Frank and Ernest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is this? Why i always fail on connecting to those links :'( Anyone can give me some suggestion to fix this? :'(

This is a classic example of why humo(u)r does not readily transcend countries and cultures. One (my) explanation ...

A 'trailer' is a short preview of a movie that is shown to encourage people to watch the full movie.

A 'trailer' is one type of RV.

A 'trailer' can also be the name of a movie about a trailer.

The guy in the first frame is a private investigator taking video of a trailer. The guy in the last frame says he saw the trailer trailer trailer. So, he saw the trailer of the video named trailer showing a trailer.

Tom.

Great explanation...

BTW, why can I not post pictures ?

Thanx

Tom said:
This is a classic example of why humo(u)r does not readily transcend countries and cultures. One (my) explanation ...

The guy in the first frame is a private investigator taking video of a trailer. The guy in the last frame says he saw the trailer trailer trailer. So, he saw the trailer of the video named trailer showing a trailer.
I got that point, but still don't feel funny. In this kind of humor we call it "cold-humor" ~ Then, we will "wa-hahahahahaha" though we dont feel that is funny  ???

Eric, I was born and raised in the UK, so my original sense of humour was quite different from the U.S. My saving grace was working for a U.S.-based company in the UK for 10 years before we came here. I used to have very interesting daily phone conversations with my U.S. colleagues  ;D

You have some culture shock and adjustments to come when you immigrate to the U.S.  ;)

...why can I not post pictures ?

Depends on how you're trying to post them. Inline/embedded images are disabled here, thanks to prior abuse.

You can attach images to forum messages. Here's how.

Tom said:
Eric, I was born and raised in the UK, so my original sense of humour was quite different from the U.S. My saving grace was working for a U.S.-based company in the UK for 10 years before we came here. I used to have very interesting daily phone conversations with my U.S. colleagues  ;D

You have some culture shock and adjustments to come when you immigrate to the U.S.  ;)
I can tell a little bit from your words that you have a story in the UK cause your expression or typing way are normative like European.

Aye Eric, and the HK school system is very much the same.

Tom missed a trailer

A Trailer (RV)
A Trailer (Person who, in this case, trails (Tracks down) Stolen trailers)
Trailer (Short clip advertising a movie)

That was why I posted it,,

By the way we need some Trailer, Trailers (First two) since we are seeing more stolen RV's than I recall from years past.. I do not know if this is due to an increase in theft, or an increase in internet use bringing the thefts to our attention.

Thanks Tom,

BTW, Canadian humour is also close but slightly different... we also add "u"s in a lot of words and call some things by different names. But all in all, we can get each other.

I thought the clip was quite funny..  :)

Ian.

Aye Ian, we can. But Eric is a Hong Kong national waiting to come to the US, so the humour is a little tougher for him to get.

BTW my wife has folks in fits over Britlish words she used to have to explain/translate when we first came to the US. The one she doesn't tell is my pre-warning "honey, don't ask to borrow someone's rubber". She carried a "rubber" aka eraser in her purse for years, just in case  ;D

Tom I just spit coffee on the keyboard. Now that is funny. ;D A workmate had visited Australia and a woman she met asked to borrow a lipstick. She replied just a minute while I root in my purse. Her companion was horrified, the word has an entirely different connotation in Oz.

Hope the keyboard is OK  ;D  Chris was dumbfounded when a colleague commented "you never wear pants to work". At that time, "pants" in the UK meant underpants  :eek: while in the US it meant "trousers".

I have always figured that British (to include Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, etc.) difference in what is funny is based on the spelling of certain words. To wit: British Humour; American Humor. You will note that it takes more letters in the British version of English to write out the thought. Therefore, British funnies take longer to understand and explain.

Back
Top Bottom