Fulltiming in the Los Angeles area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was born and raised in the LA area. I worked in the LA area. I've driven all over the area. I'm on the list of people who stay often in WalMart parking lots. I don't think you're necessarily safer in a campground than in a WalMart parking lot....mostly it depends on the area of town. But there are many, many places in LA area where I would not stay overnight. It's not silly. It's not scare tactics. It's not rumor. And this advice is coming from people who have lived or now live and work in the LA area.

I agree with Ron on not staying anywhere that I felt I might need a weapon. Besides, I don't want to stay anywhere that I have to stop after dark and leave before first light. That's not my idea of a restful night.

Wendy

There are many communities around L.A. that are anti-RV and have ordinances that do not allow ANY RV parking except by permit and for a specified and very limited amount of time.  Santa Monica comes to mind.  Jerry's uncle lived there and had about two or three hours to load or unload his small RV in front of the apartment building he owned.  So, aside from all the other things mentioned, local ordinances may prevent your staying on city streets.

I would add that, if you do decide to do this, stay away from schools.  Sometimes when we're traveling and looking to stop for the night in a small town, we purposely bypass school areas because people are just too touchy these days where kids are concerned.  Parking next to a school probably would ensure a visit from the police.  Government buildings probably should also be avoided.

ArdraF

I have stayed in a rv in the LA area, but you always worry. For some reason people there hate seeing people living in the area in an rv and will turn you in.  There are free campgrounds near Palmdale where u can stay for 14 days at a time. 3 BLM campgrounds in (Lone Pine, Crowley Lake, Big Pine) charge $300.00 for 8 Months (march thru November 1st) and you can move between the 3 campgrounds any time you want (lots of fishing). Glass creek Campground u can stay 42 days for free near Mammoth Lakes.  BLM has 10 campgrounds in southern Ca, they charge $195.00 for about 6 months stay from mid oct to about may. The indian reservation charges $45.00 for 3 months boondocking near Yuma. Where everyone winters (snowbirds). In the forest around around LA the rule is 14 day stay in one spot, then 7 days in a new spot in the same district, then then you have to move to a new district. 28 days a year max in a national forest camping in the forest near LA. Then you have to move to the next forest. On BLM land you can boondock 14 days in one spot, then move 25 mile, then another 14 days. The distance between spots might change per area. Slab city near the Salten sea is free the whole year.

DaRL

While there may be a lot of places in the Southern California area where they could stay, I'm thinking they specified L.A. for a reason - such as workplace.  If that's the case they need to find a close-in location.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldlawnman
Back
Top Bottom