Framily Veterans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I received a letter this morning from one Myron B Roker, a 91 year old living in Glenwood, IA.  I came into contact with him thru Jim Dick, its a long story!  In his letter, Mr Roker talked about the 15 days he spent bivouacked just south of the port of Cherbourg in 1944 (I live half an hour from there), and how he will never forget the ride in the 40 x 8 box car to Nancy in France where he spent 204 days in Combat 144 without a break (which at that time was the longest any outfit had been in continuous action).  He wrote about receiving a German souvenir, a bullet in his right leg, and how he didn't have to be evacuated but instead was awarded the Purple Heart!  He was wounded a second time, shrapnel in his right shoulder.  He jokingly mentioned the only action he sees these days is mowing the lawn, which he was going to do the next morning.

Long live people like Myron.

Terry Nathan, RV Forum member living in Normandy, France

Nothing important here, just another job, 29 yrs, 11 mnths, and 3 days, retired US Army.  last unit 2nd Bn, 4th Bde, 10th Mntn Div. Fort Polk, La. A couple trips across the pond. 

Anyone who has served, no matter how long or short, no matter where you have been or not been, has my utmost respect.

Thanks for your service!

Eldon and Bert (Roberta)

Hello Fellow Veterans,
Glad to see fellow forum members and fellow shipmate Wizard46 from the USS Albany CG-10.
US Navy - 71-97 (USS Albany CG-10, USS Steinaker DD-863, NAS Jax, NAS Cecil, NS Mayport, CBU-410)

Thanks for your service as well :).

Ok 1 more who just found this thread:  USN Radioman 2nd Class, '66 - '71, USS Shangri La (2 full and a partial Med Cruise), AWFR (Atlantic Fleet Weapons Range) PR, NavComSta Ft. Allen, PR. Thank you to all vets, and especially to those who saw action other than sitting on their backsides safe like me. My most dangerous mission was navigating back to Fleet Landing while wasted before a Cinderella Liberty violation put me in the brig.

You Marines, Army, Seals, PJ's, Pilots, and other groups who "get the job done regardless of the risk" are my heroes. And second to none are the spouses that hold down the fort, raise the kids and feed the dog. Thank you for your sacrifice.  And lastly, thanks to the US Navy for making something out of a 'rebel without a clue' when I went joined to avoid the draft.  The great life in high tech I've enjoyed is all due to you and your training.

Steve

Another US Army Veteran here.  Combat Engineer 6 years, 11 months, and 29 days (but whose counting?)  Then to college on the GI Bill, then to the Police Academy. Retired after 27 years on the job.  Now I fish.... not just once in awhile, but a lot.  Love Retirement!!

My wife Marie  retired Air Force, 76-96, last stationed Misawa Japan.

As for me, DOD Civ, sometimes in a uniform, standing watch going on 38 years. Will probably punch in a year or two.

For those of you retired...I am jealous!

20 years active duty with the Army. Retired in 1995. Assignments included 8th Infantry Division, Ft. Benning, 101st Airborne, 160th SOAR.

Retired 2013 from the US Navy. 

USS Underwood (FFG-36) - Mayport, FL
SIMA Norfolk - Norfolk, VA
USS Shoup (DDG-86) - Everett, WA
NCTAMS PAC - Wahiawa, HI
USS Nassau (LHA-4) - Norfolk, VA
USS Whidbey Island (LSD-41) - Little Creek, VA
NIOC Norfolk - Little Creek, VA

Retired to Rock Springs, WY and went right into being an Electronics Technician with Halliburton Energy Services.

Met my wife on the USS Shoup 12 years ago.

US Navy.
A7 pilot. Two cruises on USS Kitty Hawk. 310 carrier landings.
Pacific Fleet Adversaries. NAS Lemoore CA.
US Naval reserves Alameda CA.

tomvirginia said:
US Navy.
A7 pilot. Two cruises on USS Kitty Hawk. 310 carrier landings.
Pacific Fleet Adversaries. NAS Lemoore CA.
US Naval reserves Alameda CA.

A7 - Cool jet!  I fondly remember a day I was standing near the flight line in Subic (85') was there on Westpac off the Tarawa, Daluth, Tuscaloosa (time on all) while in the Corps.  Watched a jock taxi'ing with canopy up, arm hanging out wheeling into position.  Thanks for your service friend!

Molaker said:
USN '60-'77...USNR '77-'85 AQCS (E-8) Aviation Fire Control (now Aviation Electronics Tech - ATCS) - VAH-8 A-3D Sky Warrior (USS Midway CVA-41), VA-75 A-6A Intruder (USS Kittyhawk CVA-63), VF-41 F-4B Phantom (USS Franklin D. Roosevelt CVA-42) - and a few places in between.
USN 72/76  I went to A school with a guy that was on the Shitty Kitty, However first in class Lakehurst N.J. ABE3( aviation boatswain mate)Port cat safe PO USS F.D.R 72/76 Last cruise for Black Ace's with F 4 Phantom's74/75  Last guy from under da plane then . If my thumb was up Cat officer sent them off. Loved the ROSEY...

William52 said:
USN 72/76  I went to A school with a guy that was on the Shitty Kitty, However first in class Lakehurst N.J. ABE3( aviation boatswain mate)Port cat safe PO USS F.D.R 72/76 Last cruise for Black Ace's with F 4 Phantom's74/75  Last guy from under da plane then . If my thumb was up Cat officer sent them off. Loved the ROSEY...
We were shipmates!  I made the '73-'74 cruise as an AQ1 and again in '75 as AQC.  Remember the forward hangar bay door getting knocked in and killing a CPO on our return trip in '74?  Lot's of green water over the deck on that one.

Molaker said:
We were shipmates!  I made the '73-'74 cruise as an AQ1 and again in '75 as AQC.  Remember the forward hangar bay door getting knocked in and killing a CPO on our return trip in '74?  Lot's of green water over the deck on that one.
That was bad thing abt. CPO he was abt. to retire? I was in Mayport TAD waiting for ship , fresh out of A school. ABEAN So you went with Black Aces and I went to Philly, for repair. But was on the next cruise. V2 Cats started in waterbrakes, then Port cat hookup man F4's,nose toe A7 etc. then port cat Safety PO AB3 We shared the deck no doubt, I was in front of the JBD's LOL

USN airdale Chief, entered service 1961, retired 1981, made 3 cruises on CVA 43 1964-1969, willie victor flight engineer, EA6B flight deck crew chief, CVA 61& CVA62. DOD civilian 1995-2007.

Tom/Barb said:
USN airdale Chief, entered service 1961, retired 1981, made 3 cruises on CVA 43 1964-1969, willie victor flight engineer, EA6B flight deck crew chief, CVA 61& CVA62. DOD civilian 1995-2007.
Thank you for your service, yet another that is in my hero bin.  Everyone before I is my hero, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom