Ford Triton V-10 or Diesel Pusher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I was going to buy new, I would buy a gas unit hands down.  If I wanted the benefits of a DP, I'd buy a 2003, and plan on putting about $10,000 to completely redo the interior to my taste.  Things such as wood floors, wild life wall paper or if I could find a good painter to paint wild life scenes on the walls.  Custom stereo with my favorite speakers and a control wired into a panel near my favorite seat.  These among many others can be included in refurbishing/customizing any rig. 

But with the DP motors that include all the emission junk, they spend more time in the shop than on the road.  A repair to the DPF system can cost upwards of $10,000!  When they first came out with Unleaded only gas vehicles, they were always in the shop as well.  People would knock out the plate they put in the gas tank so we could put regular in there, they ran better and didn't have the engine run on that occurred after one turned off the engine.  Now one doesn't even think about it, they are reliable and solid.  The same will happen with diesel eventually, but the government shoved these regulations on the industry before they were able to do enough testing to produce a reliable motor.  It's a crap shoot, either you get a good one, or a good deal of engine problems to work through. 

My '06 Cat has never been in the shop for any engine or EGR related issue.  (But I haven't messed with or disabled any part of it's ECS). It's been in the shop for other things, 5 days in over 4 years.  And 2 of those days were scheduled maintenance.  Hardly qualifies for being 'in the shop more than it's out'. 

Generally speaking, generalizations are generally wrong.

8Muddypaws said:
My '06 Cat has never been in the shop for any engine or EGR related issue.  (But I haven't messed with or disabled any part of it's ECS). It's been in the shop for other things, 5 days in over 4 years.  And 2 of those days were scheduled maintenance.  Hardly qualifies for being 'in the shop more than it's out'. 

Generally speaking, generalizations are generally wrong.

Sounds like you got a good one.  Many others can't claim the same.  Many say as high as 50% are troubled.  Glad you are enjoying it and staying out of the shop.  I know guys that have spent more than 5 days in the shop on just one repair.  Better to be you than them.  I hope you continue to have good service out of your Cat.  Back in the 90's Cat made the best motor on the road.  Not long after the emission requirements came out for the 2010 system, they got out of the "on road diesel" business altogether, that says a lot for the emission standards the government is pushing on us.  The Cat 3406B was arguably one of the best motors ever made, the torque and fuel mileage of that motor was far and away better than every other motor on the road at the time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom