Forest river georgetown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Artstang

Hi,
We are planning to buy or trade in our Allegro for an 06 or 07 Georgetown 359TS or 350DS, but not sure about their quality and durability. Has anyone out there can provide the good, the bad and the ugly about these models?
Thanks
Artstang
04 Allegro

Our 99 model gave us great service for 8 years, but its a low end coach, not comparable to your Allegro quality IMHO.

We have a 359TS and are pleased with it.  I would suggest that you get the XL pkg.  IMHO dollar for dollar and pound for pound the Georgetown delivers a lot of 'bang' for the buck.

We are also looking at the Georgetowns.  They look like nice units. Any other people have experience with Georgetowns that they can share? Including the good, bad and ugly...

Thanks,
Coach elle

I'd choose another Tiffin product (e.g. Allegro) for the great customer service, if for no other reason.

The Forest River Georgetown is an attractive package. It perhaps offers a bit more superficial stuff for the same price, which makes you want to ask what they left out elsewhere to compensate for the cost of the trim.

We don't hear much about Georgetowns except for inquiries like yours when folks are shopping. If any of those folks actually bought a Georgetown, we haven't heard back from them.  Forest River has been building motorhomes for only a few years now (they were exclusively a trailer manufacturer before) and so there isn't a lot of feedback yet. Their trailers are generally decent, though they make a wide range of prices and quality. The Georgetown and the diesel Berkshire seem to be targeted at the entry level market, with maximum pizazz for minimum price. That doesn't make them bad, though. I can see nothing in the specs that makes me think poorly of them, but I figure they must have saved a few dollars somewhere to offer so much.

allegroart said:
Hi,
We are planning to buy or trade in our Allegro for an 06 or 07 Georgetown 359TS or 350DS, but not sure about their quality and durability. Has anyone out there can provide the good, the bad and the ugly about these models?
Thanks
Artstang
04 Allegro

Wow why would anyone want to change from an Allegro to a Georgetown??? ??? ??? ???  Somehow I doubt you would be happy in the Georgetown after owning an Allegro based on what I have heard about both of them.  After sales support is highly rated for Tiffen and well I haven't heard any raves about Forest River like we have Tiffen.

I agree with Gary's comments.

Could someone please explain what 'Entry level' means?  We all have to start somewhere and getting the best bang for your personal buck is paramount.  IMO it's a hackneyed term which has no bearing on value or reliability.  It makes the unit appear 2nd class, when, in actual fact, many of the value-priced units have exactly the same equipment installed as ones costing thousands of $$$ more.  I do, however, acknowledge the difference between Gas rigs and DPs and their relative cost differences.

Just because a 'value-priced' RV manufacturer hasn't been around long, doesn't mean they are turning out a crappy product.    A neighbor recently traded in an older Monaco for a brand spanking new Four Winds Hurricane (probably the least expensive Class A) and couldn't be happier - he has more 'stuff' and functionality than his Monaco had  and all new equipment under warranty.  Furthermore his Monaco was getting to need some serious $$$ spent on tires, major servicing and needed replacement parts - aside from a shabby looking paintwork.  He took the $10K he was expecting to shell out and made his deposit.  His monthly payment was quite a bit less due to a less costly rig and lower interest rates. 

I doubt 'Tiffin' or other more expensive rig owners  enjoy their  unit(s)  any more or less.  They use the same campgrounds, share similar experiences and memories and use similar dump hoses!    Given the choice, I would rather have a newer 'value' unit, than an older more expensive unit with potential wear / replacement issues. Even the prospect of being rewarded with good customer service, (provided at their own service centers which may be thousands of miles away and never used or needed) is meaningless to me.  Take the 'reward' to your local CW when repairs are due and see how far it gets you.  The customer - you and I - have demanded value not necessarily longevity!  A MH's  depreciation is so great you may as well have all (and maybe more) the bells and whistles in a newer rig than go without in something older and originally more expensive.

I recently looked at an 02 Allegro and an 05 Georgetown side by side on a CW lot.  They were similar floorplans and length.  The Georgetown , had significantly fewer miles, was in much better over all condition, had very similar equipment and was over $10K (sticker price) less.  It was awfully hard to distinguish the differences in trim quality or construction between the two.  Sure, good, low mileage, more expensive 'higher-end' MH's are out there but they are definitely few and far between.  As I have posted before, most seem to have been ridden hard and put away wet. 

Most RV owners are week-end warriors not full-timers, where, perhaps, longevity and  factory service matter.  Consequently needs and requirements differ.  Few owners keep the same  rig for its functional life, trading up/down/across within a few years of purchase.  Depreciation is basically the same, however, the newer the unit the greater the re-sale market. Older doesn't always translate to better.  But...we've had this discussion before.

To the OP - Go for the Georgetown, it's a nice looking rig with some decent quality features and, IMO great value for the money.  For those naysayers, the world is not flat... take a look at the features in some of the less expensive rigs, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, I know I was. 

.02c worth...
BT   

I have never thought of entry level as lesser quality, just lower cost.  But lower cost also means some compromises, not necessarily in quality.  It's like "starter house", perhaps smaller and less expensive, but still a house.

You are right, Buddy. "Entry level" is a hackneyed, politically correct term for the low end of the price range. The problem for buyers is that the low end of the price range may be good value for the money or it may simply be something cheaply built to make a quick buck and it is often hard to tell the difference. I have no personal experience nor any user feedback to tell where the Georgetown falls on the scale. The Tiffins, on the other hand, are a well  known commodity, less flashy but well built and with outstanding post-sale customer support.

RVs are such that there is an enormous amount of visual appeal and also a large amount of hidden attributes. It is difficult to weigh the obvious eye appeal with the less visible attributes. And perhaps equally difficult to weigh their importance to any individual owner. All we can do is caution buyers to be on the lookout for the tradeoffs. There is not a lot of rocket science in building an RV and a significant portion of the components used will be the same (or equivalent) regardless of manufacturer. No manufacturer has a big edge in production efficiency or labor costs, so if one manufacturer includes a $1000 worth of features in his base price and another manufacturer does not, then it seems likely that that he left out $1000 worth of something else to make up for it. History, and the accumulated wisdom here, suggests that is typically the case. The question is whether it is $1000 worth of something the buyer will ultimately care about.

In the case of the Tiffin, the $1000 that did not go for features may in fact be held back to pay for post-sale support. If the buyer ends up needing that support, it is an extremely valuable item. But if he gets a trouble-free coach, he would have been better off getting a bigger LCD tv (or whatever) for his $1000. Who is to know in advance?

;D

We went from a '90 Fleetwood Pace Arrow to a '07 Georgetown 315DS unit. Now, I certainly wouldn't try to compare these two units as they are from different eras so to speak, but the bottom line to me was getting a nicer motorhome with less issues at a price we could handle. Sure, we looked at other, higher priced units but if you don't have the bucks, then you don't have Buck Rogers either. So while we wish our unit had this or that to make it a bit nicer and we see some items that could be done a lot better as far as assembly, so far there hasn't been anything that we could not handle. Upgrades to ours so far involve adding a direct tv dome, a second a/c unit over the bedroom, oak wood trim on the vertical edges of the cabinets and some minor items for storage purposes. I would like to find a better water pump as the stocker doesn't have enough pressure. I would like to find something to control the basement doors. They swing from the side, but if you are parked on even at a slight incline you end up fighting them to keep them open. We use our unit primarily for attending races and while it's always nice to have something better - the Georgetown does a good job for us right now. The ride is decent especially pulling the trailer which is something that it handles very well. And I feel very comfortable driving it either on the highway or in tight situations.

I think comparing a Georgetown to an Allegro is like comparing a Focus to a Ferrari.  One holds its value better.  One has a higher level of fit and finish. One has a highly rated customer service manufacturer standing behind it.  And it isn't Forest River.....

Mighty...Comparing manufacturers, your comparison (Focus Vs Ferrari)  is aknowledged but discounted.  In this instance the comparison is between a (presumably older) Allegro and newer Georgetown - possibly five or more years the better.  Just for the 'stuff' value, IMO the Georgetown wins hands down.  OTH the Allegro could have been extremely well looked after with low mileage, regular services and all that.  The Georgetown's maintenance and upkeep, quite the reverse.  Nevertheless, the Georgetown - in this instance is a newer coach and potentially has greater longevity with, to some extent, higher resale value.  For my purposes and use, if paying $50K or more for any used gas unit, I definitely would not be looking at something over 7 years old.  If it were, it probably would not have the features, design, decor, trim, styling or equipment that a newer unit would likely have.  As for  Allegro 'standing behind their product' that may well be a valuable asset, but not yet tested with Forest River with this particular rig.  'Reputation' is only good if you are a specific beneficiary of it.  Never having owned a Lexus, nor likely to own one, do I really care that they are considered one of the best vehicles on the road? 

I have owned one of the worst rated (when new) SUVs for the past 10 years.  It has given me nothing but superb, troublefree driving and I would be hard pushed to trade it for anything better - other than driving a new(er) vehicle.  The manufacturer service leaves a lot to be desired (I have heard) but I, personally haven't needed it, except for a couple of minor warranty issues which were properly taken care of. 

As for holding value...this may be true if comparing like-costing vehicles, however,  a new Allegro probably costs $50K more than a similarly equipped Georgetown.  Holding value is only relative on a level playing field.  Over time both units will depreciate by approximately the same percentage, thereby making the $$$ loss on the Allegro greater.

BT

I had the Tiffin Allegro on my short list when I started evaluating motorhomes.  I had read all of the hype on these forums about Tiffin products and the service.  I personally didn't see what all the hype was about.  If service is one of the main reasons to purchase, then I don't want the vehicle.  The vehicles are supposed to be made to use, not to sit in a repair que.

I dropped both Newmar and Tiffin from my short list and ended up with Winnebago and Monaco products.  As for Forest River, as the others have said, no longevity in motorhome production.  A lot of folks swear by their 5th wheelers.  That being said, I would be somewhat skeptical in purchasing a Forest River product due to the issues that arose regarding the high formaldehyde levels in the trailers they supplied to FEMA post Katrina.  For me, that is Buyer Beware.

As with anything else in life, "it's different strokes for different folks".  Only you can make the final decision.

If service is one of the main reasons to purchase, then I don't want the vehicle.

It's a sad fact that RVs of all makes and models are highly likely to need  some major  service in their lifetime and the risk of needing expert assistance from the factory is fairly high on any new RV. I think that buying from a manufacturer that is known to stand behind their products 100% is a smart buy decision and Tiffin is one of the very best.  American Coach is the other top factory service & support manufacturer and Monaco is right up there too.  Few RV dealers are competent to provide good service on any but the most common RV problems, so the availability of direct factory customer support and service is a plus.

Maybe nothing will ever go wrong with your new RV, but I personally like the assurance that should a Tiffin product have some issue, I could call the factory (or even Bob Tiffin personally) and get advice and help. Consider it an insurance policy of sorts.  Of course, you shouldn't have to buy insurance either, but...

Big mistake taking Tiffin and Newmar off the short list IMHO.  I agree with Gary on the availablity of GOOD factory service should it be needed.

For what it's worth we had a 2000 Georgetown as our first MH. Hopefully they have improved quality because this one was NOT built to last at all.  It looked beautiful was very comfortable and a good value but the problems we had were not worth the attractive price. We bought used but had absolutely no customer support, they woulden't even answere an e-mail question. In the future I would purchase almost any other brand used rather than buy one of these new. Am partial to Monaco and Tiffin because of the customer support and quality, customer support is crucial because you will have problems along the line no matter what you get.  Have heard of many happy Georgetown owners but also lots with leak problems, the worst.

Thanks for your perspective, Buddy. You made alot of really good points.  I'm not a "stuff" person, so I doubt nuanced "bling" in a lesser brand would turn my head - but as I tend to keep things awhile, I like quality.  And you're right....almost anything on wheels depreciates.  But as a friend who is a dealer told me, "the sign doesn't read "Dean Witter".....the dividend is your experience."

Safe travels!

We looked at every make and model of both new and used and decided on a 2009 Georgetown 37' Bunk house model .

The quality seemed better than most of the other entry level MH 's and I figure the $89k we spent will be worth around $55-60 k when the rig is 5 years old so
the depreciation and interest expense are much lower than the more expensive rigs . 

The quality seems good . Of course it isn't going to compare to my BMW but its as good as our Chevrolet.  The model has 4 slides and they seem to work faster and smoother than other rigs that cost $25,000 more .  The design of the cabinets and the windows seemed better also .

Back
Top Bottom