Florida to the Pacific NW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So much for plans of staying here and resting. 

I got back from having the oil changed and Joyce said," Why don't we pack up now and hit the road? We could be in Georgia by this afternoon." She had just completed the laundry and there was really nothing else for us to do. We thought about it for about five minutes and I started getting ready to go.

We traveled through Nashville, and across 24 to Chattanooga, went through it, and landed at a KOA in Ringgold Georgia. All set up and thinking about grilling a couple of steaks tonight. Joyce will make baked potatoes.

Now were 200 miles closer to home than we would have been if we'd just sat there!

KOA at Ringgold was so noisy from trucking at night that Joyce couldn't sleep until she was exhausted at 4am. 

We got up and got out of there by 9am.  Drove 344 miles through Atlanta and the rest of Georgia.  Now poised for a return to our home state of Florida tomorrow morning.  We're five miles from the border!

The NW wind was blowing when we set out, and our mileage benefitted from the tailwind!  Saw 15.2 on the MPG gauge at one point, and 15 and 15.1 for over a hundred miles until we out ran the cold front.  Then MPG gradually dropped to 14.6, 14.7.  Still very respectable for towing a fifth wheel.  The secret is keeping the speed steady and right around 55 MPH.

Tonight we're at the Eagle's Roost RV park, and it's quiet here under the trees with Spanish moss draped from the trees.  Feels good to be close to home after two months on the road!

We completed our 11,000 mile trip from Florida to the west coasts of California, Oregon, and Washington and back today about 3:30.

We had no flat tires or blowouts on our Goodyear Marathon ST trailer tires. They performed flawlessly.
We kept our speed under 60 the entire way.  Mostly 55-58 MPH.  Checked the tire pressure almost daily.  50 PSI.

Fuel mileage exceeded our expectations - over 14 while towing the entire 9 weeks on average.  15.2 while towing was the highest we saw with a tail wind a few days ago.

Highlights were - the California and Oregon Coasts, the Olympic Loop, Mt. Rainer, Yellowstone and the Tetons, and Custer S.D.

Thanks to everyone who followed along with this journal and made suggestions as we went along.  You are all appreciated.

Ron and Joyce at home in Florida.

Thanks Stan, Alisa, and Indiana.

This forum has been great for posting our travels, and getting feedback on our thoughts and plans as we traveled across the country.  Your suggestions were appreciated!

Going so far and spending so much time on the road, isn't really what we most like to do, but how else to get there?  Fly?  Rent an RV?  Possible but not really our style. 

Next summer we'll probably pick one place and spend a month there!!  Our favorite camping vacations have been when we drive less and relax more!

Ron and Joyce cleaning up after a long trip.

Like others have commented, I enjoyed following your travels.  I have noted  many spots I'd like to visit as a direct result of your informative, interesting posts.  Thank you for the efforts!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom