ford 250 diesel 2015 truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davestp

OK waiting on my ford 250 diesel truck to be delivered and was wondering if it going to be big enough to pull a 2015 carbon 327 toy hauler
with a dry weight of 11880 lbs. and carry capacity of 4620 lbs. i assume you add the two together for total weight.
truck rated to pull 16500 to 17000

Whats the trailers GVWR?
Is it a TT or fifth wheel?
Based on your numbers the trailer could weigh 16000 pounds.  If it is a fifth wheel that means your pin weight could exceed 3000 pounds.  Trucks weight plus 3000 pounds could exceed your RAWR, tire capacity and/or trucks GVWR.  Not going to be a good mix IMHO!

I had a Furd 250 that I bought new to tow my new (then) 5th wheel.  Had the truck 4 months.  3-1/2 of those months  were waiting for my trailer to arrive.  My trailer is a LOT lighter than yours and it overloaded the truck.  That's why I now have a 3500 dually.

davestp said:
i think the rawr is rated at 6290 lbs.
also trailer says pin weight 2820.

That is DRY pin weight, which is pretty much useless.  20% of the trailers 16000+ GVWR is going to put you over 3000 on  the  pin.  Which in real terms is going to put you way over RAWR and tire load ratings.  That big of a trailer really needs a dually, not some marginal truck.  It is your ultimate decision, but IMHO your making the wrong one.

well its a little late now, done deals .
but the rating on wheel axle capacity by ford is 6200lbs
tire rating 6830.
towing capacity 15900.
its not like i am, hauler this thing every day .
i plan on leaving it sit at lake and going two to 3 trips for now .
looks like i might have to trade up in a few years ,

You have to subtract the weight of the truck from that rear axle rating. I bet you will be over by a few hundred pounds when you get it to a scale. And it doesn't really matter how many trips a year you take, it only takes a mile to have something go wrong.

Just my opinion but if you can afford a hudred grand plus for a truck, trailer and the toys to put in it you can probably afford the couple grand the dealer is going to hit you to change your order and be safe.

I agree with the other guys.  That's too much pin weight on an F250.  Cancel the F250 and order an F350, and at that weight you're getting into dually territory too.  The dealer won't mind....he will be glad to sell you the bigger truck.

if you take a look not even a 2015 F350 srw will tow it - or barely weight capacity is 3310 lbs minus2820 = 490lbs
that 490 has to include drivers and all passengers cargo including hitch (200lbs) fuel about 600 lbs do the math
i have a 2015 voltage 3305 which i tow behind my 2013 3500 chev capacity is 4125 my trailer is 2831lb hitch = 1294 lbs i am 230 my wife 165 2 dogs 180 hitch 180lbs = 752 BEFORE FUEL
i havent bagged my truck yet (only pulled the trailer twice - we picked it up late sept ) but i will before long even still im on the limit

a chev dually is 5484 payload -6245
a ford dually long box is 5310-6460

if loaded correctly the pin weight doesnt need to increase buy much - there are lots of guy that pull these with 3/4 tons with bags or supersprings etc is it advisable probably not but they do it anyway - my trailer rarely has more than about 1000lbs of gear food etc - we rarely travel with water and we load the cargo area with anything heavy anyway. last year i pulled in to campsite long side a 3/4ton pulling a 40ft road warrior he had no issues at all, just air bags

I see the Weight Police are out today.

The answer to your question is that no, your F250 is not going to handle the PIN weight that such a trailer puts out.  3/4 ton rear axle components and the Sterling axle housing are not strong enough to handle that large of a fifth wheel trailer.

Contact your Ford dealer right away to see if the truck order has been scheduled into final production.  (They can look up the status on their Ford computer.)

Have them either change your order over to a F350 dual rear wheel truck--or order a duplicate truck with duals.  I have not checked recently, but the duals are just about $1k more than SRW.

Another solution without sacrificing the better empty ride of the F250 over a heavier hauler:

http://www.automatedsafetyhitch.com

Explore the site, and watch the videos.  It is impressive as a 5th wheel hauler, with extra wheels and better braking.

Certainly worth considering. May not fit your needs, but an option to be aware of.....

^^^ I'll take that as a compliment. :)
No connection with the organization whatsoever.
In certain situations, appears to be a better mousetrap. Shorter stopping distance is safer.

My understanding* (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the tires on the NEW 1 tons cannot be aired down to improve the empty ride. This is due to TPM that are intentionally not adjustable due to new fed regulations.
If I hauled a fiver occasionally, but mostly used it as a DD, this ASH would be attractive to me.

Yes, with effort, TPMs can be defeated, but they do provide valuable information while underway.

Not claiming to be an expert. Throwing it out as an option, since it appears to fits the situation.
I'm willing to share what little I know.... :)

*Ford truck sales person.

As far as TPMS monitors are concerned I have and $1300 snap-on tool that changes your computer setting so the TPMS light goes off when not tow, I tell the computer that the truck has passenger car tires and the light stays off. Not everyone has this capability and I don't take it with me when I tour. Just live with the light on when not towing.

Back
Top Bottom