Fulltimer's Fifth Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

The requirements of a fulltimer in an RV are different from those of a vacationer or casual traveller.

When looking at fulltiming in a fifth wheel, excluding the towing requirements of a more powerful tow vehicle, which is understood,  what are the requirements within the fifth wheel that need to be considered for fulltiming?

How does storage space vary from one brand to another and what floor plan lends itself best to a couple who are fulltiming?

Is there such a thing as an "all electric" fifth wheel?

Esscalade, Carriage, Mountain Air, are the three we looked at. Insulation, pull-thru basement, and dinette on the door-side are things we would look at.  A LP genterator with 40 gal tanks, w/d, and a inverter/converter would be a plus. Along with tinted glass.  First things that come to mind. 

Good Luck on your search
Barb

Thanks Barb!  Did you look at the Holiday Rambler Presidential Suiite at any time?

Although the door side dinette is what appeals to us, I wonder what is the disadvantage of the roadside dinette, and curbside kitchen, other than persona preference?

Depending on the layout.  The disadvantage of the roadside, is that you cannot see anyone approaching the 5'er, or standing at the door.  With curbside, if your stopped for lunch or dinner, one can see out of the slide windows.  Another thing to consider, is, if you want access to everything while traveling.  Do you want to be able to cook, or watch TV, without putting out slides. 

At one time we did look at a HR Presd.  Was impressed.  But we would not to business with the local dealer, as he didn't want to deal.

Good Luck
Barb

Steve said:
Thanks Barb!  Did you look at the Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite at any time?

Although the door side dinette is what appeals to us, I wonder what is the disadvantage of the roadside dinette, and curbside kitchen, other than persona preference?

Steve,

I looked hard at the Presidential, until I spotted some broken trim on the topside of one of the slideouts, it was made of foam plastic ! For a rig in that price range I wanted real solid wood everywhere ! We chose the Newmar Torrey Pine, and couldn't be happier.

We drooled over the Tetons but could not see the extra 25-30 grand. Also looked at the Escalade, very impressive but lacking in a few critical area's IMHO. Considered the Mobile Suites Elite series, but every floorplan we like required you to extend the slides just to enter the coach, but the quality was there.

Travel Supreme is another top notch FifthWheel .

Carriage makes some real nice 5'vers also.

There are more I am sure ,but these are the ones that actually made it to our short list for full timing.

Be sure and get one, that you want to live in, and don't worry about anyone else.

We will be making a quite a few trips with our grandkids, but 99% of the time its just Cindy and I therefore, I wanted lots of room.

We chose a freestanding Dinette over the "booth" and since the two places we spend most of the time in is the livingroom and bedroom ,we chose, the largest open space we could find in those two rooms. Large roomy shower and large roomy WC.

I am great on the grill but lack the culinary prowess of the kitchen, Cindy's a great cook but more of a meat and potatoes kinda gal, so a large under used kitchen, was not on top of our "have to have" list. A Big, long, comfy, couch was a mandatory requirement, for those days when hanging out in the RV is a must, Cindy likes recliners but I don't.

Ken

Which Company makes that?

Also looked at the Escalade, very impressive but lacking in a few critical area's IMHO

Where did it fall short?

In fact we won't be travelling with it, but would set it up at one location year round.  At least that's one option being considered, while the mototrhome is put on the market.  IAC it definitely won't be towed.

escalade is a k-z product i believe.
http://kz-rv.com/escalade/index.html
http://kz-rv.com/escalade_sp/index.html

Steve said:
In fact we won't be travelling with it, but would set it up at one location year round.  At least that's one option being considered, while the mototrhome is put on the market.  IAC it definitely won't be towed.

Never, ever move?  In that case I would start shopping for park models.  No tanks to worry about and heat -- just plug into park facilities, water, sewer, power.  Have  a propane dealer spot you a large propane tank.

In that case I would start shopping for park models

That would be my first choice, Carl, but the condo bylaws prohibit park models in our section of the park.  I'd be looking for a 40 foot fifth wheel.

I prefer off season camping/trips. One of things I learned, especially for any type of cold weather is look at how the plumbing is either insulated and or ducted.  My Alpenlite, all of the plumbing was ran next to a basement heating duct and the sewer dump spout had only about 3 or 4 inches exposed to the outside.  My Alpenlite performed very well in cold weather and I had no difficulties with anything trying to freeze.  That is another brand you may wish to take a peek at.

A lot goes into the area of personal preference. 

I like a bathroom that is a separate room, with a door that closes, not like many 5er's that have part of the bath facilities in the bedroom. 

I also prefer having the layout so a few people can be playing cards, watching TV or whatever and the bedroom removed far enough for sleeping, kind of a common space and private space concept.

As mentioned before, being able to prepare a meal, get to the bathroom and crawl into bed without putting out a slide is important to me.  Wal-Mart is nice, but setting out slides and hanging the lights is taking advantage of their hospitality.

Good points above about the sewer routing and cold weather design.  I've had TT's that became really tedious when the thermometer dropped to 20 deg.

If you are truly wanting a unit to park, I'd suggest not paying for some of the higher end extras in the running gear like shocks on the axles and e-z lube hubs.

good luck!

johncmr

many 5er's that have part of the bath facilities in the bedroom

I've noticed that in several floorplans, and I don't like it either.  The problem is most acute when there are overnight guests or when one person is ill or resting in bed and visitors need to use the toillet.

What brands place their toilet into a separate room?

Steve said:
I've noticed that in several floorplans, and I don't like it either.  The problem is most acute when there are overnight guests or when one person is ill or resting in bed and visitors need to use the toillet.

What brands place their toilet into a separate room?

Look at the Mobile Suites brand, they have a real nice floorplan that has a separate bathroom before you get to the bedroom, but its the one you have to open the slide to get to it.

Thanks Kenneth.  Opening the slide is not an issue, since it will be parked long term.  Appreciate the info, as well as any other pointers on the topic of fifth wheels.

I don't have much experience with fifth wheels, as our travelling has always been done in motorhomes.

Alpenlite has the same......

Thank you Dave!  Separation is important in a full time situation where guests are visiting, sometimes overnight, and the bathroom facilities must afford some privacy.

In my research, I am not finding many makers of 40 foot fifth wheels, though!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom