for those with pick-ups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickf

for pick-ups, ha anyone invesigated or have an undercover tonneau?
look pretty good and are lightweight.
thanks,
Rickf

I've had them in the past.  If that is enough space for your stuff, they'll work fine, however security can be a problem unless you buy one of the higher end lockable models.  I like having a topper much better myself.

Also, I've never had any sort of cover that didn't leak dust when driving on dusty road.  I've tried hard to try to keep it out by plugging all the holes and using tailgate sealer kits, but none have worked to my satisfaction.  I have a Leer topper on my present truck and it's not been too bad, however several hundred miles of road like the Dalton Hwy in Alaska leaves a layer of dust on everything.

I had an Extand Solid Fold.  I prefered it to a full piece as I could fold two of the panels on top of the 3rd one and have 2/3 of my box exposed if I needed to load tall items.  2 wing nuts to remove it.

Combined with a locking tailgate, it's semi secure.  I say semi because if they want it, they will get in.  A camping axe is all that's needed even if it was solid.

I had an undercover plastic tonneau on my 2005 Dodge and I really liked it. It was light enough that my wife and I could easily remove it entirely when we wanted to haul something big.  Previously, I had a fiberglass tonneau on my 99 GMC.  But the fiberglass was so heavy and so difficult to remove, it was a real pain.

I have had both the rolling cover and the folding ones as well. I think in the long run I preferred the folding cover. Not only for the reason Gary mentioned, but on both trucks I had a sliding rear window which I liked to keep open for air flow.  The rolling cover would rattle at speeds over about 40 and get real loud at highway speeds. 

Other than that they were both quality units. 

rickf said:
for pick-ups, ha anyone invesigated or have an undercover tonneau?
look pretty good and are lightweight.
thanks,
Rickf

Had one for about 6 months''--liken it so far.

I have an Undercover tonneau on my 2004 Silverado.  I have really liked it and like the fact that it is lockable.  Also, it is lightweight and easy to take off if you need to, yet strong enough hold several hundred pounds on top.  I have had it for 4 years and it has been trouble free.

I put one of these on a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/

We've been blasted with some pretty heavy rain for the last couple of weeks and everything has stayed dry so far! I'm pretty happy with it.

I've used a few different covers on various trucks over the years and my 2 favorites are the solid fiberglass cover I got from SnugTop (although their customer service when I had a warranty issue was HORRIBLE...I probably wouldn't buy another one from them not because of the product, but the service). I liked it because it was the cleanest looking cover on the market with only 2 flush mounted key holes on the top...no handles or weird body lines. That was for a custom truck I used to own.

My next favorite is the Bakflip because it's fairly clean looking and very convenient if you need to put something taller into the bed of your truck or if you had a 5th wheel hitch or something where a normal cover would be a hassle. I actually got if for a couple hundred less than the Undercover (Which is what I was originally looking at). The only downside I guess is it doesn't lock, however if you have a locking tailgate, it's fairly secure, as you need to open the tailgate to lift the cover...

Ive had canopies too, but I'm not a huge fan of them unless you have a constant need for one.

BigLarry said:
Also, I've never had any sort of cover that didn't leak dust when driving on dusty road. 

If I was concerned about stuff riding around in the back of a pickup with a cover on it getting dusty, I would just buy a Suburban. I think once we start using a Truck even close to what a truck is supposed to be used for and then expect the box to stay showroom pristine is defeating the purpose of a truck.  It's one thing if a pick-up leads a pampered mall rat/concrete jungle lifestyle, but I feel a truck is a truck and there are reasons why I have one.

Just my humble opinion and two cents.

I do have a roll up cover and unless I spend the day out in the country, or in a blinding rainstorm, everything stays dust free or dry. If I am concerned with something and I cannot fit it into the cab, well I hope that it is not raining or I get creative with a tarp and hope for the best.

Oly

I had an Undercover on my first truck and loved it (it is still with the truck with the guy I sold it to just down the street).  When I went to a 5th wheel, I got the Extang Tri-Fold.  I could keep the cover on with the 5th wheel hooked up.  That was on my longbed.  With my new shortbed, I have a BakFlip G2 that folds in 4 sections, and will fold up against windshield to give you all but 6" of access to the bed of the truck. 

looked all around, and it fell down to two,  the extang tri-fold
and the undercover.  the undercover won out.  been loading
thetruck for the cross country trek and so far, so good.

Rick f

one other productose that might still be looking
I bought a Rugged Cover about  years ago.
soft top, tri fold, removes entirely in about a minute.
still in good shape after 4 years and 60k miles
does not have to be removed to use with 5th wheel
it was about $300

What to get all depends on your needs ! :)

I got this one for $243 delivered :  http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/60A4819A0A0.aspx

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=tonno+pro&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16355566420455092330&sa=X&ei=cxWoT4n-MuaQ2QX0lo2oAg&ved=0CPkBEPMCMAM

and it takes MAX 5 minutes to install and uninstall and no rain leaks, in fact too sealed, even the hard rains my bed is dusty ...
but it does well for us...
easy access to bed with just opening and closing the tailgate,
easy foldup to 1/3rd size and hooked to 5th wheel,
protects the hitch when not towing as I usually don't take the hitch off....

I have a rolling lockable cover on my F250. Aside from the noise when I leave my rear window open, I love it. Strong enough to stand on (although I haven't) keeps things reasonably dry and certainly out of sight. When my 5er is hooked up, I can close the cover to just short of the king pin and keep stuff under there and be comfortable that stuff is not going to be blown away.

Bob

BigLarry said:
I've had them in the past.  If that is enough space for your stuff, they'll work fine, however security can be a problem unless you buy one of the higher end lockable models.  I like having a topper much better myself.

Also, I've never had any sort of cover that didn't leak dust when driving on dusty road.  I've tried hard to try to keep it out by plugging all the holes and using tailgate sealer kits, but none have worked to my satisfaction.  I have a Leer topper on my present truck and it's not been too bad, however several hundred miles of road like the Dalton Hwy in Alaska leaves a layer of dust on everything.

Larry, for the dust getting in through the tailgate flip up, maybe this would help, I had one on my Bronco and it worked great to keep the dust away from the rear of the truck.

http://www.autoanything.com/deflectors/60A2924A0A0.aspx

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom