Florida Panhandle to Badlands - Avoid I-29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floridafran

We leave August 25th and had received good advice about the best route that suited our wants/needs- pushing hard to get there, then slowing down to enjoy the sites.  But that was prior to the flooding throughout much of that area.  Our planned route had been:

Pensacola, FL to Interior, SD via Jackson, MS; Little Rock, AR; picking up US 71 at Joplin, MO joining I-29 at Kansas City.  Stay on I-29 to I-90, then I-90 to the exit for the Badlands.

Latest DOT reports and info on safetravelusa.com, show parts of I-29 still closed due to flooding.  Since this is our first trip up that way, we aren't familiar with alternative routes.  Have no desire to get into detours and single lanes (for bridge repairs) if we can avoid it.

Now we're thinking about keeping the route as it was, to 43 miles north of Kansas City on I-29.  That would put us in St. Joseph, MO where we'd exit onto US 36 heading west.  Right now they aren't showing any problems along  that stretch of I-29. 

We'd stay on US 36 until we reached US 81 in Belleville, KS and turn north.  It's about 75 miles north of that turn, that Tom and I are divided on what to do.

Option 1 - Stay on US 81 all the way to I-90, then west on I-90 to the Badlands.

Option 2 - Stay on US 81 until we reach I-80.  Hop on I-80 for about 40 miles until we reach the Grand Island, NE/US 281 exit, then get on Route 2 (Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway) until it intersects with US 83.  Get on US 83 to I-90 to Badlands.

Option 3 - Follow Option 2 as far as Grand Island but take Routes 11 and 91 (the Loups River Scenic Byway) to Dunning where we'd pick up Route 2 and then US 83. 

Any advice on any part of this plan is welcome.  Also, if you know a better way to get from point A (Pensacola) to point B (The Badlands), that advice is welcome too.  As I said, we've never driven any of this past Jackson.  And while getting there as quickly as possible is important, we'd also like to enjoy the ride and have something interesting, or scenic, to see along the way.  On our vacations we're always scouting for places to return to for a real "visit."

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to be as clear as possible.

Thanks again for helping 2 newbies get off to a good start on their first long trip. 

In NE Nebr is ashfall state park with its display of 10 million yr old mammal fossils at a water hole. They were killed by volcanic ash.

"Option 1 - Stay on US 81 all the way to I-90, then west on I-90 to the Badlands." Would put you near this stop worthy of 2 hrs.

Thank you for your help.  I'd never heard of Ashfall before.  What a fascinating place. 

I've never been to Nebraska and didn't realize how much there is to see and do there.  We won't have time for much on this trip, but I've already found enough reasons to go back and spend some time and I haven't even begun to research like a do for a destination. 

You could plot your proposed route on the AAA mapping site. You would then zoom in on the route to see where the construction is and road closures, etc.  If you don't like the a particular road or section, the map site will allow you to customize the route. You can also print the route if you want to. While it is not always exactly up to date on road conditions it is usually pretty reliable. You also have gas stations and campgrounds listed too. You don't have to be a member to plot  or print the trip. You only need to be a member to go to their offices and get a nice little booklet of the route plus all the paper maps you care to have. I usually look at my proposed route on the AAA site and then input it into my GPS.

http://michigan.aaa.com/page/TripTik-Maps-Directions/687.uts?pageId=225&WT.ac=122310_Q047_KMS-TTP_FlashNav_S3&parentCategoryId=670&categoryId=687&zip=48197

We'll be heading that way about a week behind you (first week in September). Our original plans were to go up I-29 from Kansas City then east on I-90 as well, but even if the water goes down now, it'll be questionable as to whether or not the roads will be ready. Keep us posted on your route. We've started looking at US-81 as an alternate route also, but we're still a bit undecided.

cogerbill,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm a long-time member of AAA and I've used trip tiks for years for our car trips (only got an RV last September) and like them.  But when I put in this trip, they routed me up I-29 with no warnings about closures or detours, which both the DOT and safetravelusa show are there.  However, after reading your post, I did go back and take their route and "play" with it to see how the time and distance changed from the original.  (Although I'm not putting much stock in their time since I'm sure they plot for a car which would travel quite a bit faster than we will.)  I haven't been by the office yet to pick up maps and tour books.  Plan to do that sometime next week.  I've always found their stuff be very helpful.

Brother Bill,

On another forum (rv.net) I heard from a  South Dakotan (Is that right?) that 81 is a better road than 83.  But that both are good roads.  If I have a chance (meaning WI FI) I'll post which way we ended up going and what the roads were like.  If you haven't checked out the safetravelusa website, do.  It's very good.

Have a safe trip and maybe we'll cross paths somewhere along the way. 

Floridafran,

Thank you for the heads up on theSafetravelusa website. I just took a look at it and will be adding it to my bookmarks on mapping. ;D

You're welcome, codgerbill.  I've gotten so much help and good advice here, that I'm happy to pass along something others might benefit from whenever I can.

I-29 around Omaha will be closed for some time yet.  Some bridge repairs will be required once the water subsides.  You can review the current state of the Missouri river flooding and road conditions on the Omaha World Hearald website.  www.omaha.com 

doitnow (love this screen name  :) ),

Thank you for another wonderful website and resource.  I've bookmarked this to use before and during our trip.

Your option when traveling in Nebraska from Grand Island to Cairo and then up Hwy 11 and 91 along the Loup Rivers Scenic Byway is a great idea, then going on via NE Hwy 2 the Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway is a very good option.  the Loup Rivers Scenic Byway is scenic and beautiful with very little traffic (which is good because it does not have paved shoulders along the highway).  The Sandhills Journey does have paved shoulders most all of the way between Grand Island and Alliance.

Some sights to check out along the Loup Rivers Scenic Byway - Happy Jack Chalk Mine near Scotia, Ft. Hartsuff near Elyria, Calamus Reservoir northwest of Burwell, then check out Calamus Outfitters if you have time for bird watching, tanking, hiking, or horseback riding and lots more.......my favorite restaurants are The Country Neighbor off of hwy 11 near Ft. Hartsuff and the Sandstone Grill in Burwell...it's very, very good.  check out www.LoupRiversScenicByway.com

Along the Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway check out the Nebraska National Forest near Halsey (the largest hand-planted forest in the world, and the oldest US Forestry tree nursery in the US)  (nice RV spots there); take in the Thedford Art Gallery & Thomas Co historical Museum  in Thedford then try tanking at Mullen with Glidden Canoe Rental at the Sandhills Motel;  It's a beautiful drive with not much traffic, see  rivers, lakes, wetlands & wildlife.  Stop in Ellsworth for a break at an "old time" ranch store called "Morgans"  it's a step back in time.  If you go on to Alliance check out the Knight Museum and Sandhills Center it's a beautiful museum with wonderful exhibits about the geology of the Sandhills, the Ogallala Aquifer, pioneer and ranch life and the community of Alliance.  Of course check out the #2 most wackiest attraction Carhenge just north of Alliance, then on to either Crawford or Chadron.  Lots to see in both of those communities and the areal, don't miss them, if you're in to early western history they're MUST STOP Places.  Or go north on US Hwy 83 at Thedford, on to Valentine...lots of outdoor activities and beautiful waterfalls to see near there, then on north to I-90 and west to the Badlands.
Websites to check for addresses, and more info are www.sandhillsjourney.com and the state site www.VisitNebraska.gov
I'm quite sure you'll throughly enjoy your travels if you travel the Loup Rivers Scenic Byway and the Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway.  Happy traveling in Nebraska.

If you go by Bellville, KS, a must see is the Paul Boyer Animated Art Museum.  It cost $5 but it is worth it to anyone.  Also there was a city owned CG just down the street that was all full hookup, pull-thrus and on the honor system but I haven't stayed there in a few years. 

netrvlpro, 

Thank you for such a detailed response.  Only a week until we leave and we still haven't settled on exactly which route we'll take through Nebraska.  So many great things to see and not enough time to see them all.

ownb,

Thanks for your suggestions, too.  Whichever route we take through Nebraska, we'll be turning north on 81 at Belleville.  I'll see what I can find out about that city park. 

Brotherbill,

Hope this isn't too late to help you.  Just got some internet service.

We took 36 at Kansas City.  Okay road.  Took 81 up to the Sandhills by-way.  That part of 81 was okay.  Picked up 83 at Thedford.  With the exception of the part from Valentine to the SD state line which had been re-paved, 83 was really rough.  I-90 was fine.  If we had to do it again, we'd stay on 81 all the way to I-90.

Got to go.  Doing this through my cell phone.

Safe travels, everyone.  I'll post more once we get to Glacier.

Floridafran said:
Safe travels, everyone.  I'll post more once we get to Glacier.

just for your information,glacier had the first snow of the season a few days ago.  Weather should be fine but nights will be cool, possibly even freezing.

Thanks Fran, we ended up taking a bit of a scenic route. We also took 36 from St. Joseph to Hiawatha. Didn't like the sounds of some of the road construction west of there, so we took 73 north out of Hiawatha and caught 75 to Nebraska City. From there, took Nebraska 2 over to I-80 at Lincoln and continued to Ogallala. We spent the night there then turned north again. Really hasn't been a bad ride so far. We killed a few hours at Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse today and pulled into Deer Park campgrounds around 8 o'clock this evening. Things should ease up a bit tomorrow. Plan to make Yellowstone fairly early, then slow the pace down somewhat.  You folks have fun, I appreciate the shout.

Back
Top Bottom