Flying J/Pilot RV Real Awards Card - new rules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flying J may be less convenient and sometimes confusing, but here's a summary of my fuel buying experiences today -- lifted from a private travel email that I send to family and a few friends:

Then there were the 4 stops required to buy 75 gallons of diesel fuel.  The basic problem is that we have a VISA card from PenFed CU that pays a 5% rebate on fuel purchases made at the pump. We do not get the rebate if we pay at the counter inside.

At the first station, a Flying J, the card reader at the pump island was showing the message "System Down".  When I called on the courtesy phone, I was invited to "come inside and we'll set up the pump for you". I passed on the offer.  After all, 75 gallons of diesel at +/- $3.00/gal = $225.00 x 5% = $11.25!  On down the road!

At the next station we tried to use, a Loves, as we got to the end of the exit ramp we found a disabled 18 wheeler blocking both lanes of the 2 lane road we need to use to get to the station. Down the road again!

Next up, a Pilot.  The fuel islands in front of the station were totally blocked with cars and pickups so we proceed to the truck pumps in the back.  Found this message on a sticker on the pump.  "Attention VISA/MASTERCARD Customers.  VISA/MASTERCARD charges are not being paid to Pilot.  Please use another card."  Tried our Costco AMEX (3% rebate, but we need fuel!).  "Card or amount refused. See the Cashier".  Station manager tells me that only commercial/trucker fuel cards are acceptable at the truck pump card readers, but if I want, they'll take my VISA at the counter and turn on the pump for me.  I declined. VISA/MASTERCARD is not acceptable at the card reader because they are not paying charges to Pilot, but it is OK if charged at the counter????? On down the road again!

Next try was at a Shell station where the VISA was accepted at the pump, but only for $75 worth of fuel.  If I want more, bring it inside, etc.  I tried using the Costco AMEX --"See the Cashier".  "AMEX is running a fraud alert drill and the card can only be used inside and with matching ID".  AAARRGH!  Down the road again,

Final shot was another Flying J where I was able to buy $75 worth at the pump on the VISA, but got another "See Cashier" when I tried to use it again (added for RVForum readers;  yes, I did use my rewards card).  Used the Costco AMEX to get another $75 worth at the pump and called it quits for the day!

For further clarification, I always use the FJ RV pumps when possible, so there's no new info here about the situation at the truck pumps -- except that the dreaded "ATTENTION VISA/MASTERCARD CUSTOMERS" message may be coming soon.

Don

1. Went to the sites provided and it says that the RV Real Value Plus CC will only be accepted as Debit card.

I don't know where you read that. It says it will be accepted as a Mastercard. Here is a quote from the FJ site

All  TAB MasterCards including: FJ Frequent Fueler MoneyCard, RV Real Value  Plus, and Rewards Plus, will no longer function as loyalty cards. These  cards will be accepted only as MasterCards for purchases at Pilot Flying  J locations. TAB will be contacting all customers  regarding redemption of accrued points. 

I am canceling my RV Real Value Plus Mastercard from TAB. I don't need another credit card with no extra perks

Gary RV Roamer said:
I am canceling my RV Real Value Plus Mastercard from TAB. I don't need another credit card with no extra perks

Gary

If you cancel the card, your credit score will take a hit, not sure how big, since your are reducing your current approved credit availability. If you don't want to use it, just put it in a drawer and forget about it. Maybe some day, FJ/Pilot will get it's act together.

I stopped using our FJ Tab Mastercard and they closed the account for lack of use.  And our credit score did take a hit.

Gary, here is the site;

"http://www.pilotflyingj.com/loyalty/Pages/LoyaltyChangesQuickReference.aspx"

Here is the verbiage:

RV Real Value Plus ?Plus card can only be used as a debit card and will no longer earn benefits
?Account status and activity for debit transactions can be accessed here
?Card holders will need to pick up an RV Real Value card from any Pilot or Flying J location to begin enjoying benefits (see the RV Real Value section above for more information on that card)
?See frequently asked questions for additional program changes

That explains some of the seemingly conflicting reports.  The Real Value Plus card is the Mastercard and no longer a rewards card.  Holders of those cards need to get a RV Real Value card to restore their benefits.  Those of us with the RV Real Value rewards card will get the same benefits as always, except the cash price with a credit card at the truck islands being temporarily discontinued.  It all makes sense now.

The Real Value Plus card is the Mastercard and no longer a rewards card.  Holders of those cards need to get a RV Real Value card to restore their benefits.

Correct, the R.V. Real Value Plus card is a MasterCard debit card.  The R.V. Real Value Member card, however, is a rewards card.  This rewards card will automatically produce the following fuel discounts at all Pilot and Flying J locations: Propane - $0.10, Unleaded Fuel (any grade) - $0.02 (100 gallon monthly limit), Diesel - $0.03 (300 gallon monthly limit).

It is so confusing.  I have the R.V. Real Value Member card and have actually used it for a few years now.  It can only be used at the indicated RV lanes.

I also have a Flying J Frequent Fueler card that is also a rewards card or what they now call a 'Driver Payback' card.  Unless you intend to take showers there, this card is pretty much worthless. New card holders must earn 500 points before their first redemption can take place.  They will convert 1 unused Frequent Fueler point into 100 Driver Payback points after 9/1/2010.  You earn 1 point for each gallon of diesel you purchase thereafter and you can earn 1 shower credit with the purchase of a minimum of 50 gallons of diesel fuel per transaction.  Since I currently have no Frequent Fueler points (shower credits expire after 5 days) and don't intend to take showers there anyway, I think I'll pitch this card.  :'(

Flying J/Pilot has so many different cards it's easy to see why people are confused.  The only important card is the RV Real Value Member card that works now just as it always has in the RV and car lanes.  The only loss, hopefully temporary, is the use of the truck islands.  There is no need to replace this card, only the holders of the RV Real Value Plus Mastercard need to get a new RV Real Value Member card.

It certainly doesn't help that the names are so similar.

I stand corrected re what Pilot/FJ says. Had not found that page before. It conflicts with the other page that Icited, whch says it is a Mastercard.

TAB Bank doesn't call my RV Plus Mastercard a "debit card" and it sure acts like a credit card.  They bill me monthly and there is no interest if I pay up within 30 days. After that they charge interest. And it is in no way associated with my bank account, as debit card would have to be. 

I have no idea what FJ means when they say it is a debit card only, but they don't accept it at the truck pumps any longer. Or any other credit card as near as I can tell. With or without a discount. I didn't try using it inside, since I have other cards that give me a cash rebate.

Don't be fooled into keeping a credit card you don't need or want. Unless it's a credit card you have had for 20 years, or it's your only card, it won't make that much difference. And that's advice from Experian.

gmsboss1 said:
Final shot was another Flying J where I was able to buy $75 worth at the pump on the VISA, but got another "See Cashier" when I tried to use it again (added for RVForum readers;  yes, I did use my rewards card).  Used the Costco AMEX to get another $75 worth at the pump and called it quits for the day!
[/i]

Don

Thanks Don.  I was starting to believe that it was just me that this was happening to! 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom