Ford V-10 in a class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PBR said:
Recently bought a 2017 Thor Miramar and trying to figure out best way to drive it Up and Down hills. Gas Ford Triton 6.8L V-10 362hp. I think a just 5 speed. I have read about not being too concerned with Loud, High RPMs. Going up hills not my problem. Going down hills I trying to figure out. Once I put any pressure on the brake, the transmission will downshift causing the rmps to go up. Applying more brake to slow down and keep rmps down. I question how do you make it shift back to a higher gear and release this braking. I stuck in this until bottom of hill when I push the gas peddle making engine finally go into higher gear. Any suggestions helpful.

In the two coaches that I have owned with the V10, I handled up and down in the Western USA very much the same. Pulling a 6% grade uphill I would find the engines "sweet spot", which was around 3,800 RPMs at 45 mph and drove it up the grade until I began to crest, I then back down to around 35-40 mph on a 6% downhill. Once I was heading down the mountain I would use to Tow/Haul to govern my downhill speed to around 40 mph. It is a very comfortable coach to drive in the mountains as long as you are on top of the speed.

We pull a small suv and I always have the tow on all the time. How did you handle braking down hill? Maybe I need to keep experimenting and make sure at 30-35mph at crest of hill then keep braking to keep speed under 40. Then hit the gas to make engine shift back into the gears.
Last motorhome had Cummins engine and I had toggle switch that helped engage engine into braking. So relearning to Drive

I do the same thing as John. Hit the tow/haul, brake to the speed I want, and just drive it on down the hill. The rpms do go up, but the V-10 can run 4500 rpms all day long. I ran about 5 miles of 9% down and never had to touch the brakes.

PBR said:
We pull a small suv and I always have the tow on all the time. How did you handle braking down hill? Maybe I need to keep experimenting and make sure at 30-35mph at crest of hill then keep braking to keep speed under 40. Then hit the gas to make engine shift back into the gears.
Last motorhome had Cummins engine and I had toggle switch that helped engage engine into braking. So relearning to Drive

When I begin to gain speed down a mountain grade I use the brakes purposely, that is to say, as I begin to gain speed I engage the brake sufficiently to slow the coach and toad down (I have supplemental braking in my toad) to my desired speed and the transmission kicks into a lower gear as I decelerate. On steep grades I slow to 35 if my desired speed is 40 and let it gain speed and do it again, and again until the grade flattens out. It just takes a bit of practice to keep the speed under control.

I was told when we bought motorhome that whenever I tow my vehicle, I am to always use the tow/haul, unless on flat road. Did not hurt just to use always. So I always use so this I found did not help me slow down, but will try to make sure i going slower before starting the downhill and keep braking to keep rpms between 4000/4500. Thank you

I always used to Tow/Haul from beginning to end of a trip.

Back
Top Bottom