floor plan vs type of rig...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MikkinJay said:
We would love to travel frequently, but in reality costs will more than likely keep us some place for at least a week at a time... we want to be able to stay most places where we won't have a neighbor 15 feet away...

Good point. Staying put usually costs less than moving. Some Federal sites are usually available at great rates. Buying a Federal card cuts the price further if you qualify.

Some random thoughts related to the comments above...

There is only so much room in an RV, and any space devoted to one thing is space stolen from another. A cramped kitchen is a real nuisance, but so is a cramped bathroom, a bed you cannot get around to make up in the morning, or a lounge that lacks room for your computer gear or convenient tv viewing, or tiny closets and few drawers.  You can't make any space decisions in a vacuum, and the smaller the RV the worse the interaction among spaces.

Generators in towables: It may not be your style, but the vast majority of RVers stay in parks with at least basic hook-ups and generators are an option rather than a necessity. That said, most larger, or mid-upper scale - RVs have a generator option or at least a "generator - ready" option.  And those who do use generators with a towable often want it at least a bit away from the RV, so portable or truck-mounted is a popular choice vs built-in.

Motorhome breakdowns: Many RV service places can accommodate people who need to stay in their motorhome, even providing hook-ups for them. It's a bit of a hassle, but so is moving out of a trailer into a motel room. Breakdowns are seldom fun.  Also, motorhome owners almost universally tow a car for casual use anyway, so they also have transportation even while the coach is in the shop.

Rear of a trailer and bouncing: Whatever is in the rear of a trailer is subject to a lot of bouncing and bounding action as the trailer see-saws on its axle. We have a rear kitchen 5W and had to take special precautions with everything in the cabinets. But we loved the space and accessibility of the rear kitchen. By the way, we also had a 5W with a closet across the rear and that tended to throw stuff off the hangers (or the hangers off the closet rod) whenever we traveled.  This can be alleviated somewhat with shock absorbers on the trailer suspension, something that most towable RVs lack.

[quote author=Gary RV Roamer]
There is only so much room in an RV, and any space devoted to one thing is space stolen from another...You can't make any space decisions in a vacuum, and the smaller the RV the worse the interaction among spaces.
[/quote]

I decided not to make that point in my initial comment since it seemed self-evident, but it may not be at first to those just starting to look.

My point was, if they included a female perspective, the kitchen would not always be the thing that got shorted. And yes, I personally would rather give up the ubiquitous couch-and-dinette combo to have much more kitchen counter space. We don't even need a couch...where are our double recliners? We don't want to buy a 5er just to get them.

So now, whatever we buy, we're going to have to to all the remodeling work ourselves, since we're not rich and don't intend to have a coach made to our specs. <grumble><complain><whine>

Gary RV Roamer said:
Generators in towables: It may not be your style, but the vast majority of RVers stay in parks with at least basic hook-ups and generators are an option rather than a necessity. That said, most larger, or mid-upper scale - RVs have a generator option or at least a "generator - ready" option.  And those who do use generators with a towable often want it at least a bit away from the RV, so portable or truck-mounted is a popular choice vs built-in.

Gary, that makes sense...we have been looking at portable generators...we are geeks and will need to have access to computers...which sounds like we should go with an inverter type? would a digital 6000 be enough to power most computers and still run a/c or other necessary equipment?

herekittykitty said:
My point was, if they included a female perspective, the kitchen would not always be the thing that got shorted. And yes, I personally would rather give up the ubiquitous couch-and-dinette combo to have much more kitchen counter space. We don't even need a couch...where are our double recliners? We don't want to buy a 5er just to get them.

So now, whatever we buy, we're going to have to to all the remodeling work ourselves, since we're not rich and don't intend to have a coach made to our specs. <grumble><complain><whine>

love this! I would give up room every where (except the bathroom) for more kitchen counter space!!  I can find room to sit anywhere but room to cook is a premium! LOL

Dan23 said:
Good point. Staying put usually costs less than moving. Some Federal sites are usually available at great rates. Buying a Federal card cuts the price further if you qualify.

Dan, a Federal Card?  My husband is a veteran so I knew there was some sites that offer better prices, but is this different?

MikkinJay said:
Gary, that makes sense...we have been looking at portable generators...we are geeks and will need to have access to computers...which sounds like we should go with an inverter type? would a digital 6000 be enough to power most computers and still run a/c or other necessary equipment?

You cannot carry enough batteries to run an AC unit for more than a few minutes.  Just not feasible.  As for charging a laptop? Easy,  most laptops have a brick that takes 120VAC down to around 19 Volts at very small amp draw.  So a 1000 watt inverter is probably more than enough.  Unless you want a whole house inverter to run all the outlets.  Then it can get expensive with a automatic transfer switch a large inverter etc.  Solar and battery power is great for running low current draw items, like a TV, Sat receiver, charge personal electronics etc.  IT IS NOT feasible to run high power items like coffee makers, toasters, AC units, water heater elements etc. To properly setup a solar system, you first need to determine exactly what you want to run and exactly what the amperage draw will be.  Then figure out how much battery capacity you will need, finally calculate how many amps of solar panels you are going to need.  Finally figure out if you have enough roof space for all that solar.  My panels are approx 2X4 feet so two take a lot of real estate on my roof.  Combine that with 2 AC units, a TV antenna a Satellite antenna, two roof vents, two holding tank vents and there is simply no room left for more panels.  And I have over 280 SQ FT of roof space.

herekittykitty said:
I decided not to make that point in my initial comment since it seemed self-evident, but it may not be at first to those just starting to look.

Not very P C. Why is that a female perspective? I do virtually all of the cooking when we are in the RV.

Joel

but if you have break downs (seems likely in an older MH) you don't have to leave your whole house??

That's why you'll hear some of us talk about "Camp Monaco", "Camp Cummins", "Camp Freightliner", etc.  The RV manufacturers often have full hookups because people who are buying a new RV often need to camp there for a few days while they move things from their old RV to their new one, while they learn how everything operates, while they have extra features added, while they have repairs made, etc.  In 35+ years of RVing we've only gone to a motel once and that was at our suggestion so the crew wouldn't have to put everything back in place at night and then take it apart again the next day.  It sped up the repair effort and they paid for the motel.  Interestingly, they didn't want to ask if we would go to a motel (many people object) and were very pleased when Jerry suggested it.

ArdraF

Regarding kitchens: We are not full timers, but we use our rig quite a bit. The longest was a three month trip to Alaska; more typically a week to a month long trip. Our RV is "only" 30 foot. Since I still camp and travel many thousands of miles annually by motorcycle, I earn the right to put quotes on "only."

When RV camping, we split up the kitchen chores. She takes the lead cooking and I take the lead cleaning up, but we share both tasks. Her cooking style directly affects the clean up. I just asked her what is different about how she cooks in the RV as opposed to at home because we end up with a lot fewer dirty dishes-- and ones that are easier to clean-- in the RV than at home. Neither of us like dishwashers so this is important to us, and it saves RV water use.
What she told me is that in the RV, she cooks more one-pan or two-pan meals than at home. She bought a kitchen accessory that goes under the pan that minimizes the chance foods will stick, and uses a non-stick spray. When she cooks meats, she cooks extra and freezes some for future meals. She seldom uses the microwave. Variety on the table comes form including either a sauce or condiment directly from the refrigerator to the table and back to the fridge after the meal.  If she really, really needs a special sauce or something for a supper meal, she buys some at the store and seasons it to her taste.
We never skip breakfast and it is generally mixed cereals with mixed nuts and raisins and or craizins. No cooking. Usually no toast either as neither of us needs the calories or wants the extra clean up.
Lunch is typically skipped or just some cheese with crackers. We both keep up with the latest health news and advisories and our eating style reflects that.
Everyone has their own needs and wants, but this is how we get along nicely with a small kitchen.

It goes to show that if adapt to your surroundings you can make anything work.  In my case I do allot of the preparation in my home kitchen prior to departure. 

Back
Top Bottom