Francis Scott Key bridge, Baltimore, MD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absolutely devastating. Last I read, the search for people in the water is still under way.

The port of Baltimore shall be closed for awhile.

Here in Maryland, that's the only thing on TV since 4am this morning.

So scary. There were construction workers on the bridge. That is who they are still looking for.

This is tragic. I also heard that there were construction workers on the bridge as well as the people that were driving across that they are searching for.

As you can imagine, speculation has been running rampant about everything.

Our governor declared a State of Emergency.

Right now they don't think there were cars driving through on the bridge. They think the traffic entering the bridge was stopped in time.

I don't know how accurate that is.

You can see some trucks and other vehicles before the ship got close, but it looks like traffic was halted shortly before the collision.

As you can imagine, speculation has been running rampant about everything.

Our governor declared a State of Emergency.

Right now they don't think there were cars driving through on the bridge. They think the traffic entering the bridge was stopped in time.

I don't know how accurate that is.
There might not have been. I assumed even at that time there might be someone crossing it when it happened.

Never have seen such a documented tragedy.
“Dec. 15, 1967 — One of the darkest days on record for longtime residents of Point Pleasant and Gallipolis, Ohio. It was just 10 days before Christmas when the Silver Bridge, which connected the two cities, collapsed, killing 46.”

We went to see the Mothman museum in Point Pleasant, it is a very interesting stop:

There’s also a great movie about Mothman that features Richard Gere : The Mothman Prophecies (2002) ⭐ 6.4 | Drama, Horror, Mystery

One of the few movies that actually scared me.

As an engineer, the silver point bridge was interesting as was how quickly that bridge collapsed in Baltimore. Tragic.

As a former Coastguardsman I bet it is safe to say that they are quite busy right now.

USCG '77-'83, USCGC Point Evans out of MSO LA/LB Harbors. Semper Paratus

my guess would be that the rescue mission switched to a recovery mission hours ago.
They are not saying that out loud.

You need an EZ pass to cross the bridge. It had a FAIR rating the last time it was evaluated in 2022. Paying a fee to cross for FAIR upkeep is not going over very well today.

We haven't heard who is getting sued yet.

I am not sure what is taking so long.

“Dec. 15, 1967 — One of the darkest days on record for longtime residents of Point Pleasant and Gallipolis, Ohio. It was just 10 days before Christmas when the Silver Bridge, which connected the two cities, collapsed, killing 46.”

We went to see the Mothman museum in Point Pleasant, it is a very interesting stop:

There’s also a great movie about Mothman that features Richard Gere : The Mothman Prophecies (2002) ⭐ 6.4 | Drama, Horror, Mystery

One of the few movies that actually scared me.

As an engineer, the silver point bridge was interesting as was how quickly that bridge collapsed in Baltimore. Tragic.
I remember the Silver Bridge collapse all too well. A friend of my older sister's was killed in that collapse.

With a 48 deg.F water temp, my guess would be that the rescue mission switched to a recovery mission hours ago.

My wife is a fan of The Today Show - it's on every morning as we get ready for work. Personally, I hate it. I was watching this story, though, and sure enough one of the hosts had to ask "How long can someone survive in water this cold?". It's a sad event and even though those that went into the water have little to no chance, there was no need to ask gruesome questions when people are grieving.

Meantime anyway, the most ridiculous questions from the press were what nationality was the crew and why didn’t they drop the anchor? For one, those ships are ordinarily crewed by people from many different countries and that’s irrelevant anyway, the engineers are total professionals and the crew wasn’t in charge of navigation, the harbor pilots were. For two, there was no way there was time to get someone in place to drop the anchor in the interim between the first power outage and the collision and even doubtful that had it been possible it would have made any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom