Free camping Escanaba MI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitto

I have spent the last couple of weeks out on the Garden Peninsula just outside of Gladstone and Escanaba Michigan area. I am wondering if there are any free sites nearby? I am hoping to close soon on a new cabin but I am starting to run low on funds and month. It would be nice if I actually knew someone around the area but unfortunately I do not. Shoot, still trying exactly how to figure out going back below the Mack to pick up my car, lol. I see that the bus nearest my cabin runs between 1/2am, ugh but at least it is a cheap one way ticket.

Might try boondockers welcome and see if someone might hook you up for cheap for more than a night. That's not what boondockers is about but it's an avenue you might explore.

Dispersed camping is allowed on Hiawatha National Forest lands except developed recreation and administrative sites, campgrounds and designated campsites. The following restrictions apply:

• Your stay is limited to 16 days. After this period, your camping equipment and all persons must move to another site at least one mile away, for an additional stay, not to exceed 16 days.
  • Do not block any roads or restrict access to National Forest lands by others.
  • Follow “Leave No Trace” principles (See The 7 Principles - Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics) so that public lands will remain clean and attractive for others to enjoy.
  • Camping in areas posted closed is prohibited.
  • Camping within fifty (50) feet of a body of water is prohibited, unless otherwise posted. (Exceptions include Grand Island National Recreation Area (100 feet from water, cliff edge, private property, trails, other campsites, special use recreation residences or recreation developments) and Big Island Lake Wilderness (200 feet from water). Do not camp at boat launches.
  • Permits are required for these sites: Bass Lake, Bear Lake, Camp Cook, Carr Lake, Chicago Lake, Cookson Lake, Council Lake, Crooked Lake, East Lake, Ewing Point, Gooseneck Lake, lronjaw Lake, Jackpine Lake, Lake Nineteen, Leg Lake, Lyman Lake, McKeever Cabin, Minerva Lake, Mowe Lake, Steuben Lake, Swan Lake, Toms Cabin, and Triangle Lake.
  • On lakes with designated campsites, you may not set up your campsite within 400 feet of the shoreline anywhere on the lake.
  • For additional information about national forest camping, see Agency and Forest Supervisor's orders.
Would something like this work?

I'm poking around on google maps.

Dispersed camping means free, right?

Thank you all, I was not privy to the first two sites mentioned.
Ziplock, I forgot about dispersed camping.

I forgot about dispersed camping.
Is that area close to where you are?

Let us know that you found a place to wait till your cabin is ready.

I guess you can't just park at your cabin till you settle?

Hey all, thank you for the input on free camping. I decided to loan myself some money and stay another week at the State Park. I should be closing sometime next week on my cabin, finally.
I did however drive into town to do my laundry yesterday, picked up my mail, as it had caught up to me and got a few more groceries.
I also took care of a couple of maintenance issues yesterday, insulating. I am glad I did, we had a terrible wind last night and it got cold and was raining. It is sunny but mid-thirties today.
Again thank you all.

Sounds like you are taking care of business. Hope you get to settle next week before it starts getting too cold up there.

I know this isn’t free, but we stayed in the state park in Escanaba Mi when on a motorcycle trip to Sturgis in 2009.
We found the 2 MI state parks we tent camped at to be real clean with good showers etc. A late evening sitting on a bench across from our site wit a view over the lake was quite romantic.

I know this isn’t free, but we stayed in the state park in Escanaba Mi when on a motorcycle trip to Sturgis in 2009.
We found the 2 MI state parks we tent camped at to be real clean with good showers etc. A late evening sitting on a bench across from our site wit a view over the lake was quite romantic.
Eh, I actually have been almost three weeks now on The Garden peninsula on Big Bay de Noc. I did stay a couple of days over at Portage Bay which is rustic but have spent most of the time at Fayette State Historical Park.
Having grown up on Lake Michigan, I have witnessed many magnificent sunsets. It is more a treat to me to see a beautiful sunrise.
Tomorrow morning they are shutting down the water, glad I showered today. However it was and has been great being able to have a hot shower when needed.

I didn't see it mentioned but I have stayed at Walmart in Escanaba many times. Some savings could be realized by staying several days a week however I would not do them back to back. There are always trucks and campers there so it is a little dirty but we always felt safe.

Back
Top Bottom