Frieghtliner 2005 XC chassis not starting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CZman

Accidently crossed pos and neg post on chasis batteries when changing. My screen is telling me the transmission is in gear now. All I get is a cliq when turn ignition key. How can I get back in neutral to be able to start Motorhome.

I've disconnected the chassis batteries and left overnight. Reconnected and no difference. Screen still says trans not in park. Just a cliq when I try to start

One thing I did notice is I dont see power to my trans cluster. Have dash lights and power

As you probably know, if the transmission isn't powered the ignition cannot verify it is in neutral and won't engage the starter.
One of the things I'd check is the transmission control unit (TCU) and associated relays. Usually located in a rear by on the passenger side. A loose wire there can cause loss of power or communication and nothing works. Happened to me once and drove me nuts for a couple days until a helper happened to wiggle the right wire.

Hi Gary thank you for your help. As you know I crossed the battery cables when changing chassis batteries a couple of weeks back. This is when trouble started The information screen on the dash reads Park set in gear since then. When I turn ignition switch to start there is a cliq coming from under a fuse cluster under the dash. Checked all fuses and none blew. This also looks like a big circuit board. I disconnected all battery cables to the chassis once more. I will reconnect them tomorrow evening and see if something changes this time. If not I will send you pics of where the cliq is coming from. Don Cole 2005 Alfa Seeya

Hi Gary thank you for your help. As you know I crossed the battery cables when changing chassis batteries a couple of weeks back. This is when trouble started The information screen on the dash reads Park set in gear since then. When I turn ignition switch to start there is a cliq coming from under a fuse cluster under the dash. Checked all fuses and none blew. This also looks like a big circuit board. I disconnected all battery cables to the chassis once more. I will reconnect them tomorrow evening and see if something changes this time. If not I will send you pics of where the cliq is coming from. Don Cole 2005 Alfa Seeya
Reconnected battery cables and no dif. I have attached some pics of where the cliqing is coming from. If you see the pic of the left side of the circuit board there are two white boxes. The one to the top seems to be where the cliqing when turning ignition key to start is coming from unless it is underneath there. The four screws are kinda tough to get too holding board in place. Should I take them out and see what's underneath ? I'm stuck on what to do next

Attachments

• 20240319_161049.jpg
    20240319_161049.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240319_161152.jpg
    20240319_161152.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240319_161206.jpg
    20240319_161206.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240319_161403.jpg
    20240319_161403.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240319_161413.jpg
    20240319_161413.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240319_161514.jpg
    20240319_161514.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240319_161540.jpg
    20240319_161540.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 4
Since this was when the problem started, it seems pretty likely that it caused something to fail. I would be very surprised if a loose wire or connection fixes it.
Yes , I agree completely just don't know wich way to go. Thanks Kirk

Are you into electronics? It is possible that if you look at the right circuit board you would be able to see the damaged component or even some damage to one of the foil paths. I don't have much experience with diesels but in my career did a lot of work on circuit boards so might be able to help.

You reversed the positive and negative voltages in your chassis. That is about the worst thing you can do to the chassis electrical system.

I suspect you have fried the ECM (Engne Control Module) and the only “repair” is a replacement. Expensive…

You reversed the positive and negative voltages in your chassis. That is about the worst thing you can do to the chassis electrical system.

I suspect you have fried the ECM (Engne Control Module) and the only “repair” is a replacement. Expensive…
Yes it was a bad day when I crossed those cables but lifes to short to mull over it. I Had someone else mention the TCU may be the problem because of the message on info center. Gearset Not in Park. Would you know if the power runs thru the TCU first to tell the EXM the transmission is in neutral before the Brain sends a single to the ignition circuit to let the starter do its thing and turn the engine over

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom