Framily Veterans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wade Walden
OS2 USN 1988-1992
USS Dwight D.Eisenhower CVN-69
Norfolk Virginia

I am in clover sc and so far we frequent Lake Wylie and Ocean Lakes campground in myrtle beach sc.  Hope to meet some of you.  Thank you all for your service?  Even you Marines!  :)

USAF, 76 - 80, Tyndall AFB, 4756 Avionics Maintenance Squadron.  Air Defense Command.  Avionics Communication/Navigation.  Scared the hell out of me.  In 1976 our defense of ICBMs was 1955 built F-106s with a weapons target system I worked on, and a mission to fly to the target and destroy.  Failing that, collide with it!

Ronald Reagan changed all that, being an excellent poker player.

God bless all of you, thanks for your dedication and oath to our Constitution.

IC1/SS, '80-'86. Nathan Hale-SSBN 623, Lafayette-SSBN 616. I'm surprised I don't see more bubbleheads on here, I only counted four others. Being in an RV is like second nature to us, just a bit more comfortable. 8)

catblaster said:
about the 1st ID, do they still say "If ya gotta be one, be a BIG RED ONE" ?

Yep.  They still call it the Big Red One.  My son is stationed at Fort Riley, KS as I type.  Coming home on the 10th for leave.  Has to report back on the 21st before being deployed to Africa for nine months.

I can't wait. 

kdbgoat:

On a trip to the Med we pulled Quillback SS-424 into Rota for fuel and my older brother was standing on the pier. He was on SSBN Pulaski and I toured it with him. When we finished I asked if he wanted to tour Quillback. His answer was "are you kidding me!"

I held back for some reason, (knew I was steeling thunder) after I recently was made aware of this message.
www.google.com/search?q=Doolittle+raiders&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&imgil=BbSkcZ6V7yvReM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcSekhiaylAMcmGh7ijMX-gVlsUExzDOY3q6v58bS2jj34t1p-3P%253B2785%253B2018%253Bf88V-RV70OCurM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fen.wikipedia.org%25252Fwiki%25252FDoolittle_Raid&source=iu&usg=__81M9lfF3OMdoW2OOHsu90fV6q8M%3D&sa=X&ei=FBNmU_6zMrjMsQTfxICYDw&ved=0CEoQ9QEwBQ

Over the years, I have seen the articles and stories about these men and the sacrifices they made so we could have what we have today.
I have allowed my chest to swell every time I see the PATCH some members have on their Flying suits, the one showing a black and white color arrangement with red in there somewhere?.
It was a drawing of a BIRD, a ?Indian symbol? representing a bird seen in the history of the American Indians.
It was a patch worn by members of the 34TH Bomb Squadron stationed at Field No. 9, Eglin AFB in 1956, 57 and 58. I was authorized to wear that patch as a smart alecky young Airman. One of my regrets in life is I lost my patch somewhere. Just ordered another on EBAY.

General Dolittle and his men had a reunion, it may have  been the first Reunions at the Field 9 location in this time frame. I do remember them being in some form of celebration at the Officer?s club on Santa Rosa Island.
Anyhoo?., I?m proud to say I was that close to some great men.

And oh yea, another regret was:
just before the outfit went to England in 1958, I missed a chance to be a Gunner on the B66 as they scrambled to get unit up to strength, recruiting from the Gunnery System maintenance crews. I was the 11th volunteer, they needed 10, and if any flunked Flight status Physical, I would be next. They all passed. 

Anyone ever had any experience being stationed in Djibouti, Africa?  Son is coming home this weekend from Ft. Riley, KS before being deployed there for 9 months.

Just wondered what to expect?

denmarc said:
Anyone ever had any experience being stationed in Djibouti, Africa?  Son is coming home this weekend from Ft. Riley, KS before being deployed there for 9 months.

Never been there and know nothing about it except what I read.  Here's a Wikipedia link with a lot of info.  Looks like hot and dry and mostly Muslim.

denmarc said:

I was in Mombasa, Africa for a short time during my hitch in the USN, but that was back in the 70s. I got Shellback status crossing the equator on that cruise. It is the only place I know of where the ice is lukewarm. It is hot, humid, and not real American friendly. I hope all the best for your son...

Stationed there for 16mos, 88'-90'.  They have had their ups n' downs over the years.  What an experience.  Anyone spending time in Djibouti really learns to appreciate what we have here in America.  Semper Fi

Just found  the thread.  USAF 1985-1991.  Lackland to Lowry to Hickam to Wheeler, then RIF'd in 1988 (thanks for nothin', Congress) and spent the last 3 years on Inactive Reserve.

22nd TASS, attached to the Army's 25th ID at Schofield.

Daughter of a WWII Marine, sister of an Army vet, niece of a Vietnam AF vet, a WWII Navy vet, and another who spent WWII at the USNA, class of '46.  Descendant of veterans going all the way back to the American Revolution, including on both sides of the War Between the States, and a Revolutionary War POW kept on a British prison barge off the coast of Savannah, GA.

Thanks to everyone who served and to those who love 'em.

catblaster said:
Mark...Tell your son Thank You for me....from another big red ONE formerly barracked on Custer Hill at Ft. Riley

You can bet your bottom dollar I will.  Just checked with the DW who is now there waiting for him to sign out tomorrow and bring his stuff back for storage.  She didn't know if he is on Custer Hill and the boy is working so she couldn't ask.

To answer all the other replies:
Thanks.  I also did a little research about that tiny little country.  Hot and humid to say the least.  Luckily, my boy handles the heat and humidity a lot better than I do.  He loves to play basketball in the stuff. 
A couple of the neighboring countries don't sound too American friendly either.  I worry a little.  But, that's what he signed up for.  Pride of country and adventure.  We stand behind him.

As far as being appreciative of what we have being Americans...
Do you really think that the thought will make him clean his room while home?  ;) ;D

Seriously, well said.  Thank you to all who have served.  We all need to recognize and remember the price paid by all members of our military services.  As well as those who paid the ultimate price so we may have the freedoms we cherish today.
We also need to keep in mind those who are still paying the bill. 
Since my son joined the Army, I will never forget again.         

Hey catblaster..
My boy got home from Ft. Riley early yesterday morning.  He is also a Custer Hill resident!  I'll bet the two of you guys could tell some stories.  Some old, some new.  Interesting concept!

I told him what you said.  He gave me the thumbs up and a very proud looking nod.

DonTom said:

Well done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom