Ford 460 - Vapor lock problem???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ford 460s tend to run warm.  Pit it in a confined plqce like in a class A and it can get,downright hot.  Carbuetors really do not like heat.  Thr gas in the fuel bowl can boil off causing vapor lock, which really is a fuel staration issue.  The OP needs to be absolutely sure there is no obsteuctions in and around the carb.

donn said:
Ford 460s tend to run warm.  Pit it in a confined plqce like in a class A and it can get,downright hot.  Carbuetors really do not like heat.  Thr gas in the fuel bowl can boil off causing vapor lock, which really is a fuel staration issue.  The OP needs to be absolutely sure there is no obsteuctions in and around the carb.

Both the OP and the latest poster's problem 460's are fuel injected.

Hi Steve....wow, thanks for all the great information in your post. I own a 1991 Ford 460 RV with the same problems, I've replaced the filter and the in-line electric pump. I am getting ready to buy an in-tank fuel pump but was hoping to hear how your problem turned out. I was wondering if you finally resolved your fuel problem? Did the OEM pump solve it? I appreciate any information, thank you!!

Stephen

Stephen, your 91 Ford 460 did not come with an inline electric fuel pump from the factory. Some one kluged up the fuel system trying to get around replacing the in tank fuel pump. Your OEM in tank pump is a gear pump and does not allow fuel to pass through it easily when not working correctly. For reliability Ford changed the pump in 1996 to a turbine pump. To properly check you fuel system you need a fuel pressure test gauge. It will connect to the right fuel rail. 32# at idle, plus or minus 1. 38# while driving at WOT plus or minus 1. You can check for the 38# at idle by pulling the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator but that won't tell you if you're getting the necessary volume.
When installing a turbine fuel pump in an older system, you will need to do some rewiring.
Wiring print
Jumper cable

Richard

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back