FMCA 4-Wheeler rally - Moab Utah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The pictures are great.  Do you have to have a jeep to get to all these places? 

We will be there in Aug but will be in our 4x4 super duty ford.  I would love to be able to see some of the sights without the rock climbing. 

If someone would give me a Rubi I would love to do the rock climbing too. ;D

Robin

You could actually do some of the trails in your truck, but your wheelbase might be a big impediment.  There are many rental Rubicons available and/or you can take a guided tour.  It is quite beautiful here.

Do you have to have a jeep to get to all these places?
We will be there in Aug but will be in our 4x4 super duty ford.  I would love to be able to see some of the sights without the rock climbing.

There are tons of trails around Moab. We did a lot in our stock Explorer and also many in our classic VW bug. You can buy guide books and you can pick up free flyers at the Moab VC that will help you explore the area without doing extreme rock climbing. There's also great hiking if you want to get out of your vehicle and move.

Wendy

Thanks,

We plan on hiking but it's nice to know we can get around in our truck or take a guided tour. 

We're planning a 3 day stop in Moab on our way to Yellowstone.  Hopefully next year we can do 2 to 3 weeks around Utah.

Last night was the  final FMCA 4Wheeling event.  It was a dinner catered by an outfit in Montrose.  Rib City Grill BBQ.  Yummmmm. Raffle tickets were drawn and with  my $20 worth of tickets, I won a handmade necklace earring set and 25% off work materials  with Clayton Off Road Manufacturing. The  $ raised goes to KOTO (Keep our trails open) a fund developed by FMCA 4 Wheelers to let  legislators will know we want to  wheel on our public lands!

The auction was a hoot as well.  Our very own Bill Roscoe  donated a bunch.  One was  an $80 bottle of wine.  I thought John Canfield was going to  choke when  he learned the value of wine Bill had been pouring for him all evening!  And as auctions go, Bill bought his own bottle of wine  back.

The  photos were  exquisite even though  mine did not win.  The 50 Photo entries  really captured the essence of the rally as we saw things and places we had not traveled. Gave me ideas for future  rallies!

This morning is  MUSICAL MOTORHOMES at Portal as rigs  change sites for the upcoming week.  Stay tuned for RVForum events posted under Rallies , Shows and Events.

Roadhappy said:
The pictures are great.  Do you have to have a jeep to get to all these places? 

If someone would give me a Rubi I would love to do the rock climbing too. ;D

Robin

"Jeeps" are popular in Moab but ATV's, bicycles and motorcycles are also really popular and often go places that, even Jeeps, cannot go.

We had a small group (about eight) for Poison Spider yesterday and beautiful weather. We remembered our trail leader from the very first trail we ran in our new-to-us Rubicon at the 2011 Chili Challenge - we've come such a long way since then (just empty every pocket.)

This trail is certainly no harder than a 3.5 if you take the easier lines and/or bypasses and if you take the harder lines then the difficulty gets bumped to maybe a 4.0. My buddy Don was in front of me and I followed him for the entire day on his lines (for the most part) except for a very steep optional wall descent - I think he slid down the last six feet and hit bottom so hard I watched his rear tires bounce off the wall about half a foot. Don said "that caught me by surprise - I've done this one previously - it's way more undercut now...I should have looked it over first...". We backed up and went a different way  8) .

Later in the day on our way out we had quite a traffic jam at the sand dune area - dirt bikes, side-by-sides, full size vehicles, you name it and it was there.

I really liked the obstacles on Poison Spider but most of the trail was a rocky and rough ride, don't think I'll do this one again.

Attachments

• TireSizes.jpg
    TireSizes.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Wedgie.jpg
    Wedgie.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 17
  • WedgieJKU.jpg
    WedgieJKU.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 17
  • WedgieDescent.jpg
    WedgieDescent.jpg