Ford F-150 Lightning review.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like the tired old saying in IT realms, PEBKAC: "Problem exists between the keyboard and the chair..." If you run an EV out of juice, you're doing it intentionally. Same with a gas vehicle. There's a gauge, warning lights, and in EV's....it will find chargers and guide you there, well in advance.

There's a gauge, warning lights, and in EV's....it will find chargers and guide you there, well in advance.
And while even many ICE vehicles can show where gas stations are, they are not live maps. It won't tell you that the gas station is closed for repairs, out of business or whatever.

EVs tell you if any problem, live, at the current time at the charge stations.

-Don- Reno, NV

Never underestimate the knowledge of someone who clearly doesn't like EV's quoting the media.

But what I found interesting is they ruled out terrorism so quickly. Nobody finds it peculiar that this was "only" reported in Chicago? :eek:

Not all were owners, and yes, it was a comedy of errors that caused this. Not the least of which was a reporter that omitted some of the pertinent details to create a sensationalized story.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
What about when our secretary of energy had to block a charging station with a vehicle to charge on a cross country trip because other stations were broken? Was that made up as well? Asking for a friend.

Yes! A big stupid mistake. And that has been well covered here.

If they would just RTFM about cold weather charging.

-Don- Reno, NV

I think a bunch of those folks were Uber and rentals, were they not? Everyone I know who lives in a cold climate, including Chicago, know how to care and feed an EV in cold weather and they don't have these kinds of issues.

I didn't see an article about all the dead batteries and no-starts for the gas/diesel owners, and we know there were hundreds and thousands across Illinois and the Midwest so I have to assume the article was an opportunist hit-piece on EVs.

But to be fair most people aren't towing a tiny teardrop trailer like you do.
View attachment 172075
Correct. EV tow vehicles are best suited to lower weight more aerodynamic trailers. Having said that, those kind of trailers are super common here. E camped in lots of campgrounds last summer where it was rare to see a dual axle trailer.

But yah, we have also camped all over the US and those kind of campgrounds are much less common there. Really more of an access and site size issue. Little trailers are much more common here for sure.

Thanks for proving his point. You would look at what the owner did wrong because there is just no way it could be the fault of the EV.
Well yah. Same as a gas car. If it runs out of gas it’s not the cars fault. One needs a basic skill of reading a gauge or instrumentation.

I think a bunch of those folks were Uber and rentals, were they not? Everyone I know who lives in a cold climate, including Chicago, know how to care and feed an EV in cold weather and they don't have these kinds of issues.

I didn't see an article about all the dead batteries and no-starts for the gas/diesel owners, and we know there were hundreds and thousands across Illinois and the Midwest so I have to assume the article was an opportunist hit-piece on EVs.
They were all Uber rentals. The other folks at the supercharger were trying to help them figure it out but at that point it was too late. Gotta RTFM. Cold weather operation is not a problem in cold weather. Generally speaking the more north you go the higher the adaption rate of EV’s. I would take an EV over a gasser in winter every time. Much more convenient.

I have no idea who they were, only that they didn't know what they were doing. As I have explained before, IMO, car rental places should not rent EVs to those who are not familiar with them. IMO, Hertz did the right thing to dump their EVs, at least until the near future when most will be familiar. And how to charge on the road is perhaps the biggest issue to learn. I have already had to help several people at charge stations who were in a rented EV, and that is why I come to that conclusion. I wonder what those do who had no such help.

-Don- Reno, NV

I have no idea who they were, only that they didn't know what they were doing. As I have explained before, IMO, car rental places should not rent EVs to those who are not familiar with them. IMO, Hertz did the right thing to dump their EVs, at least until the near future when most will be familiar. And how to charge on the road is perhaps the biggest issue to learn. I have already had to help several people at charge stations who were in a rented EV, and that is why I come to that conclusion. I wonder what those do who had no such help.

-Don- Reno, NV

And just think. It only gets better from this point forward, with more than 100k charging stations being added across the lower 48 in the next year alone. Definitely not a reason to discount EV's going forward as the limitations are temporary.

It only gets better from this point forward,
Yeah, and soon it will be "plug & Charge" for all. Nothing to select, just plug in and walk away. At least after an account is all set up one time. I expect soon everybody else will copy Tesla's idea and not even have any screens on the chargers.

-Don- Reno, NV

Yeah, and soon it will be "plug & Charge" for all. Nothing to select, just plug in and walk away. At least after an account is all set up one time. I expect soon everybody else will copy Tesla's idea and not even have any screens on the chargers.

-Don- Reno, NV

Well, what about those who only pay in cash? :unsure: Halt the entire movement!

Well, what about those who only pay in cash?
At some gas stations, I wish they would not accept cash.

You're waiting at the pump, but the guy in front of you goes inside and waits in a line to pay cash. Then come back out to fill up. Then goes back inside again to wait in a long line to get his change.

What can make this problem worse is when the gas station gives a discount for cash and most are going inside to pay.

While waiting at a charge station can be even longer, at least that is not often for most of us who mainly charge at home as we are doing other things or perhaps sleeping. Not many have the convenience of having a gas station at home.

-Don- Reno, NV

And just think. It only gets better from this point forward, with more than 100k charging stations being added across the lower 48 in the next year alone.
I just hope they spread them out better than they have been. 100K new chargers in the same area as others are rather useless, in most cases.

Not much of an issue on a long-range Tesla, such as mine. But it is an issue on some of my electric motorcycle rides in the CA mountains as well as here in NV.

-Don- Reno, NV

Well, what about those who only pay in cash? :unsure: Halt the entire movement!
In 2020 business's almost required a customer to use a CC so they wouldn't have to handle germ-laden money, now the pendulum has swung the other way.
This year has a new trend for using CC's. Many business owners and state governments are now adding a 3.5% surcharge for using a CC.
I'm rebelling against that 3.5%, I'm starting to carry cash again, I can't wait until the license branch sees me count out $2,000 in cash.

Back
Top Bottom