Found Answer(s)! Nylon Plug in Water Heater Blown Out - Remove Balance of Plug?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ernie n Tara

HI,
Just thought I check for magic solutions before I head for Lowes to see what tools I can find to remove the remains of a nylon plug that blew out of my water heater yesterday.
The threads remain fully engaged; only the cap blew off, probably due to over torquing the plug.
Ideas or special tools to look for?? Giant easy out or?
Tx,
Ernie

PLEASE IGNORE THIS - DID WHAT I SHOULD HAVE AND SEARCHED FOR ANSWER - FOUND IT!

Haven't had to try it yet, but after it happened once to me, I went searching for a solution... Heat the remaining threads with a lighter and remove with needle nose pliers. You'll save yourself from damaging the threads.

I've used a flat file that fits inside the hole and carefully backed out plugs like that before..good luck.

If the shell of the plug is intact, the flat file or very large EZ Out might work to back it out. If not, I'd just pick the pieces out with needle nose pliers and run a pick around the threads to clean out the little pieces.  A Mechanics Pick Set is a useful tool for that.  A bit of heat (hair dryer works) helps soften the nylon for easier removal.

Gary RV Roamer said:
If the shell of the plug is intact, the flat file or very large EZ Out might work to back it out. If not, I'd just pick the pieces out with needle nose pliers and run a pick around the threads to clean out the little pieces.  A Mechanics Pick Set is a useful tool for that.  A bit of heat (hair dryer works) helps soften the nylon for easier removal.

A pipe thread chaser works well too. it would be wise to flush out the opening w/water after.

Last time I had a broken plastic plug in a fitting I heated a philips screwdriver with a torch, melted it into the plug, let cool, and simply twisted it out. Good luck!

One forum member reported drilling a hole in the plug and using an extractor like this.

Tom said:
One forum member reported drilling a hole in the plug and using an extractor like this.

That's a lot nicer and probably works way better than a flat file and crescent wrench I used to use...

Hi,
FYI - I used a small pick (pointed screw driver) to cut the nylon threads (drove it through with a small hammer) and then pick up one end of the nylon. Twisted that out with needle nose pliers. Took longer to get the tools out than to actually remove it. Chased threads with a PVC plug (CPVC not available) and then installed a brass plug.
Didn't even burn out the electric heater.
Ernie

Sometimes simple tools do the job just fine. I used pretty much the same technique several years ago when I had a nylon plug break in the Southwind we had at the time.

First one I came across 15+ years ago, I grabbed a half round file from tool box. It has a slight taper the whole length and small enough at end opposite handle to tap it in a few inches until I feel it, and hear it come up against threads on tank. Then I use an adjustable wrench and snug it on the file, and slowly twist it out. Sharp edges of file push against nylon plug threads and it spins right out every time. We have a few guys winterizing 350+ trailers every season, and I usually get the call from them to fish it out for them. I guess buying their own file is too much trouble.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom