Full Timing with multiple cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OutdoorFT

I've researched this topic a bit. But, I just wanted some other opinions.

I have five (5) fur children. 4 of which are from same litter, the 5th we picked up from a friend. They get along for the most apart, occasionally fight like anything else.

Now would an RV be too small for them plus 2 adults? We are looking at a 30 footer minimum. If it makes a difference, our apartment is microscopic and they have no problems finding their own space.

Thanks for any in sight. I would not want to make it uncomfortable for them, but also can't give them away. Here is what I have, size may vary a bit due to spaying.

Attachments

• Picture0923151705_1.jpg
    Picture0923151705_1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 121
I don't full-time, but we are gone for a month at a time with 2 cats in a much smaller travel trailer. The best thing we did was to buy a cat tree with multiple spots for them. We also have to scoop the box frequently. With 5 cats would you need two boxes though.

I am single and I have been full timing with three cats for years. No problems at all other than the occasional squabble. I have one large litter box that I put in the shower and I shower in the clubhouse here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DK60E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I sift it every other day and replace the litter once a week. I have a large automatic feeder that holds a few weeks worth of food:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H272S0?keywords=cat%20feeder&qid=1453718670&ref_=sr_1_4&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-4

And a great automatic waterer that lasts about two days before I have to add water:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000L3XYZ4?keywords=waterfall%20fountain%20cats&qid=1453718814&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

It filters the water and is quiet. I also have two scratching posts nailed to the walls:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005F5CHTW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

They are all indoor cats and a few months ago one cat escaped and when she didn't return I had to buy a cage to capture her with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RAMT?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I got her back in one day. They are cheaper than real children.

Attachments

• cats.jpg
    cats.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 76
Don't give up your fur babies.  They will adjust or you will adjust if need be.  I would think you could fix them up with all kinds of entertainment besides a cat tree. They will love to explore all the hidden nooks and crannies and probably find some you haven't discovered. They will love the big window in the front to sunbath and look out so plan accordingly with day bedding up there.  They will probably have more fun rving than you will ;D ;D

Love the picture.  The big red one reminds me of our cat that we got as a kitten as few years ago.
We were sitting on the couch trying to figure out a name for him and he was doing his usual zooming back and forth from room to room.  Just as he ran across both our laps, jumped down to the floor and whizzed into the bedroom, we looked at each other and yelled "FLASH". :)

I think the fur babies will love it if you have lots of windows. Campgrounds have lots of great views and things to watch.

I would plan on scooping the litter several times a day to keep everyone happy. Most campgrounds have dumpsters in walking distance so it's easy enough to carry the litter out in the endless grocery bags several times a day.

I used to fill empty containers with poop for the garbage, for instance a coffee can with lid, didn't go out empty, it went out full of used cat litter. Any empty container that could hold used littler did.

Makes for heavier garbage, but I kept the litter box super clean when I had my kitties and kept the garbage going to the dump pretty often.

I have also read about folks that put in a secret cat access door to a basement locker that had their cat litter box. One couple even put in a screened window on the outside locker, so the cats could go down there and see outside.

Just one cat on the road, however she has her plush facility with vent fan and reading light.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=88222.0;attach=95108

whiteva,

We travel by air to most destinations but with our zoo, three indoor cats and one American Mastiff there are not many places willing to take us on. So, we are getting back into the world of Motor homes, thinking about a Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40DST to park in Ft Myers Florida for winter then move up to Maine in the summer.  Of course I'll have to reposition our Beechcraft Sundowner where ever we spend time. 

Our greatest concern has been the cats and the litter box.  I had wondered about providing access to a 'basement' storage area to eliminate the sight and odors,  Love your idea and will have to adapt to whatever we end up with. Thanks for the post and link to the switch.

We both recently retired to Ocean City MD.  However, we need more summer temps to make winter enjoyable.

Got home from Church and for assorted reasons decided to take a nap before starting my On-Oline day.... Day actually started out well.. Was awakened by Pandora playing Classical Radio for Studying (My Old Kentucky Home) and then got ready, put on my special Valentine's day T-Shirt and met by best Female Friend for breakfast at Waffle House (Shirt says I (heart) you a Waffle Lot)

We made plans for Tomorrow (Work at the store to get ready for:) And Tuesday (Picking up groceries for our food bank)  and talked about her night (Spent night in Hospital parking lot while her Sister-In-Law did the ER thing..... Again).

Then Church (Good music and friends).

Then came home and decided I wanted a nap. About two hours later I'm lying there, snug in Bed, Cat in each hand, getting petted, Still listening to Pandora Classical Radio for Studying (Clair De Lune) and thinking.. The only thing that would make it better would be reading a book.. But alas, to do that I'd have to take a hand off one of the cats, if not both.

We take our 2 cats with us in a 30 foot motorhome. We go on shorter trips now (1-3 weeks) waiting for the day to start full-timing! The cats actually love it. They are both indoor only and adjust very quickly to the smaller RV space.

Alisa

OutdoorFT said:
I've researched this topic a bit. But, I just wanted some other opinions.

I have five (5) fur children. 4 of which are from same litter, the 5th we picked up from a friend. They get along for the most apart, occasionally fight like anything else.

Now would an RV be too small for them plus 2 adults? We are looking at a 30 footer minimum. If it makes a difference, our apartment is microscopic and they have no problems finding their own space.

Thanks for any in sight. I would not want to make it uncomfortable for them, but also can't give them away. Here is what I have, size may vary a bit due to spaying.

I am out on the road doing the same thing. I decided that just because I changed my lifestyle, they shouldn't go by the wayside. Where there's a will, there's a way! And truthfully, what did they do at home? Lie about in one spot sleeping all day.  :)

I also want the inside of my 31' to not reflect the smell of cat so I work diligently to keep it that way. I don't mind changing boxes asap and daily. Nature's Miracle Advanced for Cats. and Simple Green for cleaning my place in general works very well. 

With a Class C Motorhome, you know where they've taken over - yes, that's right...the cabover! LOL The higher the better.

Hi there,

The journey of myself, my partner, and our four cats fulltiming in our older 37' Class A only began eight days ago, so my experience on the subject is limited.

We moved all four cats into the Beast ( this is the motorhome's name ) and left them in it, the day we brought it home, in preparation for going Fulltime a month later. 

We keep the litter box on the floor in front of the passenger chair right in the front of the unit and scoop it daily, and there are no odor issues.

None of them like it much when the engine gets fired up, even when it's not moving. They all have their own spot where they like to hide and will do so as soon as we start the engine. Not one of them makes so much of a peep and none of them get sick. They just hide.  They will stay there until we stop moving and the engine is turned off.  Give it ten minutes and they're all back to doing what cats do best- sleeping in the sun and playing.

In another week we will be setting up camp on a semi-permanent basis ( two to six months). The park we are going has no issues with the number of cats we have and doesn't charge us the pet fee.  Prior to living in the Beast, three out of four were indoor/outdoor cats; they were only outdoors if we were home and never at night, and we've never had any trouble with them running off. They know which side their bread is buttered on :)

One of the four is a stray we took in a year ago and we have no idea how old she is. Cleo is her name and she is a beautiful tortie.  Mikki is a grey/ white tabby and will be two in September.  George is a big goofy tuxedo cat and will be two in January.  TJ is Cleo's son ( she is fixed now ) and he's a big, gorgeous Ginger who will turn one in September.

We believe we will have no problems fulltiming with them, particularly because they're young, and because they're spoiled rotten.

I also have a tortie named Cleo. I have three cats total and I have been full timing with them for years.  Cats are very adaptable and they will not cause any problems.

Here's what I made several years ago.  We put it in the window when we are in the MH and it is not raining.  The kitties love it.

Attachments

• kitty kondo.jpg
    kitty kondo.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 41
Appreciate this thread since we are researching RV life, potentially with a couple furry passengers. One suggestion I can share has worked for us in our downsizing move from a large family-sized house to a much smaller apartment. One cat truly earned her name of "Princess" by dominating all the others! Quite the bully, even to a larger male. What helps are Feliway Comfort Zone diffusers. They plug in just like air fresheners and diffuse pheromones that mimic those of a mother cat. We also use pheromone-releasing collars from Sentry. They really do work to reduce bullying & hostility. They must be replaced with a refill about every 30 days. Depending on current sales and other promotions that affect price, I alternate buying them from Dr. Foster and Smith (available online), Omaha Vaccines (aka Pet Supplies Delivered), and Amazon. I plan to use them in the RV if we actually purchase one and travel with the cats. BTW, they also make pheromone diffusers for dogs that experience anxiety. I hope this suggestion helps!

Back
Top Bottom