Front/Rear Hitch Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SantaCruzin

Hey all!

Not "towing" as such, so I thought asking here might be more appropriate. I'm looking for opinions on the best way to approach carrying bikes/motorcycles.

I just got done installing a front hitch on my 1997 Jamboree Searcher 24D so I now have a front hitch with a "500 lb" tongue weight rating and the stock rear hitch with the "250 lb" tongue weight rating. When not towing a vehicle or boat (whole other discussion) I am planning on bringing with me either my 2016 Beta 430RS (Dual-Sport Motorcycle, 246 lbs) or my 2009 Vespa S50 (scooter, 211 lbs) and our bikes (probably 180 lbs with bikes and rack).

On our upcoming 1200 mile, 11 day trip I am planning to bring the bikes and the Beta, and I'm curious on opinions on which should go on the front or back. Considerations I am weighing:
? The motorcycle carrier is lower/longer. Possible making approach/departure angle a factor.
? The motorcycle and carrier are probably around 270 lbs, a bit over the tongue weight rating at the rear.
? I haven't checked anything on the front yet, but I am a bit worried about blocking headlights with the motorcycle
? Either will be a bummer for "aerodynamics"
? I've read that people prefer motorcycles on the front from a weight distribution perspective?
? I installed the front hitch...I'm normally pretty mechanical but still...ya never know with my baby-induced sleep deprivation.

I have no experience with either but I've had many trailer hitches scrape the road leaving gas stations and such. The longer overhang behind the rear axle makes anything in the back stick out too far. I'd think the front would be the best for anything bulky. Plus you can see it better if anything comes loose.

I have both.

The 2" rear receiver came with the unit. I had a 2" front receiver installed at U-Haul on my Ford E-350.

I use the front receiver to carry stuff which is normally wood. We don't transport wood out of our county because of the Asian Long Horned Beetle. Buying wood near the camp ground is normally a requirement and those little bundles campgrounds sell for six bucks is expensive. Normally, you can buy wood going into the camp ground area at a reasonable price so we use a 2' by 4' flat carrier on the front and strap the wood down.

I have a single 2" inch receiver to double 2" receiver adapter that I can carry my bikes on the top receiver and my toad or trailer on the bottom. I prefer to trailer my motorcycle but I bought a device that can hold the front tire and the rear tire rides on the ground.

The hitch tongue weight rating is probably calculated with the load over a standard spaced ball - about 4 inches(?) max from the receiver.  When you have a load suspended beyond that you have a moment arm that creates more stress which is expressed in foot/pounds or inch/pounds.

Lets say the center of gravity for the Motorcycle hauler is 16 inches from the receiver

500# X 4" = 2,000 inch/pounds = 167 foot/pounds
500# X 16" = 8,000 inch/pounds = 667 foot/pounds

In theory with a load suspended at 16 inches you would have a 125# capacity = 2,000 inch/pounds/16 inches. The documentation for your bike hauler should give some details about this. OTOH - I see these used all the time and they mostly advertise a 400 pound bike capacity so maybe I have the CG off.

Having said all that I would definitely put the heavier weight on the rear wheels.  It's the same weight and balance equation. I would be more concerned about "heavy" steering than I would about loading the rear axles.

You are right to worry about approach and departures angles, especially if you have a large rear overhang.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom