on this website as timely and accurate as possible, Remco Industries makes no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the contents of this site, and expressly disclaims liability for errors and omissions in the contents of this site and it's mechanisms. No warranty of any kind, implied, expressed, or statutory, including but not limited to the warranties of non-infringement of third party rights, title, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or freedom from computer virus, is given with respect to the contents and use of this website or its links to other Internet resources.

Reference in this site to any specific commercial product, process, or service, or the use of any trade, firm or corporation name is for the information and convenience of our customers and may be copyright protected. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom