flatened lp line by rear wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gooday All,I have a 2001 Itasa suncruiser 38',with 60,000 miles,I'm the third owner.I was having the tires on the rear replaced and was thinking about air bags(Of course I got the wrong ones).But with wheels off the passenger side rear,we found that my chassie was a F-53 instead of a F-550 as stated on building papers.And bags wouldnt fit(are they any help?)While looking at the area we noticed that the steel pipe (LP Gas LINE) was flatened almost closed.The bolt holding the body to frame behind that wheel was hitting the line ontop and then hitting the spring,which then flattened the steel line. I called Winnebago and they said they had never heard of such,Told me to go to a dealer and get it rerun(way out of warr.)Well the problem is the Gas tank is there in back of the rear end and the frame is full going over the rear end.I'm lost for a fix ,3 different dealers said they didnt want to be responsible to run this line.If I dont run it forward some way,no ref,h2o heater,no stove,Has anybody had this problem,how did you fix.I have cut the unused threads off bolt and rapped the line in rubber hose,Pls Help

Hi Bill - welcome!

I'm wondering if a previous owner had some modifications made - this doesn't sound like something that would have left the factory like that.  Can you take some pictures and post them in this thread?

As far as the air bag question, I suggest you make a separate post in the Tech Talk board or Motorhomes board about that subject.

John, I dont think there has been any changes to the coach bye anyone,I'll try and get some pictures.Do I send them to you as an attachment here.THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONCE,Bill

You can attach them yourself to a post.  Click on the "+ Attachments and other options" link directly under the text entry box.  Please limit the size of the picture to about 800 pixels wide and/or the file size to about 50-60K - you can use Microsoft Photo Editor assuming you are using Windows.  If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, attach anything you can.

John Canfield said:
If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, attach anything you can.

Love it.
Hope he can post something, I want to see.

John ,I took some pictures,a couple over wheel ,one to show no changes in lp system,and some from under the coach,the green hose is covering the area where the bolt was hitting the pipe,I also put a piece of wood between pipe and bottom of body.Pls let me know what you think.No one wants to work on it for LIAB.problems,Thanks Bill PS pls let me know if you get pictures,I'm on dial up

Attachments

• LPGas pipe 2001  Itasca sun cruiser 38' 004.jpg
    LPGas pipe 2001 Itasca sun cruiser 38' 004.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 80
I've never seen iron LP piping on an RV.  Airstream uses copper.  ::shrug::

I'll be interested in seeing the rest of the photos (only one visible now) but I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned if you have been able to stop any further flattening by trimming the bolt.  Iron pipe is tough and is malleable enough that it is unlikely to leak from being flattened somewhat.

I've never seen iron LP piping on an RV

Not sure what code was in 2001 for RVs.  Pretty sure I have some black iron pipe on my Horizon.  Black iron pipe is extremely common in buildings, but local codes are all over the place.  Black iron might be acceptable, inside coated copper pipe (tinned inside), plain type K or type L copper, brass, etc, etc.  Here's a more comprehensive list of possible materials.

Bill - one picture got attached.  Try for the other one.

The iron pipe shown in the one picture above is for sure for the propane gas, same as on my "Suncurser."  :D  See if you can get the other pictures uploaded; we all want to see!

Here goes again I'll tr to load the rest of the pictures,thanks for all your responses,Bill

Attachments

• LPGas pipe 2001  Itasca sun cruiser 38' 006.jpg
    LPGas pipe 2001 Itasca sun cruiser 38' 006.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 56
  • LPGas pipe 2001  Itasca sun cruiser 38' 005.jpg
    LPGas pipe 2001 Itasca sun cruiser 38' 005.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 61
  • LPGas pipe 2001  Itasca sun cruiser 38' 001.jpg
    LPGas pipe 2001 Itasca sun cruiser 38' 001.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 59
  • LPGas pipe 2001  Itasca sun cruiser 38' 002.jpg
    LPGas pipe 2001 Itasca sun cruiser 38' 002.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 55
  • LPGas pipe 2001  Itasca sun cruiser 38' 003.jpg
    LPGas pipe 2001 Itasca sun cruiser 38' 003.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 53
  • LPGas pipe 2001  Itasca sun cruiser 38' 003.jpg
    LPGas pipe 2001 Itasca sun cruiser 38' 003.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 51
Does this coach have rear air bags?  There appears to be close to adequate clearance for the pipe unless the spring travels an abnormal amount.  If it has air bags, someone may have driven a heavily loaded coach over a rough road with too little air in the bags.  But, even if this was a contributing factor, it's a poor design.

I'm kind of surprised the Winnie dealers wouldn't do the job. I would imagine it is not the first time they had to do gas line work. You might look up propane dealers in the phone book. I know we have a couple around here that will fill up home tanks etc and they also do all the maint work on the systems also. Don't know if a MH would scare them off but worth a call I guess. I would want someone that knows what they are doing for sure.

Black iron pipe is the usual material for the primary feed from the tank. The lines that branch off to the appliances are typically copper or flex lines. Only black iron pipe is acceptable for LP gas - no regular iron or galvanized. Tubing is brass or copper.

Bill
I agree with Molaker- Looks like a suspension issue-

When whas the last time the shocks were changed? 

Are there the little black cones somewhere to keep the suspension from bottoming out?

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-3-1-BUMPSTOP-SET/dp/B001G9YGWW  $23.00

First I want to thank all for there response! The shocks where replaced 8000 mi ago ,This coach sways alot I was trying to get air bags for the rear when this was found.In the building papers I have on this unit it was a F-550 Ford chassie ,but I order the bags for the F-550 and they wont work,seems that this is a F-53 chassie.I tried to mount the 1st bags and found this Black Iron Pipe in the way,not to mention they where way to tall.(If anyone is interested I have a brand new set of air bags for a F-250 thur F550 for sale cheep).Back to my gas line problem,can I use flexable Gas line to run thur and around the frame,Safely! Does anyone have airbags on a Ford chassie F-550 around 2001 (I think I have what is called a F-53 chassie)the bags will have to be real short,do they help the ride in a 38' unit.I guess this unit needed to have a 3rd axle,or somthing to help with the weight back past the rear axle.This unit Sways real bad on the road( this is our 6th M/H),and I would like to make it more stable.I dont want to spend a fortune,just get to ride(Drive) better.Thanks again Bill

I?m no expert in this area at all and mine is on a W22 chassis, but I just slid under my coach between the propane tank and the right rear wheels to have a look.  My lpg pipe is up close to the floor, just like yours, but my leaf springs are a lot farther below the pipe than on your chassis.  FWIW, I'd also guess that something is awry with the suspension.

Try a gas company for recommendations about using flex lines or find a copy of the RV gas plumbing code and follow that.

As far as sway, weigh the unit, make sure your tires are properly inflated and have a truck shop look over your suspension.  Start with the basics.

Yes, your motorhome has an F53 chassis. An F53 is derived from an F550, but certainly is not identical in all regards. Plus, things like the LP tank/lines, leveling jacks, hitch receiver, etc. are added to the chassis by the body builder, so they may be in places that will conflict with after market add-ons. So while all F53 chassis start out pretty much the same, they can differ more than a little by the time the motorhome is finished.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom