FOOL'S TRIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ardra, Wendy, you're sweethearts, both of you!  ;D

I have told Dani that I will support whatever she decides. I'm in the popular "Yes, Dear" mode, at this time.

Today, she got the "clean bill of health" from two of her doctors and the same from Jasper's vet. All are writing letters for her to carry, regarding her status and that of HER SERVICE ANIMAL, JASPER! The latter to rebuff objections from all three types of public transport, who do not know the ADA law, apparently. These letters, to be picked up tomorrow and Thursday should do that issue in. Very clear statements of Federal Law, regarding service animals. I was pretty surprised. I had nothing to do with it. She can get to be pretty assertive.

(I was going to say, "Pretty assertive for a woman." but couldn't find the "tongue in cheek" smiley.)

I am the "Gofer." I gofer this and gofer that. All options are still on the table, as far as I can tell. One more has been added. Grayhound is now in the running. Two days each way, with many stops for exercising the dog. She wouldn't have to drive. Rent a car when she gets there. Lowest fare. Having trouble with what they can require for the "Service Dog." Legally, they can require nothing. She's being charitable, and, as I said, acquired letters. They want letters. So much for ADA.

I'm in the popular "Yes, Dear" mode, at this time.

Sounds reasonable to me!  ;)

I never considered the Grayhound idea because I thought it might be too hard on both of them, but maybe not.  Only Dani and Jasper know the answer to that and they'll let you know when they're ready!

ArdraF

She is really concentrated on Jasper's well-being. She doesn't like the idea of traveling while winterized, although I think we can do it. There are other considerations I have not mentioned. Don't want to bare our whole life stories. (I can't imagine anyone wanting to read the long version.)

The big sticker is the reluctance of common carriers to accept a large service animal. We'll get the requested papers. Supposedly, we don't need them, legally, but we're not looking for a fight.

Motorhome Opiton is still available. Don't know where it is, on the list.

Ray D  :-\

Ray,

Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier but Harley Man jogged my memory.

Have you checked with MT. Home AFB for the availability of a space A flight from there to Tinker AFB at OKC?  I used to fly space A all over the place.

There are lots of other general aviation groups like Honor Flight that you might also check with. On Mercy Medical's home page they list a lot of links to other organizations. Give one of them a call. If they don't have anything maybe they could put you in contact with someone we don't know about.

Good Luck

Well, she has every method of travel planned, in detail. Coming down to the deadline for decision. Every day, I think she has decided, and find that she needs to recheck one option or another. At this point, it appears Amtrack, with a private room, has the edge. Yesterday, I thought the RV was back in front.

By the way, I just thought of something.  Knowing the background of her problems in OKC, is she likely to have increased issues going there?  I'm thinking it might be really important for you to be with her for moral support and I don't just mean with her mother.

Ardra, I have come to think that facing OK City alone, may be a component in this. She may want to prove something, while she's there. She has talked about visitng the bombing memorial, while she's there. Yes, it scares the heck out of me! She thinks she can find a friend who would go with her. I have been "side planning" a rescue mission, and have no good ideas, yet. How do you "stand by for everything?"  ??? ???

We have relented on the ADA rules. All of the common carriers are insisting on "Papers, Please." So, for the service animal, we have the papers, (letters) all of them. I pick them up, today, including all of her doctors, and Jaspers "certifiction" and shots/health records.

I, for one, will  be glad when this is history.  :-\

Ray D

Don, Thanks for picking up on this, The only reason that my  mind triggered on this was an article in yesterday's paper showing A WWII vet and  his  son about to be flown to the WWII memorial from this area with Sen. Dole to greet the plane!

Ray,

You may be right about the "need" to go back and revisit the past.  If so, this is something she really, really needs to do for own future.  The fact that she's even talking about it seems very positive to me.  It's like the Vietnam vets (or any other war for that matter) who avoid going to the memorial for years but finally decide it's time to go.  There are just some things in our life that we need to face in order to move forward and maybe visiting her mother is really her excuse to do what she needs to do.  We'll all keep our fingers crossed that it's a positive experience.

ArdraF

Well, it's Amtrak!  :-\

She just confirmed a reservation and paid for it, on Amtrak.

Boise to SLC by Shuttle. Amtrak, California Zephyr to Galesburgh, Ill. Private room for two. Switch to Southwest Chief, back to Kansas City. Bus to OK City. Reverse is simply reverse of schedule. (I hope it's "simply.") Would be nice if this works as advertised. It would be a first.

She has used the shuttle several times, before. It has been the only reliable part of her various trips on Amtrak. Jasper has his own seat, on the shuttle and on the bus, both ways, between K.C. and OK C. Ranks right up there. Paid extra for that. (No extra charge on the shuttle.)

She will rent a car and find a motel in OK City. All things equal, she will be gone, two weeks.  ::)

Ardra, you are either very close or right on. I'm not sure.

I have finished chewing the nails on one hand. Saving the other hand for the trip. Have toenails, if it comes to that.  ::)

At least, she'll be camping out in style in her private room, on the train. That part goes well, no matter how late they are. She likes looking out the window when she's not sleeping.  ;D

Ray D

I suspect this is the wrong forum for this question, but - - - -
Integris Medical Center, Southwest, Oklahoma City.
Anybody got a recommendaion for a motel/hotel in Southwest Oklahoma City? Car rental agency? Any other useful stuff?  ???

harley man said:
Don, Thanks for picking up on this, The only reason that my  mind triggered on this was an article in yesterday's paper showing A WWII vet and  his  son about to be flown to the WWII memorial from this area with Sen. Dole to greet the plane!

Thanks for jogging my memory. I should have thought of it sooner.

To bad that 05 Cherokee in your sig line isn't a Piper Cherokee.  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom