Fresh water system on 2003 Itasca Sunrise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahobgood

Experienced RV'rs will be able to tell from these questions that I am a newbie, having owned this coach 2 months with only 2 trips under my belt.

Today, armed with the Operator Manual and a few trips to the driveway, I decided to try and figure out the fresh water system.  Having some trouble.

1. The LP hot water heater is described in good detail.  But there is a hot water switch located beside the House 12V Breaker panel that isn't mentioned in the manual.  And it works; this weekend while plugged in to shore power I flipped it on and had hot water all weekend (LP off). So, am I to assume that this is how to heat water unless I am boondocking?

2. The large fresh water tank is described in detail but not much about the hot water tank which I cannot find on the RV. It is described as a 6 gal tank and it is, obviously, filled and kept filled somehow when connected to City Water. 
      a. When not connected to City Water is it plumbed so that when there is water in the fresh water tank it will remain filled?
      b. The draining procedure for the fresh water tank is described in detail.  Does this procedure also drain the hot water tank?

3. When disinfecting the fresh water system it says to poor the chlorine solution in to the tank.  There is a "gravity fill" pipe on the outside of the coach.  Is there where the chlorine solution is poured?

Thank you for your help.

Allan

1: Yes BUT never flip that switch unless the heater tank has filled, just like at home!!

To find your hot water tank, go outside and walk around the vehicle. It is usually covered with a metal door about 20" x 20" at least, which has a grill in it in most cases. The  plastic tab sticking out can be twisted to remove the door.

2a: yes
2b: no. The tank, when you find it, will have a drain plug at the bottom. Depending on the make of tank it will be a 1 1/16"  bolt-like plug (Suburban brand) or a plastic plug (Atwood brand)

When you do find the tank, examine the plumbing coming to/from it. You will likely find 1 - 3 valves in the plumbing used to bypass the tank for winterizing purposes. When you find them, if they are not understood, ASK!!!

3: It can be done that way.

HTH

Your Sunrise has three ways to heat water:  LP, electric, and coach engine cooling system.  The LP is turned off & on at the panel above the front thermostat beside the shower.  You found the electric heater control beside the 12 volt circuit breakers.  The engine cooling system heats water anytime the engine is running, therefor you will have hot water while driving down the road or when you stop for the evening. 

When you are connected to city water and have turned the knob (at dump valve station) to city water the water flows through the hot water heater too.  When running the pump and taking water from the fresh water tank water will flow through the hot water tank.  There is an exception to this.......... next to the water heater are water heater bypass valves for winterized storage. 

The water heater is located behind the storage door to the right of the entrance door.  There is a large black cover ( aprox 14" X 24") hiding it.  At the bottom of the tank is a water plug you can unscrew to drain the hot water tank.  The fresh water drain does not drain the water heater. 

Yes, the gravity fill is a good place to put in the chlorine.  However this does not sanatise the plumbing from the city water fill to the rest of the system.  I have never worried about this.  Use your own good  judgment.

Good advice given!  Only one more thing to add - every year I recommend you remove the hot water drain plug and use a flush wand to clean/flush the minerals that will precipitate out of the water and settle in the bottom of the tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom