FMCA 4 Wheeler Rally in Moab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty Brewer said:
We had done  this run with the Happy Trails group last October and it is worthy of a repeat with the scenery and variety of vistas.

Betty

Is it Sunshine VW accessible ?

Wendy,

We hiked to Corona Arch a few years ago. Not a bad hike but about 1 1/2 miles. I think at one section we had to climb the slick rock using a cable and foot holds. Still wasn't bad.

Corona is on rt. 279 along the Colorado. If you check google and go past the 180 degree bend, there is a photo of Corona. Attached is one I took during our hike.

Attachments

• Corona Arch.JPG
    Corona Arch.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 21
Wendy,
I don't recommend taking a VW on the road to Bartlett Canyon overlook. There is at least one climb that would be challenging and some of the ledges are higher than a stock or close to stock VW could handle. We do have an open rear seat (less Toby room).
Ernie

Wendy said:
Is it Sunshine VW accessible ?

Wendy,

When we went out to  Tusher Tunnel we did it with Yellow Sunshine in mind.  You could make  it that far but  beyond  that we would not recommend.  It woud be an out and back for you with a nice  smallish hike at  the tunnel vista area. Let's talk Sunday.

BB

Thanks for the info. We're looking forward to next week. And FWIW, Sunshine is not a stock VW, Sunshine is a strong, brave VW with 12" of ground clearance :)

Wendy

To tout VW's , today on Hells Revenge ( a 4 rated trail)  we witnessed 4 VW Westfalia's bouncing and skidding down the road.  They held up our group considerably when one of them got stuck in deep sand  after attempting a very  rocky steep  climb. Our leader winched him up the grade and at the end of the trail we learned they only had one broken axel, two flat tires and a bunch of unhappy women in passenger seats. 

There is NO WAY  those type of vehicles should have been on that trail. But it makes a good story.  I will post photos after dinner.

Betty Brewer said:
To tout VW's , today on Hells Revenge ( a 4 rated trail)  we witnessed 4 VW Westfalia's bouncing and skidding down the road.  They held up our group considerably when one of them got stuck in deep sand  after attempting a very  rocky steep  climb. Our leader winched him up the grade and at the end of the trail we learned they only had one broken axel, two flat tires and a bunch of unhappy women in passenger seats. 

There is NO WAY  those type of vehicles should have been on that trail. But it makes a good story.  I will post photos after dinner.

Many anos ago, in southern NM, several of us struggled to ride enduro style motos up a daunting climb to a forest fire lookout tower.  Probably a 6 mile, 15% climb over loose rocks, boulders, a few downed trees and numerous switchbacks... but we made it... only to see a VW parked next to the lookout tower and a smallish woman starring down at us, probably wondering why anyone would bother to ride up there.  She drove that road up/down twice a week with no problems.

VW bugs and Things make great off-road vehicles - especially if you raise the Bug a bit as Mike and Wendy have done.

But the Westfalia is the bus camper.  Although they came out with an AWD version towards the end of it's production it's just too big and ungainly for serious trail riding.  And it's fulltime 4WD with a differential between the front and rear axles, not 4WD with a transfer case that can be locked to send power to both axles if one end loses traction.

Fins and Things was our introduction to Moab offroad (last Saturday) and it was the most fun ride we've taken so far. Today it's Poison Spider with high hopes; we've come a ways!
Have a great day everyone!
Ernie

And we will  do our last run of the FMCA 4 Wheeling rally on Flatiron Mesa, another first run for us.

I was too whipped after yesterday's run to post any photos, maybe today.  I am looking forward to Sunday for a day of rest!

Lou Schneider said:
But the Westfalia is the bus camper.  Although they came out with an AWD version towards the end of it's production it's just too big and ungainly for serious trail riding.  And it's fulltime 4WD with a differential between the front and rear axles, not 4WD with a transfer case that can be locked to send power to both axles if one end loses traction.

And that's the problem. Many (most?) of the people who buy the newer AWD Westies think they can take them anywhere. In theie defense, the Westies do have good good clearance with nothing underneath to damage :)

Wendy
Busy loading up the motorhome

So Sarge, Ernie,
How were your runs? 

We did Flat Iron Mesa and there was one very scary corner to  maneuver that  I walked,  but the day was perfect. We had competent spotters , good fellow 4 wheelers and  when my dinner settles I will show you a photos or two.

Betty Brewer said:
How were your runs?

Had a small mechanical issue at the start that I got resolved. But we had our dog with us, it was her first time doing "real" off road stuff. By the time we got to the second set of rest rooms, she was a wreck. She had been trying to get into the DW's lap and was totally freaked out. We wound up pulling out and heading back to the RV with her.  No more off road for the dog..........

Lou Schneider said:
So Betty - where are the pictures of the idiot unfortunate Westies? 

Lou,

Here are a few shots of the  event after a long wait.  I walked up  several rigs to get a view only to see that our leader had him almost winched to the top.  I missed all the action but I think the photos show  the issues .

Attachments

• Hells Revenge May 11, 2012 2-36 AM.JPG
    Hells Revenge May 11, 2012 2-36 AM.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Hells Revenge May 11, 2012 2-37 AM.JPG
    Hells Revenge May 11, 2012 2-37 AM.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Hells Revenge May 11, 2012 2-037.JPG
    Hells Revenge May 11, 2012 2-037.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Hells Revenge May 11, 2012 2-041.JPG
    Hells Revenge May 11, 2012 2-041.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 34
SargeW said:
We wound up pulling out and heading back to the RV with her.  No more off road for the dog..........

I am so sorry for you and for the dog.  But now you know.  You gave it a good old try!

BB

On this last day of the FMCA 4 Wheeling event in Moab we ran the trail called Flat IronMesa.  We had excellent  company ( 18 rigs) excellent guidance /leadership.  Thank you Tony and Linda.  Not all of the  18 starters finished the run and  here are a few highlights. 

Betty
We promise not to take any  RVForum rally attendes on this run this next week.

Betty

Attachments

• Flat Iron Mesa May 11, 2012 10-23 PM.JPG
    Flat Iron Mesa May 11, 2012 10-23 PM.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Flat Iron Mesa May 12, 2012 1-08 AM.JPG
    Flat Iron Mesa May 12, 2012 1-08 AM.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Flat Iron Mesa May 12, 2012 1-50 AM.JPG
    Flat Iron Mesa May 12, 2012 1-50 AM.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Flat Iron Mesa May 12, 2012 1-51 AM.JPG