Front wheels off the ground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

banjo5491

I have a 40 ft tour and at a campground that's not to level. When I use the jacks to level the coach, the front tires are completely off the ground. Will I be doing any damage ,to the coach, if I park this way?                                   

I'd appreciate any advice.

Banjo man thanks you

No big deal, though I often put boards under the tires after they are off the ground ...makes dw feel better. It can make the first step upward a big one!

It's best to provide some support for the front wheels rather than have them dangle, but it shouldn't be any problem on a late model diesel coach.  In the past, there have been some issues with windshields moving or front caps cracking when the front end was jacked up high, but the coach builders have improved the rigidity of their structures enough that we simply don't hear of those problems anymore. I still put wood blocks under my wheels, though, if I have to raise the front (or back) that much. Old habits die hard, plus I'd rather be safe than sorry!

You will probably nnot do any damage unless the slope is to the side. I have seen motorhomes tend to slide sideways when one axle is off the ground. For this reason, I always drive up on boards and then use the jacks to stabilize and level. I imagine that you know to not raise the rear wheels off the ground because you loose the axle lock and can roll.

If you have air bags, you might be able to keep your front wheels on the ground by deflating the bags on the rear.  Of course, don't do that without an air compressor being available.

I would ask for another site. I ran into that situation with no other sites available, and left the CG after getting a refund. There are too many other places to go. JMHO.  Eddie Elk.

I would grab my air/hydraulic bottle jack, Lift the wheels a bit and lay staggered lumber under them (Stair steps so I can back off).

Here is why.

If only ONE front wheel is off the ground, No problem

But if BOTH (Front or rear) are off the ground then a wind guest hitting from the side and push hard enough, at least in theory, to turn you nice hydraulic kacks into 500 dollar plus labor pretzles. (That is a rounded figure on E-bay).

Likewise if just one rear wheel is off the ground, your drive shaft parking brake is no good and the rig can move forward or backward if hit in one or the other end.

I have one pretzled jack (road hazard) and really do not want any more.

Are you leveling in automatic or manual mode. I would suggest you run the levelers using the manual mode. I think you will find you can level the coach without raising the front wheels off the ground. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom