Full Timers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barryn514

What is the average miles a year a full timer puts on a DP?

The reason I ask is that I was told that DP like to be drove and unless I put 10,000 miles+  a year on a coach. it's not worth spending the extry money.

We're full-timers and have been for 7 years now.  I don't think it's how many miles per year as much as how long you stay per stop.  If you plan on staying in one spot for many months, the engine (and such) don't get exercised enough, therefore a 5th wheel might fit your plans better.  If, however, you move more often, say every week or two weeks, a motor home makes more sense.  As far as gas vs diesel, that depends on other items, where you travel (mountains or flat), how much you carry and such.  DPs are for sure heavier and I think ride/handle better than gas models.  No one size fits all here.

Thanks  Chuck

Hi Barryn...

We put a little over 2500 miles on our DP last year, and 1900 of that was over the last 10 days (Just got home yesterday from an Oregon RV trip). Cyndi is still working full-time so we can usually only take local weekend trips. The cost of owning/operating our DP is more than our previous gasser, but it's exactly the MH we wanted so it's definitely "worth it" to us.

(By the way, we still have to hook up at Potrero or some other place soon)

Kev 

Off topic but

Kev, nice to hear from you.

We are planning a trip to Bend OR this next May so maybe you can help us plan a route and places to stay in route. Taking 2 weeks.

We still do a lot of local trip just so we can use the new MH. Aug 15 will spend 4 nights at KOA and then 4 night at Chula Vista Marine RV park.

Barry

Sounds good.

Our trip was to Paulina Lake campground, which is about 45 miles south of Bend off of highway 97 - the route you'll likely take - a good road. No hookups at all at Paulina - just dry-camping in the pine trees at 6300 feet. We barely fit in our site - camp host didn't think we'd make it - had to forward/reverse over and over to get into the biggest site they had, and the campground roads were tight - had to disconnect the toad to make the turns. Beautiful camping though.

I'll be in touch about something local.

Kev

Back
Top Bottom