Future of RV'n

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What the report shows is that RV camping is stagnant or down slightly over the past 6 years.Other studies RVIA has presented have also shown that Class A deliveries are down while small trailers have increased, around 10% IIRC.

Remember, there are people out there that want to see fuel at much more expensive prices to drive down carbon footprint and stuff like that.  You know, the ones that attack suv's and coal.  They won't stop me for a while but when it costs a dollar per mile to move your rig I think it will effect the RV industry

Diesel in Newfoundland was over six bucks when we were there a few years ago.  Close!

Hi Oscar Mike and all,

Interesting article and rebuttal. I'm from the South Bend area and close to the RV Industry in Elkhart.

My thoughts on higher priced gas, will certainly slow down people traveling and spending money hurting the economy. Probably would need the vacation money to just go to work in their area, which would be a shame.

If fuel did get to the $10 level, it might be possible to run your RV to an area, live in a spot for a while or store it after you are done traveling, flying back (if cost effective) or drive back in a more efficient vehicle. Then return next season or when money permitted to continue on. Granted not the best way to go about things.

Hopefully a breakthough in technology will occur or some other answers and we won't be subjected to having fun doing what we like and should be able to do.

Bear in mind that RIVA has a vested interest in being upbeat and positive about the future of the industry. Not sure the study undertaken on their behalf was interpreted or carried out realistically though. It would be interesting to hear what their members actually thought about their remarks.

Like I just got back from Lowman, ID i spent a night along the highway because the highway was closed to mud slides for the heavy rain we had. Which was fine had a very large turn out to ourselves. Then the next day headed up to Kirkham Hotsprings to a old favorite to find out the place was packed with people. So head up the road a bit more and there is a undeveloped camp ground also well used. Still not a good choice too many people near by. So went back down the road to a camp ground called Mountain View. This campground had about 5 families camping next to the river. We parked at the opposite side of the campground. Very nice place had some evening shade to cool the RV down and no one around. I was capable of firing up the generator to charge batteries and not even bother a soul. No one walking through our site to get to the river. Even better yet far enough to let the the dog run free and not have to be on a leash.

But like Frizlefrak mention above I ended up in a campground that was designed for shorter RV's. I had to get very creative getting turned around to get out. The loop at the end of the road was so tight you can see where people where hooking the bushes and trees with the wall of the RV's.  :eek:

Very interesting thread.  I plan to retire in about 8 months and we plan to half time.  We won't travel much in the middle of the summer unless we are looking for a place to stay cool.

I worry less about a place to stay than about what fuel costs will be.  We live in such a fragile world and still depend so heavily on mid east oil.  We all know that the mid east is a powder keg waiting to blow.  When it does, fuel costs will sky rocket and that will impact the RV industry more than any other factor.

mariekie4 said:
Try to use a Passport America on the east coast is next to impossible, during the summer.
I must be lucky! We just were in (I don't have all the figures in front of me yet) about 25 different parks in the east in the last 2 month's  and used PA in over half of them.
The only place that was difficult was Gutenberg Tennessee area over Labor Day and that only required about 5 or 6 calls to find a full hookup pull through. some places were nearly full outhers not so much.
Bill

mariekie4 said:
A surprising statistic, the US produces 40% of its own oil, only 12% is imported from the Mideast. The rest comes from Africa and South America.

Where our oil comes from is largely irrelevant.  Oil is a commodity traded on the world markets.  If there is a supply disruption anywhere in the world the price is reflected in what everyone in the world pays.  Oil produced in the US won't stay here at lower prices if it can be sold elsewhere in the world at a higher price.

John From Detroit said:
Right now I see campgrounds lying fallow and going to seed.. in fact Mr. King who owns Michigan's Outdoor Adventure just bought another one from the bank for pennies on the dollar.  It should be open in 1-2 years as he has some serious clean up to do.

Thus I see a sufficent number of campsites.  However it may be hard to find one near ______ (A special event you wish to attend) for many many years to come.

I have read or driven past many campgrounds in the same state as the one Mr. king just bought... (He is in the bussiness of buying such campgrounds.. FOR CASH, and then fixing them up into some very nice places to stay.. Like the place I am now)

John, please do tell. Where is this new addition located? Also if you don't mind, which one are you at? You may be as little as 15 miles away from me.

docj said:
Where our oil comes from is largely irrelevant.  Oil is a commodity traded on the world markets.  If there is a supply disruption anywhere in the world the price is reflected in what everyone in the world pays.  Oil produced in the US won't stay here at lower prices if it can be sold elsewhere in the world at a higher price.

Correct.

Producing more oil domestically shifts our balance of trade favorably, but the oil will go where the price is highest for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom