Frozen Planet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

Yesterday I went to Walmart and they are having a special sale on the Frozen Planet DVD series. It is $34 for the 3 disc Blu ray set. It is also on sale bundled with the Life 4 disc DVD set (non-BR) for $29. That is 7 discs at about $4 each. Both sets are completely amazing especially from a photography standpoint. They pull out every trick in the book, extreme slow motion, high speed, macro, very long telephoto, time lapse and a number of other amazing things. Frozen Planet gets a 9.3 user rating on IMDB and so does Life. Frozen Planet was released in 2011 and Life in 2009. Of course Life is Oprah narrating the Earth series which was narrated by David Attenborough. David does narrate Frozen Planet. If you have a BR player this series will really show off your player and your TV.

But if you don't want to watch an occasional animal eating another animal then "never mind".

zzyzx said:
But if you don't want to watch an occasional animal eating another animal then "never mind".

WHY SHOULD WE BE THE ONLY ONES EATING TASTY ANIMALS?
oops, didn't mean to shout. 

Sounds like a neat series, do they have the thing to change languages and just read subtitles?  I don't have much confidence in O's scientific knowledge.

PancakeBill said:
WHY SHOULD WE BE THE ONLY ONES EATING TASTY ANIMALS?
oops, didn't mean to shout. 

Sounds like a neat series, do they have the thing to change languages and just read subtitles?  I don't have much confidence in O's scientific knowledge.
Some people just can't stomach nature when it is brutal so I thought I would add that in so no one would get upset if they bought it on my recommendation and then were offended. Personally I don't like watching humans eat tasty animals.

Oprah didn't write her own lines. She is reading. The science presented is solid. Subtitles are available.

This post will probably raise some heckles.

Only the "squirrely " mind of humans will elect not to eat meat.

Believe it or not, even Squirrels will eat bugs and snakes when the are hungry enough.

These series are absolutely amazing! Having an HD TV makes them even more so. The videography is incredible!

wgb1 said:
These series are absolutely amazing! Having an HD TV makes them even more so. The videography is incredible!

Tom's HDTV is huge -- with incredible picture quality. In order to get it in his new RV, they must have had to temporarily remove one of the front windows.  :)

Seriously, though, I have taken the tour of Tom's new RV and he has really done a great job of remodeling and making it Tom's RV in terms of what Tom enjoys - his photography, his extensive DVD collection, and his music.

Actually, the best part of the tour was meeting Tarzan. One of the most pleasant and friendly cats I have met in quite awhile.

Bob Buchanan said:
Tom's HDTV is huge -- with incredible picture quality. In order to get it in his new RV, they must have had to temporarily remove one of the front windows.  :)

Seriously, though, I have taken the tour of Tom's new RV and he has really done a great job of remodeling and making it Tom's RV in terms of what Tom enjoys - his photography, his extensive DVD collection, and his music.

Actually, the best part of the tour was meeting Tarzan. One of the most pleasant and friendly cats I have met in quite awhile.

Actually I took my TV and set it on a workbench and had an RV built around it. It is a 46 incher and it works great in my RV.

I was going to have a seamstress come over today and finish my drapes. Then I was going to photograph the interior and post the photos since I have gotten a lot of requests to see what I have done to the interior of the Condormobile. But it rained all last night and she will have to set up her sewing machine on the picnic table. So I don't think that is going to happen today. Remember Bob, I told you bad weather follows me around like a shadow. I am in San Diego which has the best weather in the country and it has been overcast all week.

Tarzan enjoyed meet you Bob. He loves everyone.

I probably missed it, but where did you put a 46" tv?  I replaced mine with a 32" sets on dash, when traveling, it lays on the bed.  Is yours permanent mounted?

PancakeBill said:
I probably missed it, but where did you put a 46" tv?  I replaced mine with a 32" sets on dash, when traveling, it lays on the bed.  Is yours permanent mounted?
When you walk in the side door it is directly in front of you. It is sitting in front of the large window that is directly behind the driver's seat. Yes it is permanently mounted. I bolted a cabinet to the floor that is about 30 inches wide and 24 inches high. Then I bolted the base plate of the TV to the cabinet with four nuts and bolts. Then I used two thick metal straps bolted to the VESA mounting holes on the back of the TV. Then I bolted the top of those straps to the overhead storage cabinets. If I roll the RV the TV won't move an inch. I have a trap door over the steps and I sit in front of the door to watch the TV. I have a surround sound system with a Blu ray player in the cabinet with three speakers above the TV, the sub woofer next to the cabinet and the two rear speakers under the overhead cabinets above the seating position. I also have a Sony Playstation 3 in the cabinet. It is like being in an Imax theater. The TV was $500 and the surround system and speakers was $250. The PS3 was $300 for a total of $1050.

PancakeBill said:
Back to Frozen Planet, watching it on Animal Planet.  WOW.  tonight is Making Of.  Amazing stuff.

We watched it on Discovery channel some time back. Neat stuff, though some of it looks to be cribbed from Planet Earth (most isn't). Good show (we loved it), but I think Planet Earth was better.

Larry - I agree with you that Planet Earth was a bit better than Frozen Planet. The reason I posted this in the first place is to alert people that Frozen Planet and Life are on sale at Walmart for $29 for the pair. Life was cribbed from Planet Earth but it is still pretty spectacular.

PancakeBill said:
As in same footage?  Or same subject?
Life and Planet Earth were filmed by a lot of the same film crews and a lot was filmed at the same time. I feel like Life was put together off of the cutting room floor of Planet Earth. A lot of the same subjects are covered. They might even use some of the same footage. Basically the two series are produced by the same people a few years apart and are remarkably similar. Both are outstanding.

The British Broadcasting Corporation Natural history unit does some wonderful work but why do we need that Opray women on it, can't you understand David speaking correct English

Loddy ::)

loddy said:
The British Broadcasting Corporation Natural history unit does some wonderful work but why do we need that Opray women on it, can't you understand David speaking correct English
I think Oprah does a much better job of pronouncing words so that an American can actually understand them. I cringe every time David pronounces "glacier". That may be the way the English pronounce it but it is not the way Americans announce it. But you have your choice, Life is available with Oprah or David doing the narration.

LOL, good job I'm not narrating with my still-noticeable Welsh accent  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom