Fleetwood Southwind batteries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Havanesechamp

Hello:

I am new to the RV forum and I hope this post is in the correct area....

We are very exited and we just purchased a 2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V.

This unit has two PV panels on the roof and an Onan generator.  After checking out our new purchase we noticed there are no batteries in the storage compartment (right hand side of step up entry).  The older gentlemen who sold us the unit said they were not required because this unit has a solar PV system installed.  Is this a normal practise?  Being previous owners of an older smaller RV there was a battery for the vehicle and another battery for the users in the motorhome.

It would appear that there is only one battery (located under the hood of the vehicle) for the whole RV.

Would it be a good idea to put additional batteries in the storage compartment (has a few battery cables laying inside)?

Thanks a bunch for your comments.

Havanesechamp

Yes, you need batteries.  A solar system doesn't power anything directly, it charges batteries that are used to power the 12V devices.

Is it possible that someone stole the batteries before you purchased it and the older gentleman doesn't realize it or did someone steal them after you purchased it?  ::) :eek:

As long as you are plugged to shore power or using the generator, you don't use the batteries, but the moment you disconnect you need them. Solar power or not.

Even if the solar panels generated adequate usable power for direct use, what happens if you drive through some shade? Or it rains?

are there wires in that compartment? in my '98 Southwind batteries are under the step

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 42
We have a 2001 Fleetwood Southwind 35 R ... Yes you should have 2 6v batteries connected in series under the entry steps.  GC2 golf cart batteries such as Trojan T-105's or Costco GC2 for example.

Once you have those installed properly all batteries should charge under all conditions, ie shore power or generator operation thru the converter... from engine alternator going down the road.

This is controlled from the BCC (Battery Control Center) ... the big black box under the hood on the left side.  The system uses the Aux Start Solenoid (continuous duty) to connect the batteries as well as allow you to connect them together by holding the switch down ... ie. jump start engine from coach batteries or jump start generator from operating engine if coach batteries are too low.

Easy to check operation with a digital meter ... let us know if you need that info.  It's the Fleetwood way, generally works well ... Aux start solenoid can be a problem.  Again let us know if there is a problem ... Lou for one has system info available.

There is also normally a small solar panel on top of the AC unit, only about 5 Watts that goes to the engine battery ...

I think you'll like the Southwind ... we enjoy ours.  ;D

Howard

Havanesechamp said:
The older gentlemen who sold us the unit said they were not required because this unit has a solar PV system installed.  Is this a normal practise?

No, not at all (as others have mentioned).  You will need to buy (at least) 2 deep cycle batteries, which is probably what the RV is already wired for.  Golf cart batteries often work well.  They will run you a few hundred dollars, but are really essential for doing anything in the RV when it's not plugged into shore power.

Hello all:

Thanks for the information (Howard) on the location of the batteries on our 2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, you were exactly right we found them!

We noticed a small wall light just beside the interior step and looks like a little dome.  It appears to be not working and we were wondering if this is a switch activated light....any response would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your comments.

Havanesese

Try the porch light ... without going out to check I think it comes on with the porch light ... but I'll check tomorrow. (Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong)  ;D ;D

Howard

Howard R said:
Try the porch light ... without going out to check I think it comes on with the porch light ... but I'll check tomorrow. (Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong)  ;D ;D

Howard

Mine comes on with porch light. If it's not - may be bulb should be replaced

Thank you Howard and Frankazoid:

Yes the step light was wired in with the porch light!  Thanks a bunch.

We are still doing a few repairs on our Fleetwood Southwind 32V so here is  another question for you guys if you can help us.... we would like to change the bathtub trap and we do not know how to access the trap?  Any ideas?

Also we noticed that there is a panel behind the license plate, is there an access door here and if so how do you open it......it appears to be a mystery.

Thanks!

We are still doing a few repairs on our Fleetwood Southwind 32V so here is  another question for you guys if you can help us.... we would like to change the bathtub trap and we do not know how to access the trap?  Any ideas?

You've asked the same question in another message, so let's try to keep the replies all in that thread:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,83554.msg756035/topicseen.html#new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom