Flying J dump stations no longer free

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know it's been mentioned before but this seems like a good place to throw http://www.sanidumps.com/ out there as a decent reference for dump stations.

I recently ran into this new FJ policy in NE...along with the posted sign "No RV parking overnight".. The sign was the straw that broke my hose. :eek:

Flying J has lost my future business.. :mad:

Petro amd TA's are now my planned RON stops. ;)

Charlie

Flying J's primary business is serving the trucking industry.  Anything that benefits us RVers is just our good fortune, our business has little effect on their bottom line.  We will continue to buy fuel where it's most convenient and reasonably priced and that is usually at Flying J.  The company is in serious financial trouble and is trying to recover and if they have to eliminate or change some items that previously benefited us RVers, then that's what they have to do to survive.  We would all be worse off if Flying J disappears and we have fewer choices in the future.

We should be thanking Flying J for the things they do for us with the RV Fuel Card, separate RV fuel islands, and accepting our credit cards at the truck pumps with the RV card and giving us the cash price.  Name one other major truck stop chain that does any of these things.

I second Richard's comment!  We used a Flying J today.  They've treated RVers well in the past.  If one in NE doesn't allow overnight parking it could be their community's ordinance that doesn't allow it.  Even some Wal Marts have to conform to their community's ordinances and a lot of towns are getting downright nasty about RVers parking overnight in places they don't want us to park.

ArdraF

We too would like to continue to support Flying J. While we are new to the road, we found J to be very accommodating and reasonably priced. We certainly hope they weather their financial situation!

Pubtym said:
I recently ran into this new FJ policy in NE...along with the posted sign "No RV parking overnight".. The sign was the straw that broke my hose. :eek:

Flying J has lost my future business.. :mad:

Petro amd TA's are now my planned RON stops. ;)

Charlie

So you know.. It is not Flying J in NE that bans overnight parking,, It is NE,  The campground owners assn, which includes such outfits as the parent company of Camping World, Woodalls, Good Sams et-al, has lobbied the state to prohibit overnight parking of an occupied RV anywhere in the state. EXCEPT a certified RV park

Flying J, along with several other companies (IE: Wall Mart) would like to see that law fed to the shredder, but alas.. Congress has decreed.

Flying J may not be the lowest listed priced station in town, but I know that I always get fresh fuel there, access is usually pretty good and I can use my credit card at the truck pumps without paying the 4? to 6? credit card surcharge. Since I usually fill up with between 75 and 110 gallons, using the higher speed truck pumps and not having to pay cash makes the Flying J the station of choice.

And in AZ, you can fuel at the Flying J truck islands with the RV card and not get charged the road tax that the truckers pay.  At most other truck stops, you have to use the car diesel islands to avoid the tax.

Ned said:
And in AZ, you can fuel at the Flying J truck islands with the RV card and not get charged the road tax that the truckers pay.  At most other truck stops, you have to use the car diesel islands to avoid the tax.

Thanks Ned, forgot to mention that. Also, very important, to me at least.

I discovered that the hard way.  My first and last fillup at a Love's truck stop.

There's a KOA in Mesa that I called as we were going thur Mesa to see if I could pay them to dump there.  They asked if I was staying there and I said no we're just traveling thru.  KOA said if I'm not staying I cannot dump.  At time we were KOA members and they didn't care so few times now I have passed on this KOA when I would of stayed there but I'm not about to give them any business for their lack of customer skills.  Even when u offer 2 pay they dont want your $.

Some of the comments on this site indicate a lack of knowledge, appreciation, and some lack of thinking.
As a rancher, RVer, and also CDL driver of heavy trucks, I believe I can appreciate a broad view.
Businesses such as Flying J have, and still make every effort to accomodate customers, Autos, Trucks, RV's etc. While doing so, they have to make a profit, just as I do in my business. Whether we like it or not, we are in the throes of massive economic convulsions that will affect all of us. Get used to it. We haven't seen anything yet. Most Americans Voted for it.
From my own experience, I have to laugh when I read or hear RVers complain about new costs and regulations. For every one that RVers experience, CDL Truckers have to put up with a hundred.
RVers should be thankful that they don't have to put up with Federal Agency Restrictive, expensive and frustrating DOT regulations that Truckers have to.
Be thankful for Flying J and other businesses that accomodate RVers. They are doing their best.

Understood Will, but keep in mind that RVing is a recreational activity that is based on low costs for many of us.  For 99% of the RV drivers out there, it's not a money-making commercial enterprise like trucking that you refer to.  Sure there are a lot more regulations, taxes, and fees in commercial cargo.  That's the case with every kind of business, compared to pleasure activities.  The majority of semi's and other cargo haulers also weigh a whole lot more than cars and RV's and require more road maintenance and other accommodations that don't affect the rest of us... so it's natural that the trucking industry would have to support the majority of those extra costs.  Somehow most trucks must still be making a profit or they wouldn't be on the road.  All of us RVers are willing to make some concessions to balance the current economy and keep our vacations going.  But until every campground and dump site is charging money to use it, I personally think that $10 for that service is excessive and will not pay it.  But obviously others think it's fair and Flying J will continue to get their business.

I did learn from an RVing cousin yesterday that Flying J's in southern IL are NOT charging anything for dumping yet.  It may just be a matter of time if it's a new corporate policy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom