ford V10 dies without warning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanuel740

we have a 05 tioga with a V10--bought new now has 9000 miles--first time the dealer in florida said they were having so many problems with the fuel pump that they had to order one from atlanta--now in colorado--as you drive alone the engine dies and you have no steering or power breaks--presents and interesting experience on high mountain passes--the dealer in colorado says he can't find anything wrong--I NEED HELP--anyone else experience this kind of problem and what was the remedy--thanks--

I'm an active participant in a couple of Rv websites and  haven't heard of any commonly ocurring fuel pump problems with Ford V10's. Nor can I find any reference to one anywhere online.  Are you working with Ford dealers or RV dealers? 

What chassis is your Tioga?  They were built on both the E350 and E450 chassis, depending on the size and weight. A intermitent fuel delivery problem can be really frustrating - could be a intermitent electrical problem causing loss of fuel pressure. Cold also be a fuel filter problem, but one hopes a dealer would replace that first just to be sure. If that hasn't been done already, do it now, no matter how clean the filter may look.

Have 2004 Flair with the V10 engine and drove from NH to Alaska with many problems with the engine. One problem did cause the engine to stall with out warning. This was the air Flow sensor. I believe that if this gets wet due to the way they installed the air cleaner intake the sensor gets damaged. We had this replaced in Montana and the enginge was ok until it rained again. While in Anchorage, Alaska we found a Service center that knew what they were doing. Only thing was that it was a Chevy Dealer. They installed a modification on the air cleaner reset the Computer and the engine has been the best on the whole trip. This mod is a new intake made out of hard plastic that brings the intake up off the ground. Fine a dealer that will help that has been our main problem.

Ford has had problems with "water ingestion" in some V10 installations.  The air intake set-up varies with the particular vehicle the engine is installed in, so it is not a V10 engine problem per se. However, the V10 does seem to be sensitive to water in the air intake and Ford has service bulletins concerning methods of dealing with the this problem.

Just for the record,  Workhorse says some of the Chevy 8.1's have that same problem.... depends entierly on the coach manafacturer's design, Some coach builders just flat put the air intake in the wrong place it seems.

That said, I've driven in rain, I've driven in shine,  I've driven in snow and I've never had a problem with water ingestion as you call it.  Guess I got lucky :)

That info comes straight from Workhorse National Service by the way.  And when the company says "Yes there is a problem with some makes and models" I tend to believe them

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom