ford v10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

four winds

I was thinking of a E350 ford van for towing a 30 ft tt with a gvw of 9000 lbs the van has a gvw of10.000lb but would only weigh 7000 lb when loaded the  van has v10 engine  gcvwr is 16000 lb  what do you think of these figures and are there any problems with the ford v10s in 2010 that I should be aware of thanks  for the  help. the van is rated to tow 9100 lbs with the 373 and 10000 with the 410 rear end

Since Ford went to the 3-valve heads in the V-10's in 2004, its become a reliable, trouble free engine from what I've read...the V-10 is a smooth running machine!

It's used in many Moho chassis' today, if there were problems you'd hear about them...

AS to gear ratio...I'd sure consider the 4.10 gears if you're going to be towing a TT...you probably won't notice much difference in fuel mileage, but the lower 4.10 gears will help if you do much mountain or hilly running...

Our Excursion V-10 has 3.73 gears, and I wish we had 4.10 or even 4.30 gears, as we do a lot of mountain running, and rarely travel over 55-60 mph...

Our 2001 model has the older 2-valve heads, but still runs smooth, with lots of power towing our 28 ft Airstream...our total TV/TT weight is about 15K, loaded for the road...

Ray

four winds said:
I was thinking of a E350 ford van for towing a 30 ft tt with a gvw of 9000 lbs the van has a gvw of10.000lb and a 18000 lb gcvwr vt 10 should  handle it ok.

Looking at Ford's 2001 vehicles, I was surprised to find only the 'E' series van still being offered with the V-10 engine...
Ray

Close, Gary...I actually meant to say '2011', but must have had one of those brain/finger connections go astray...thanks, Ray

I have a V-10 and pull a 10,000 gvw Arctic Fox.  It does fine.  I really like the 5 speed automatic and would recommend it highly with the V-10.  The 5 speed auto was a great improvement over the older 4 speed.  You can get by with it being under powered if you go for just weekends out the to lake 20 miles away.  I took my truck and trailer on a 2500 mile trip last summer to Utah and Colorado.  We are planning on exploring the other parts of Colorado this summer and will put another 3000 miles on the truck and trailer. Good Luck with the V-10 and have fun traveling.

Mexray said:
Close, Gary...I actually meant to say '2011', but must have had one of those brain/finger connections go astray...thanks, Ray
Ford has gone to a more powerful 6.2 liter gasser (v8), you can still get the 6.8 liter V10 in the vans and super duty chassis (commercial) applications. For how long is anyone's guess.

My truck is a 2005 F250 V10 4x4 with automatic, single wheel- differential gearing is 3.73.  I'm having no problems towing a 30' 5th wheel, weight of trailer and truck, loaded and on the road 17,300#.  We just got back from a 3680 mile trip, and I ran the rig 90% of the time in cruise control, and unless in the mountains, not even with tow-command engaged.  Once the computer learned the load and speed, rarely downshifted below 3rd gear.  Mileage was 9.6 for the trip.

I would find it difficult (just for me) to justify a diesel, given the cost of diesel fuel was .15 to .25 higher everywhere we went.

In short, my V-10 has been a smooth, even performer.  While I have not seen many V-10's in F series trucks, I think it's because Ford never made the big gas engine a selling point.  I sincerely hope they continue this engine.

johncmr

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom