Ford F-350HD or Chevy 2500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N9ID

We are newbies and are looking at a new tow vehicle to pull the fifth wheel we want to buy (Big Horn 3010RE, Gross weight 14000 lbs).  We are looking at a Ford 350HD diesel and the Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel.  Both vehicles are very nice and capable for the task at hand.  At this point, it seems like we will decide based on which truck we 'like' better.  What should we be looking at to help us make the choice between them?  What helped make the decision for you?

I know this has probably been beaten to death, with the Ford vs. Chevy rivalry.  I have no real attachment to either brand.  Have owned both and have had good and bad experiences with both.

Thanks for your help.

Mike & Nena

Look at the tow rating of each. You have listed a 1 ton Ford and a 3/4 ton Chevy, this my not be a good comparison. 

Those are the trucks I meant.  The tow ratings are similar (15700 for the F350,16700 for the Chevy).  These numbers are for 5th wheel towing and come straight from the vehicle books from the dealers.  Both trucks are crew cab SRW.

Mike

I would question whether the 2500 has enough payload capacity to carry the pin weight of a 14,000 lb trailer. The hitch pin will have somewhere between 2800 and 3200 lbs on it and that's a lot of weight for a 3/4 ton truck. You may want to get a dually (Ford or Chevy) just for the pin weight.

Are you talking new or used? If used, be  aware that the 6.0L Powerstroke had some serious reliability issues.

I have concluded that the ideal truck would have a Ford chassis and cab with a Cummins engine and Allison transmission. I also concluded that couldn't afford one. With that mind, I just bought a 2011 Chevy 2500HD, diesel, 4x4, crew cab, long box. The weakest iink in a tv is the tranny, and I think the 6 speed Allison is the toughest (and smoothest) one available.

If you are looking at older trucks, see http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/1201dp_10_best_used_diesel_trucks/viewall.html.

Joel

I bought a new Chevy 2500 HD Duramax when my wife picked the 38' fifth wheel. Handled it just great in the mountains of Colorado, even in winter. I picke dthe Chevy over the Ford for fit and finish, quietness, and comfort.

I know we have people here who tow very large trailers with a Chevy or GMC 2500 - it's a really rugged truck. Nonetheless, they are probably exceeding the rear axle GAWR.

I currently tow with a 2500 GMC four door with a 6.5 bed. It is powered by a diesel with an Allison transmission. I have pulled it in the mountains of northeastern Arkansas, all the way into Mexico. It has been a fantastic tow vehicle. Set the cruise and go. Never lacked power at all! Two things I added that made a great deal of difference were air bags to the truck and an air ride hitch to the trailer.  Sometimes you forget the trailer is back there.  Love it.

When I drove a Chevy a Ford and a dodge unloaded on some rough roads I had no difficulty with my choice.

lavarock1210 said:
When I drove a Chevy a Ford and a dodge unloaded on some rough roads I had no difficulty with my choice.

Well there's a wealth of information!

What year model are the trucks you are looking at.  As was mentioned, while the 2500 may do a fine job of pulling, it may be overloaded with the pin weight of the trailer.  Especially after adding the hitch, and any crew and/or cargo to the truck.  We just need a little more info on the trucks you are looking at.

Based on the comments you all have made, I went back and looked at the pin weight of the 5th wheel and the payload capacity of the 3/4 ton Chevy.  Thanks for pointing that out.  we would have been overloading a 3/4 ton truck by a bit with passengers, cargo, etc.  We have decided on the Chevrolet 3500HD short bed 4WD with the diesel. engine  This truck will give of plenty of towing and weight handling capability.  While it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the Ford had, we have what we need and the Chevy just seemed to be the stouter truck.

Thanks for your help and I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom