Fuel filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chajos1

Hi everyone,
I have an Alliance fuel filter ABP/N122-32FRT01. Does anyone know the Catapiller number of this filter? Catapiller dealers do not have a cross reference Alliance to Catapiller filter, they tell me to get the engine number and they might be able to tell me the Cat number for the filter.
Hope someone can help,
Joe

This filter is referenced as a 30 micron filter which would be ok as a primary in a two filter system. Do you have a single or two filter system? You can call Winnebago with your coach serial and they can tell you how it came from them or crawl under and look. I thought the 2004 only had one filter but could have been changed over also.
Your secondary filter, (or only filter if a single system) needs to be a 2 micron. This would be Cat 175-2949, Racor S-3203 or Alliance S32FRT03. The cat has a manual drain but no bowl. Some of the numbers vary whether you want the filter with a new bowl or just the filter (you can reuse your bowl).
It is very important to have the correct rated filter but it does not have to be cat.

I have a 2003 Itasca with one filter. When I got the MH it had a Cat filter which was either a 10 or a 30 micron unit. I now use a 2 micron Racor filter S3201S. It works fine. The filter has (2 Micron) printed on it.

Wayne, my coach also came with the wrong filter installed. Seems like the dealers got used to the more common two filter system and get used to just installing the 30 micron out back.
Racor is a very good filter and all I use but just an FYI, if you are using the S3201 it is a 10 micron unit. If you have the single filter switch to the S3203, it is 2 micron. Or the B32003 if you want the filter to come with a new drain bowl.

I have a single filter on my coach. It's the Alliance ABP/N122-32FRT01, I need to know the cat number for this filter. I always have trouble finding the Alliance filter and it would just be easier to buy the Cat filter.

>>if you are using the S3201 it is a 10 micron unit<<<

Why does it say 2 microns on it if it is a 10 micron unit? It is a S3201S. The last "S" is important.

The letter at the end makes the difference. According to the Racor-Parker catalog, the S3201S is  a 2 micron, the S3201T a 10 micron, and the S3201P a 30 micron.

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.de7b26ee6a659c147cf26710237ad1ca?vgnextdiv=687630&vgnextfmt=default&vgnextcatid=2934916&vgnextcat=S3201%20SERIES&vgnextoid=fcc9b5bbec622110VgnVCM10000032a71dacRCRD

chajos1: Try a NAPA dealer and see if they have a cross-ref for your Alliance to a Wix or their own NAPA brand. Then maybe you can find a Cat cross-ref for that.

The ABP-32FRT01 is indeed a 30 micron filter and must be used in conjunction with a secondary 2 micron filter.  The ABP-32FRT03 is a 2 micron filter and suitable for use in a single filer system. The Cat equivalent to the 32FRT03 is the 198-6378 (also a 2 micron filter), but I don't know what the 32FRT01 equivalent is.

My MH came with the CAT 198-6378. I was told that the filter is not 2 micron but 30 micron. That is why I changed over to the RACOR. There was a lot of confusion from the CAT people and others as to what was what. The story kept changing. This was at an RV show in Orlando or somewhere.

>>if you are using the S3201 it is a 10 micron unit<<<

Why does it say 2 microns on it if it is a 10 micron unit? It is a S3201S. The last "S" is important.

Wayne, this is correct with the S as a 2 micron, for the 90gph series filter. You said you had the Cat so I assumed you were using the 60gph which should use the S3203 2 micron. In the 60 gph 320 ser, which are usually used on cats the S3201 is 10 micron, my fault for assuming.

Chajos1, the filter you have is incorrect. The correct alliance is the 32frt-03. The cat cross for this would be the 175-2949. Most don't like the cat because it does not have the bowl so they switch to the racor S3201 (2 mic at 60 gph). This should screw right on your filter head and you can reuse the filter bowl you have.

90gph sounds better than 60gph.

OK, that explains that. Learn something everyday. Unfortunately, I usually forget something every day. :'(

I purchased a cup and install it on the new filter so I can have a filter ready to go when out in the boonies. Figured I might break it while removing the cup and putting it on the new one. If it breaks would probably have to call somebody and pay $200 to get everything going again. I carry a gallon of clean kerosene to fill the filter before installing. Engine usually starts right up if I do everything right.

I purchased a cup and install it on the new filter so I can have a filter ready to go when out in the boonies
This is also a very good idea, same thing I do. I have a gal can of diesel and a small drip pan, they are not too tough to change in the field. I also have a plastic cap I use to plug the center hole to fill filter, this way fuel goes into small outside holes and thru filter before going to engine. Try and start with the MH reasonably level so the fuel don't siphon back to tank.

OK, I am trying to learn something here. I have a cummins ISB with 2 filters.
Cummins
Pre filter is 4934879
2nd filter is 4934845

We do not know the specs on the Cummins filters, but have been using Wix
Pre filter is 33965  2 micron
2nd filter is 33966  5 micron

Why would the prefilter be finer than the secondary filter?

Neal said:
OK, I am trying to learn something here. I have a cummins ISB with 2 filters.
Cummins
Pre filter is 4934879
2nd filter is 4934845

The filter closer to the tank should be coarser and the filter closer to the engine should be finer.  Otherwise, there's no point of having 2 filters.

Neal, I am going from memory here but here is the short version. You are looking at the nominal ratings only, which can be misleading. You need to pay attention to the beta ratios. Once you find out at what sizes the tests were performed then the only other real difference is dirt handling capacity (size of can), if all else is equal meaning flow rates, etc.
Your prefilter which is listed as a nominal 2m really is a 20/75=6/10. The beta ratio means it is 95% efficient at 6m and 98.7% efficient at 10m.
Your 2nd filter which is listed as a nominal 5m is really 98.7% efficient at 5m. This means the 2nd filter really is a "finer" filtration than the water/fuel separator used as the primary or prefilter.
This is why you have to be careful when crossing filter mfrs from one number to another. They don't always list equal info so it can be easy to get into trouble.
Hope this helps.

Those are Cummins part numbers for standard Fleetguard filters. The Fleetguard filter number for each is shown below:

Pre filter is 4934879 = FS1065
2nd filter is 4934845 = FF5632

The 4934879/FS1065 is a water separator filter, whereas the 4934845/FF5632 is a "high efficiency" filter as Maverick described.  I've never heard of the FS1065 described as a 2 micron filter, though.  It is rated as a 10 micron filter (at 98%). The FF5632 is a 2 micron filter.

See http://cumminsengines.com/assets/pdf/4971286.pdf

I've never heard of the FS1065 described as a 2 micron filter, though.

Gary, the 1065 crosses over to the Wix 33965 which Neal is using. Didn't sound right to me either so I looked it up and Wix lists it as a 2 mic and the 33966 as a 5 mic. Both are nominal ratings though so they really mean nothing in regards to efficiency or in comparison to the Cummins filters.

Thanks, guys

There is always a lot we would like to learn.

Then there is much more which we will never learn.

But I do learn a lot on this helpful site.

Hi, sorry to bring up this old thread but I have a question.  I need to get a fuel filter for my 1 filter CAT 3126 engine.  Above, people mention using a Racor S3201S (2 micron) and this link http://www.catrvclub.org/fuel_filters.htm says that the Racor replacement for the Alliance S32FRT03 is the S3203.  Is there any reason to use the S3203 instead of the S3201S?  They appear to be essentially the same except that the S3201S is 2" taller.  As long as it fits, it seems to be that the larger filter would be a better choice.

Let me know what you think,
Mike

LOL, such confusion. Read my previous posts(Fuel filters, AGAIN) and the comments I got about fuel filters. BTW, the rating of the Racor fuel filter (3201) is designated by the last letter. S, P, etc. I forget what they are. Some engines, Catapillar anyway, have a 2 micron filter on the engine and a filter/water separator somewhere on the chassis. Some engines only have the 2 micron filter. Stick with original, you won't go wrong. Carry a spare or two. You probably won't ever need them if you change filters regularly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom