FORD F53 CHASSIS ... ABS LIGHT ON.. ISSUE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amen

I've been told that there is a sensor on the rear axle that can cause the ABS light to come the dash. But I don't have any breaking issues? Do I have cause to be concerned? It just bugs me that's all. I could put a piece of black tape over it so I don't see the light. ;)

Loss of the ABS function does not change normal braking in any way. You simply no longer have the anti-lock-up feature available in the event of a panic stop, which could mean a skid. I think that is a concern and worth fixing, but you may not. People survived for decades without anti-lock, but they also had accidents because of that. Your mileage may vary...

I wish there was a manual for my year 2007 F53 (22k gvwr) but I have yet to find one. I'm thinking I may have a dirty sensor? And I'm assuming they have a sensor on each wheel. Some (F53) I was told have one on the rear on top of the pumpkin on the rear end. It's 25 degrees and we just got 8" of snow so I'm not in a hurry to look at it now. But will before this spring when we take it for a trip.

Sensor on pumpkin is a possibility, I had one there on a Ford Explorer that gave me an error of some kind, but I don't remember what the error was.

Maybe something here would help:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/maintenance-and-repair-manuals/ford-f53/c21504d50239j1s21.jcwx
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/Service-Manuals/Ford/F53
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAB4R9fvTmY

ABS faults are typically a wheel speed sensor, which fails to report proper status. Often it's shorted or open. The sensor can be on the wheel itself, or (for the rear) on the differential.

amyken said:
I wish there was a manual for my year 2007 F53 (22k gvwr) but I have yet to find one. I'm thinking I may have a dirty sensor? And I'm assuming they have a sensor on each wheel. Some (F53) I was told have one on the rear on top of the pumpkin on the rear end. It's 25 degrees and we just got 8" of snow so I'm not in a hurry to look at it now. But will before this spring when we take it for a trip.
Here is a few different ones for sale, not cheap though.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=carboagez&item=161111241155&_osacat=0&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.Xf53.TRS0&_nkw=f53&_sacat=0

92GA said:
Here is a few different ones for sale, not cheap though.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=carboagez&item=161111241155&_osacat=0&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.Xf53.TRS0&_nkw=f53&_sacat=0

Great! Thank you for the link!!! They are spendy but then it beats paying a mechanic (or sometimes just the time to tell the dealership what part you're looking for) to fix something that can easlity be done by myself.

I work at a school bus dealership. I wish these busses were gas and not diesel. I'd have a plethora of info available!! 

amyken said:
Great! Thank you for the link!!! They are spendy but then it beats paying a mechanic (or sometimes just the time to tell the dealership what part you're looking for) to fix something that can easlity be done by myself.

I work at a school bus dealership. I wish these busses were gas and not diesel. I'd have a plethora of info available!!

I just bought a set of manuals for my coach from that guy. Haven't got them yet. I had a set for my other coach but when I sold it last summer I gave them to my buddy. The new coach is only 3 years newer but they did make several changes in those 3 years so I bought another set. Almost a must have if you do your own work.

Amyken, did you get your ABS light to turn off?  We had our motorhome ABS light stay on for several months and had many people try to find why it wouldn't turn off.  (We were assured that everything else checked out fine and it wasn't anything dangerous.)  It happened right after Camping World installed an auxiliary braking system for our new Jeep.  They insisted they had done everything correctly and flatout refused to do anything further.  Finally on our last trip someone was working under the dashborad and discovered a loose wire near where Camping World had installed the auxiliary braking system light on the dashboard that comes on when we apply our brakes.  Sure enough, the wire was tightened and the ABS light went off.  I would check for loose wires before doing anything else, especially if you've had any work done there recently.

ArdraF

You don't say what year your F53 is and that is an important factor.  On my 2000 F53 the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) was bad.  It is mounted on top of the "pumpkin" with one screw and it provides data for the ABS and speedometer I think as well as probably other systems.  It caused the ABS light to come on sporadically but the speedo worked fine.  I agree it is generally best to "get it scanned before just changing parts" but a cheap OBDII code reader will not read the ABS codes.  You will need something or a mechanic that can read Ford specific trouble codes.  Sometimes it may be cheaper to replace a cheap part or two instead of paying for a mechanic to troubleshoot the problem.  My VSS only cost about $20 in stock at NAPA. The problem could be wheel sensors, a bad connector, damaged wires, brake control unit and on and on.  I would suggest you visually inspect all the wires and connectors you can,  clean the wheel sensors (they collect metal particles) and check the sensors with an OHM meter.  That covers a lot of the simple stuff with not too much effort when the snow melts.  My failed VSS measured as an open circuit.  That was a good clue.

And even some good scanners can't do abs issues. My Mack scanner doesn't do anything other than engine. Don't know if there is an add on part than can. My buddy brought out a Tech 2 when we worked on my truck. The impact sensors went bad, located under the front bumper. After we repaired the problem he cleared the ecm. I couldn't do that with mine.

Scanner will need to read/communicate with ABS, Sometimes a keen eye on the wiring  front and rear sensors will see damage? A lot of times crud may block or impair the sensors ability to read? Sensor is magnetic, metal shavings or other crap. Mud? common after being stuck? Tire failure /blow out will damage the harness? Wheel sensors are pretty reliable ,but do fail. Pump motor, modules Too many things to just guess at. Most shops will scan and diagnose for abt. 100 bucks? Is speedometer working? Some but not all use the rear sensor on rwal ( Rear wheel anti lock) systems for speed input.

ArdraF said:
Amyken, did you get your ABS light to turn off?  We had our motorhome ABS light stay on for several months and had many people try to find why it wouldn't turn off.  (We were assured that everything else checked out fine and it wasn't anything dangerous.)  It happened right after Camping World installed an auxiliary braking system for our new Jeep.  They insisted they had done everything correctly and flatout refused to do anything further.  Finally on our last trip someone was working under the dashborad and discovered a loose wire near where Camping World had installed the auxiliary braking system light on the dashboard that comes on when we apply our brakes.  Sure enough, the wire was tightened and the ABS light went off.  I would check for loose wires before doing anything else, especially if you've had any work done there recently.

ArdraF

Ardraf ... It's still on. And we don't have any trailer/tow hook ups to it. :/

c_oneil said:
You don't say what year your F53 is and that is an important factor.  On my 2000 F53 the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) was bad.  It is mounted on top of the "pumpkin" with one screw and it provides data for the ABS and speedometer I think as well as probably other systems.  It caused the ABS light to come on sporadically but the speedo worked fine.  I agree it is generally best to "get it scanned before just changing parts" but a cheap OBDII code reader will not read the ABS codes.  You will need something or a mechanic that can read Ford specific trouble codes.  Sometimes it may be cheaper to replace a cheap part or two instead of paying for a mechanic to troubleshoot the problem.  My VSS only cost about $20 in stock at NAPA. The problem could be wheel sensors, a bad connector, damaged wires, brake control unit and on and on.  I would suggest you visually inspect all the wires and connectors you can,  clean the wheel sensors (they collect metal particles) and check the sensors with an OHM meter.  That covers a lot of the simple stuff with not too much effort when the snow melts.  My failed VSS measured as an open circuit.  That was a good clue.

c_oneil ... Sorry .. it's a 2007 Four Winds Magellan 37Z  like in my profile. And I 'll look for one of those scanners. Sounds like It'll be a great help on the road! ;)

It's still on. And we don't have any trailer/tow hook ups to it

That was just an example of dumb things that can cause it, in our case a loose wire that a technician apparently caused when working nearby.  If you have had any work done under the dashboard check for loose wires in case someone accidentally knocked one loose.

ArdraF

We used to own a 2001 that required a new speed sensor switch on the differential, to be replaced, to get the brake lite to go off. If I remember correctly, we found a way to test it with an ohm meter and I think the control cost less than $30.00 at the time.

amyken said:
I've been told that there is a sensor on the rear axle that can cause the ABS light to come the dash. But I don't have any breaking issues? Do I have cause to be concerned? It just bugs me that's all. I could put a piece of black tape over it so I don't see the light. ;)

Your unit should not have VSS.  It should be a 4 channel system.  Look for broken/loose wires near the sensor connections.  JM2?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom