Ford V-10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krkintex

Would like the opinions of those of you who own A-Class motorhomes (35' or thereabout) with V-10's on how those motorhomes handle the Rocky Mountains.  I'm considering the purchase of my first A class (currently own a 25' travel trailer) and am thinking about the V-10.  I'm a newbie to the forum and this is my first post.  Thanks.  krk

The Bounder (V-10) I had would slow down a lot on the 5% and 6% grades, but still kept pulling (mostly 40 mph and over), even with a Jeep towed. A bit noisy, but that's the nature of the beast. A lot, of course, depends on how much weight you're carrying/pulling, as well as the vintage of the V-10, but my Bounder was max 22,000 lbs, and we typically had it near 21,000, plus pulling a 3500 lb. Jeep.

If you really, really need to keep your speed up, and if you're doing a LOT of mountains, especially at high altitudes, a diesel might be preferable, but mostly you can do OK with the V-10, unless you're overloaded, and even then it's mostly being slower.

Our first MH had the Chevy 454.  We took it on a trip following the Mississippi river south from the Minneapolis area and found it to be underpowered on all of the steep hills.  Primarily because of that we traded up for a Ford Triton V-10.  Now doubt about it the V-10 was much better.  We have driven it through the mountains many times and were quite satisfied, however most of our mountain driving was after we I learned how to drive it.  The secret with any gas engine is to know that you really can't climb steep inclines at normal highway speeds.  The V-10 in our motorhome had no red line (I'm not sure why) but to climb at highway speed generally meant extremely high RPMs.  High RPMs have always scared me, though people here will tell you that the V-10 is built for that.  Anyhow, I would generally down shift until I found a gear that would allow me to maintain apx 3000 RPMs at which I could climb all day.  This puts you over in the truck lane sometimes traveling at 25 - 30 mph with all of the trucks.  But so what, RVing isn't about getting somewhere fast anyhow. 

We currently have a 33' Bounder with a Ford V-10 and pull a 3500 pound jeep. As others have said 5 or 6% grades will slow you down, but the engine seems to be a workhorse and doesn't seem to mind the hard labor. Our last mh had the Chevy 454 and it seemed to do all right as well, but then the other mh was much shorter and lighter. Like George, I try to keep the rpm max down around 3000.

Well stated by Dennis and George!  We have an Itasca Sunova 35ft with the Ford V-10.  Took it to the mountains last summer with no issues. 

Slow and steady climb to the top!  You have to remember it's not a sports car! 

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

I'm with the above, except that I usually try for the 3,500 to 4,000 RPM range. This engine is designed to run at high RPM and isn't hurt by doing so (or even higher, but it gets noisy4.
Frankly, slowing down to 35-45 mph for about 0.01% of the time I'm in the MH is not a significant problem and certainly not a determinant of whether I but that particular unit. I do think that the dividing point between gas and diesel is probably around 35 feet or 24,000 lb.
Ernie

As Ernie says, the V10 can wind up a lot of RPMs without no stress. A V10 engine is designed to be high-reving - that's the advantage of more but smaller/lighter pistons.

Gary RV Roamer said:
As Ernie says, the V10 can wind up a lot of RPMs without no stress. A V10 engine is designed to be high-reving - that's the advantage of more but smaller/lighter pistons.

Very true, the stroke is short enough to allow higher RPM with minimal stress while also creating quite a bit of low end torque.

V-10 305-310hp (2 valve 2004 down)
V-10 360-370hp (3 valve 2005 up)

Design Flaw
The aluminum heads on two-valve 4.6L and 5.4L V8s and 6.8L V10s (built in the company's Windsor, Ontario plant, not to be confused with 2005 and up 3-valve heads) have a fatal flaw in the spark plug threads. Being a soft metal, aluminum doesn't have much inherent strength in the first place; it also expands at a different rate than the steel spark plugs threaded into it. Ford put the V10's spark plugs at the bottom of a five inch deep well, and only left enough room to allow for about four threads worth of spark plug engagement in the cylinder head.

ShastaLake said:

Design Flaw
The aluminum heads on two-valve 4.6L and 5.4L V8s and 6.8L V10s (built in the company's Windsor, Ontario plant, not to be confused with 2005 and up 3-valve heads) have a fatal flaw in the spark plug threads. Being a soft metal, aluminum doesn't have much inherent strength in the first place; it also expands at a different rate than the steel spark plugs threaded into it. Ford put the V10's spark plugs at the bottom of a five inch deep well, and only left enough room to allow for about four threads worth of spark plug engagement in the cylinder head.
I have a 1999 V-10 and was concerned when I heard about this problem.  From what I've been able to glean from various forums, the problem really only exists with cylinder #3 and is exacerbated by not cleaning the plug hole area and torquing properly when changing plugs.  I'm inclined to believe this description of the problem because there are actually relatively few failures and most have occurred sometime after the plugs have been changed.  My V-10 has about 65K miles on it.  I probably should change (or have changed) the spark plugs, but because of this problem and the fact it runs fine, I think I'll put it off.  Even if I have a Ford dealer change the plugs, there is no certainty that they would do it any more correctly than me and they sure aren't going to replace the heads for me if it fails afterwards.  My MPG and performance doesn't seem to be impaired so far and there is no sense in asking for trouble.

For the price of a Banks system, I can put up with a little lower power.  After all, it is a '99 and I'm near 70.  Neither one of us need to hustle.

ShastaLake said:

Design Flaw

My 97 V-10 went 295,000 miles without a problem.  First change of the plugs was at 100K.  It wasn't run that hard, but that's a lot of miles for any gas engine.

Now I feel better after reading this post. We just purchased a 2002 Sea Breeze with the V-10 and going on our first long trip (350 miles one way) and was wondering how it would preform.  Our MH is 30' and just had it weighed and I am at 15,300 loaded with the exception of a few more things we might put in board.  If this V 10 performs well with the longer and heavier rigs, then mine should fly. :)  This engine just has 7,500 miles on it.

Have no idea what to expect on gas mileage?  One piece of good advice I think I got was not to haul the holding tanks full. So will just have very little in the fresh water tank and very little in the black.

Barryn514 said:
Have no idea what to expect on gas mileage?  One piece of good advice I think I got was not to haul the holding tanks full. So will just have very little in the fresh water tank and very little in the black.

I think you'll be happy with the V-10. I don't think there was any noticable mileage difference between our Chevy and Ford...Both lousy. On the V-10 over the last 1200 miles we averaged right at 7mpg while pulling our Jeep at an average speed around 60mph. We travel with our fresh water tank usually at least half full and more often full, but black and gray tanks are normally close to empty. I don't think you'll see much difference in mileage due to empty tanks...on level ground the weight won't matter once you're rolling and mileage will be better going uphill, but then you gain a little advantage downhill with extra weight. Have fun with your new toy.

Molaker said:
I have a 1999 V-10 and was concerned when I heard about this problem.  From what I've been able to glean from various forums, the problem really only exists with cylinder #3 and is exacerbated by not cleaning the plug hole area and torquing properly when changing plugs.  I'm inclined to believe this description of the problem because there are actually relatively few failures and most have occurred sometime after the plugs have been changed.  My V-10 has about 65K miles on it.  I probably should change (or have changed) the spark plugs, but because of this problem and the fact it runs fine, I think I'll put it off.  Even if I have a Ford dealer change the plugs, there is no certainty that they would do it any more correctly than me and they sure aren't going to replace the heads for me if it fails afterwards.  My MPG and performance doesn't seem to be impaired so far and there is no sense in asking for trouble.

Mine failed on #5....saw a few others with #5 and a few with either #1 or #3. I pulled the heads and redid the valves and installed inserts for every cylinder.....wanted to stop worrying about spitting a plug.

Edit: Fix quote

cpaulsen said:
Mine failed on #5....saw a few others with #5 and a few with either #1 or #3. I pulled the heads and redid the valves and installed inserts for every cylinder.....wanted to stop worrying about spitting a plug.

Edit: Fix quote
Did yours fail with the original plugs or had they been changed?

Mine failed after the previous owner had the plugs changed. They had put in Bosch plugs instead of Motorcract and I could take them all out withouta ratchet....they were all loose!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom