Ford V10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jyro said:
No harm done, not reading all the posts has caught me more than once.

On another note, I think I have figured out why a clogged injector will cause pre-ignition noise on a injected motor and I have never heard of it, ( I'm a carb guy)
Clean injectors spray a fine spray that atomizes and causes a more complete burn in each cylinder, a dirty injector won't spray a fine pattern and sometimes just spray a stream of fuel, this stream of fuel won't burn completely inside a cylinder and when the leftover un burned fuel is read by the O2 sensor it shows rich. The cpu cuts the injector on time back to lean the mixture and the o2 is happy but the engine is too lean to run without timing knock, the knock sensor reduces the timing to cut back the pre-ignition this also causes a rich condition and the cpu cuts back the fuel more. This is all just a W.A. G. .

You're getting it. On a multi port motor this is dangerous because if, say you have one that is plugged up a bit, it can burn a piston on that cylinder. Some systems are very smart. On my 99 Corvette the ecm can detect a misfire on each cylinder. I'm just learning OBDll, as I've only worked on vehicles with OBDl so far, except the Vette. My 05 Silverado is getting to the age it needs some attention, I may have to upgrade my scanner as it only does emissions codes ect. It won't do brakes, or other modules on these newer vehicles. Looks like you may be a drag racer, uh? I just sold out last summer and hung it up. 

You're in for a surprise.  OBDII scanners are now wireless and very cheap.

I bought one of these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ELM327-Wi-Fi-OBD2-OBDII-WiFi-For-iPhone-Car-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-/131719285969?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item1eab14ccd1:g:N8sAAOSwFqJWnImV). And it works for everything except our diesels.

Of course the software isn't free.

A couple years ago I bought an Autel MD802, which handles just about everything there is to handle (ABS, SRS, HVAC, etc.) on most every car made in the last 20 years. You can buy them on Ebay or Amazon for $300 or less. If you have 1996+ cars, it's worth owning.

Another approach is jump on alibaba.com and buy a clone GM TECH2 for about the same price. They only work on GM vehicles, but are exactly what the dealer uses and can do everything, like recoding modules or programming keys. There are similar tools for Ford - called IDS - at about the same price from the same place. :)

~$300 isn't cheap, but around here it's two trips to a dealer to pull a code. Easily justifiable.

thesameguy said:
A couple years ago I bought an Autel MD802, which handles just about everything there is to handle (ABS, SRS, HVAC, etc.) on most every car made in the last 20 years. You can buy them on Ebay or Amazon for $300 or less. If you have 1996+ cars, it's worth owning.

Another approach is jump on alibaba.com and buy a clone GM TECH2 for about the same price. They only work on GM vehicles, but are exactly what the dealer uses and can do everything, like recoding modules or programming keys. There are similar tools for Ford - called IDS - at about the same price from the same place. :)

~$300 isn't cheap, but around here it's two trips to a dealer to pull a code. Easily justifiable.

Yea, I've been reading about the tech ll knock offs on the Corvette forum. Been waiting to see how those guys like them. So far they've had some good reviews. I may bite the bullet and buy one. The sensors I just replaced, the dealer I use wanted $180.00 each to replace. I found the sensors for $118.00 for both, and it took me about 3/4 of an hour to replace.

My experience with TechII comes from Saab owners, and the success rate with current clones is VERY high. To the point that you can jump on ebay and buy a different TECHII memory card and swap it in without issue. I have been on the verge of buying one for several months - I'm positive it will happen this year. The delay is how good the Autel MD802 is. It was very inexpensive and works on everything... I can pull transmission codes from the Suburban, run SRS diagnostics on the BMW, and monitor ABS/TCS from the Jag, no problem. It works very well.

Here's the one I'm thinking on buying. It's got a lot of good reviews from the Corvette guys.

http://www.careucar.com/wholesale/gm-tech2-gm-diagnostic-scanner-c.html

All I have is GM vehicles, don't know if there is other software for this or not.

hey guys.
this is off topic but what are you all paying for gas now down in the lower 48?

Bush

North central Florida, I just filled my Ford V10 powered ( on topic?) with regular at $1.85, and with a Winn Dixie discount, at $1.55.

1.46 regular at Murphy by Walmart. use a Walmart card and get a .03 discount $1.43, After the techron, I'm back on regular

Los Angeles gas stations continues to be unaware that the price of oil has dropped a few dollars. :mad:  Highest I saw yesterday, $3.65 for premium.  Most other stations are less.  Many selling premium for $2.85.  Mid-grade and Regular are almost always $.10 and $.20 lower respectively.  The Lowest for premium is about $2.50.  Diesel varies from less than $2.00 to almost $3.00. 

Somewhat on topic, I have a 1998 31 Flair with the 460.  I thought it was really sluggish until I installed the Banks Power Pack system and Transmission module.  The increase in power and torque made it a new motorhome.  I can now take on a hill in OD that used to downshift to 3rd every time.  Still getting 7 to 8 MPG but I did not do the upgrade for MPG but for pulling power. The parts cost about $2,000 and I did all the installation myself.  I think folks would think twice about passing on an older, well maintained rig with a 460 if they knew how strong it will run with the Banks system.  I paid $9,000 for the rig with 20K miles.  Put all new Blistens, swaybar rubber, tie rod rubber and a complete service of all fluids, hoses, belts including a tranny flush. Still has the leaf suspension so it will never ride like a DP but with the suspension upgrades it does ride like it was new. I'm into the rig for about $14K and I think it does everything a much newer and more expensive, V10 rig will do but I don't have any slide outs. Just food for thought that an older rig can be made to perform like a much newer rig for a few thousand dollars.

92GA said:
Here's the one I'm thinking on buying. It's got a lot of good reviews from the Corvette guys.

http://www.careucar.com/wholesale/gm-tech2-gm-diagnostic-scanner-c.html

All I have is GM vehicles, don't know if there is other software for this or not.

Thank you for that - I am definitely collecting options for this purchase!

Unfortunately my automotive landscape is all over the place... I think I have just about every brand that's domestic or European in the driveway right now. I just gotta figure out which of them is a priority. :)

Graydude said:
Somewhat on topic, I have a 1998 31 Flair with the 460.  I thought it was really sluggish until I installed the Banks Power Pack system and Transmission module.  The increase in power and torque made it a new motorhome.  I can now take on a hill in OD that used to downshift to 3rd every time.  Still getting 7 to 8 MPG but I did not do the upgrade for MPG but for pulling power. The parts cost about $2,000 and I did all the installation myself.  I think folks would think twice about passing on an older, well maintained rig with a 460 if they knew how strong it will run with the Banks system.  I paid $9,000 for the rig with 20K miles.  Put all new Blistens, swaybar rubber, tie rod rubber and a complete service of all fluids, hoses, belts including a tranny flush. Still has the leaf suspension so it will never ride like a DP but with the suspension upgrades it does ride like it was new. I'm into the rig for about $14K and I think it does everything a much newer and more expensive, V10 rig will do but I don't have any slide outs. Just food for thought that an older rig can be made to perform like a much newer rig for a few thousand dollars.

I like your approach!  8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom