Ford F-150 Lightning review.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think EV's are first going to penetrate the "Sunday Driver" Crowd As a "run about Town" where you always make it home to re-charge. Long distance... Unless you carry an auxiliary power unit (ICE powered generator) you may have a problem. One charger near me however is well located. It is not at a gas station. It is in back of a Bar/Grill.. Lunch and re-charge wile eating.

I think EV's are first going to penetrate the "Sunday Driver" Crowd As a "run about Town" where you always make it home to re-charge. Long distance... Unless you carry an auxiliary power unit (ICE powered generator) you may have a problem. One charger near me however is well located. It is not at a gas station. It is in back of a Bar/Grill.. Lunch and re-charge wile eating.
Hmm. Are you talking about towing? Because people regularly use EV’s for cross country road tripping. For most people’s driving habits it makes little or mo difference to driving a gas vehicle. I’m not sure why you think it would.

Unless you carry an auxiliary power unit (ICE powered generator) you may have a problem.
Unlikely with a 300+ mile range EV. Even half that range will get you across the US these days on any of the major freeways.

But if you want to carry that genny, the 2025 Ramcharger is the way to go. Better range than most ICE vehicles.

And take your pick between gas stops and charge stops, if the 690 miles of range isn't enough on your full charge and full tank to start out with.

-Don- Reno, NV

Because people regularly use EV’s for cross country road tripping.
Really? I have a hard time believing that. I know you do, but I just got home from a 2 month trip—saw lots of Ev’s but don’t recall any that weren’t local. Same with last years 4 month trip.

Sure some do, but not regularly.

Really? I have a hard time believing that. I know you do, but I just got home from a 2 month trip—saw lots of Ev’s but don’t recall any that weren’t local. Same with last years 4 month trip.

Absolutely incorrect. There is no reason they wouldn’t be.

Really? I have a hard time believing that.
I don't know why you have a difficult time believing that.

I have a buddy, Eric, who goes to PA twice per year in his Tesla from here in Reno to visit his family there. The same year and model as mine. We purchased ours together. I have only ~16,000 miles on my Telsa. Eric now has close to 200,000 miles on his that last time I saw him. Probably over 200K by now.

You must be confused with 15 years ago when things were different.

Visit a Tesla Supercharger station on your way next time, Probably NONE of those Teslas will be local (at least very unlikely).

-Don- Reno, NV

One says I’m wrong…….period.
Other say I know a guy. Lol

I said I know folks do it. But it’s not a regular thing for the majority. Jeeeez.

I said I know folks do it. But it’s not a regular thing for the majority. Jeeeez.
Yah. It is. But that’s ok. I’m just not sure why people think it wouldn’t be. Why wouldn’t people want to take an EV on a road trip?

Unlikely with a 300+ mile range EV. Even half that range will get you across the US these days on any of the major freeways.
8 hours at 50 MPH average is 400 miles.. I think professional drivers are now allowed 11/day that's 550 miles and again that is at an AVERAGE speed of 50mph. at 75mph add 200 miles to the 8 hour day you are now pushing your 600 mile range vehicle to the re-charge.

Of course if there is no charger where you stop for the night... Now you got a real issue.

Hmm. Are you talking about towing? Because people regularly use EV’s for cross country road tripping. For most people’s driving habits it makes little or mo difference to driving a gas vehicle. I’m not sure why you think it would.
But to be fair most people aren't towing a tiny teardrop trailer like you do.
1711720778308.png

I wonder if it would carry as much weight with them if we knew a guy that got stranded trying to drive across country or even getting to work.

If we had to drive across country suddenly, we'd probably prefer to take the EV. It's definitely the more comfortable vehicle versus a Jeep on 35's and 4.56 gearing. Charger availability would be a thing, but with two of us and the ability to plan our stops, I don't think it would be a big deal. It wasn't a big deal when we had to do almost 400 miles going to Idaho. We stopped to charge mid-way in the literal middle of nowhere, because there were chargers. Rinse/repeat for longer days.

It's very much like using the TSD app for diesel truck stops in the RV, actually. Look ahead, plan the stops.

The only difference I see in EV vs ICE cross-country travel is the need to be somewhat more cautious in planning re-fueling stops. ICE you can do pretty much at whim, whereas EV still requires a bit of forethought.

I wonder if it would carry as much weight with them if we knew a guy that got stranded trying to drive across country or even getting to work.
I would be curious what type of mistake "the guy" made. Just as with running out of gas, it is usually operator error.

BTW, that is why they now have the home wireless charging for those who want it. Some people have forgot to charge up when they got home after they needed it and didn't have enough charge to get to work the next day. Most do not charge every night, so it's easy to forget when you need it.

But my last Tesla update said something about it will now put an extra warning on the screen (I assume with beeps) as soon as I get home when my charge is down below 20 percent or whatever. I have not seen the message as I have not ever been that low. I only read about it in a recent OTA update.

-Don- Reno, NV

I would be curious what type of mistake "the guy" made. Just as with running out of gas, it is usually operator error.

BTW, that is why they now have the home wireless charging for those who want it. Some people have forgot to charge up when they got home after they needed it and didn't have enough charge to get to work the next day. Most do not charge every night, so it's easy to forget when you need it.

But my last Tesla update said something about it will now put an extra warning on the screen (I assume with beeps) as soon as I get home when my charge is down below 20 percent or whatever. I have not seen the message as I have not ever been that low. I only read about it in a recent OTA update.

-Don- Reno, NV
Thanks for proving his point. You would look at what the owner did wrong because there is just no way it could be the fault of the EV.

whereas EV still requires a bit of forethought.
But not much. Use the navigation system before you leave to see if there is a problem with any chargers on the way. Most chargers connect to the web and you can see how many are in use, how many available and if any are broken at each location and such before leaving.

Can check for them hundreds of miles away as in this case shown below.

Even the Plugshare map is live. Such as right now it shows both the charges at Klamath, CA as unavailable:

"CCS/SAE 2 Plugs 62 kW 2 Stations
2 Unavailable
ChargePoint"

And also show why they are unavailable (both broken "out of order" in this case):

1711724551320.png

I did above right from this computer. It would have shown the same in my Tesla.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom