Future updates on trailer stabilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Papachazz

I have a 98 keystone springdale light travel trailer that I am currently using camco aluminum stack jacks for stabilization. I am planning on adding permanent jacks to the frame before next season to save space in my limited storage area and to make setup a little quicker. I am looking at scissor jacks and C jacks to see which would be the best choice to use. Both of them that I am looking at have good reviews from users. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice or experience with these would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of both. The parks that we camp at most often have good level pads so there would only be a need for minor leveling adjustments. 

What is a C jack? 

Most people use these and they are easy to set up. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/scissor-jacks-stabilizing-system-set-of-2/6540. Get an adapter so you can use a cordless drill to extend and retract them. Then use the wrench which comes with them to tighten them up. One thing, you can't use these to jack up the trailer. They are only to stabilize.

Stabilizers aren't designed to level a trailer. If you need leveling side to side, do that with blocks under the tires (we use the orange Lego-like ones). You level front to back with the tongue jack. Once the trailer is level, the stabilizers are deployed to keep it from rocking.

Our current trailer has lecturing stabilizers, but we used the scissor jacks successfully for years on other trailers. We liked them because you can get an electric drill to open or close them.

I know (from experience  ::) ) that scissor jacks aren't meant for leveling the trailer, but when I followed Rene's URL the description was as follows...

"Description
BAL PRODUCTS div of NORCO IND 378
Level and stabilize your trailer or 5th wheel with the best manual leveling system money can buy.
Leveling jacks provide leveling and stabilizing for travel trailers and fifth wheels. Two models extend from 4" to 23-3/4", and one model extends to 30". Given the broad range of ground-to-frame clearance, there's a BAL leveling jack for almost every RV.

The Deluxe Leveling Jack includes a patented roller-bearing assembly for smooth and easy screw operation.

The Standard Leveling Jack provides a sandwich construction bearing design to assist in screw operation.

- See more at: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/scissor-jacks-stabilizing-system-set-of-2/6540#sthash.IilNFMIg.dpuf "

They don't bother to limit the use to stabilization of trailer, they even call it a leveling jack... I am so confused... ???

Keith

I think the confusion stems from differences in application.

Back in my popup days over at a popup forum, this was a frequent topic.  Many pup makers advise against leveling with the jacks due to a potential of bending the frame.... with the jacks placed where the frames aren't necessarily strong enough to hold the weight.

A jack is a jack.  It will lift whatever it's rated for.  I have no idea what these particular ones are rated for, but they'll certainly lift something...

I can say with certainty that when I would be snugging them up on my pup for stabilization, I certainly could and did tweak a corner up a smidge if I needed to...
AND
I can also say with certainty that the pup's frame would twist or rack.  I could see it in the roof alignment and door alignment.

So, what does your RV's maker say?  Go with that..... or else beef up your frame.
or use the BAL wheel leveler if it's single axle and light enough....
that reminds me, I should get mine out of the attic and sell it...

Thanks Keith. If I tried to level my rig with my jacks, I know something would break. Of course I have a "C" Jack system on the rear of my 5vr. I have had the individual jacks on other trailers in the past and I would never attempt to level the trailer with those. 

Update: I did a little research and found that the jacks I referenced will lift 7500#'s.  BAL #24002D.

I believe the difference between    stabilizers      and      levelers    is basically the weight rating of the jack.  If they are rated at 7500#, they can obviously lift the camper to level - within reason.  If it is only rated at 2400#, it is only intended as a stabilizer.  They look and function the same.  Weight rating makes the difference.

I am looking at something that will raise the frame no more than half an inch. I don't want to stress the trailer frame. The stack jacks or stabilizers is what they really are that I am using now do an ok job of keeping the trailer steady. However they only have a small area of contact with the frame and because I live in Oklahoma we can have a storm blow in with some pretty high winds rather quickly. I'm not real confident that what I am using now wouldn't slip out from under the frame if the wind rocked the trailer very much.  I have been looking at the ones rated for 7500# since that is over twice the weight of my trailer. Almost all of the places we camp at have concrete or asphalt pads that are already pretty close to level. Most of the time I just need a slight lift on one of the corners to be dead center level. I have also been looking at automotive scissor style jacks since I will be welding them to the frame.   

Okay, I have been living in a travel trailer full time for the last two years and before that only on long weekend trips.  During the infrequent weekend trips, I did not mind the movement of the trailer.  Now, I mind since I am living in it fulltime.  I was wondering if I could just raiser my trailer up on jack stands so the tires are touching the ground only enough to take off the strain on the axles from the weight of the tires.  Since I am a more mature woman on my own, I really try to stay away from things that require me to be mechanically/handyman inclined.  The pad I am on is crushed asphalt and pretty level.  I have not had to worry about any sinking or compression over the last two years when it rains but the wind does whip up around me and can get me to shaking.  Would the automotive jack stands work for stabilization since it is taking all the weight of the trailer off the tires and leveling/stabilizing jacks? 

I purchased three of these to use on stays longer than overnight and if we were having several people in the unit. They work very well. Probably wouldn't be that difficult to mount to the frame making it easier to deploy.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/universal-rv-stabilizer/34337

I used these when I had trailers.  Really makes it stable \.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/bal-telescopic-stabilizing-jack-24-leg/5724 

Car jack stands are very stable, but not really adjustable.  I had a set of these with our pop up and they worked great.  They are easy to install and adjust.  The height is infinitely adjustable.  They claim to hold 6000# each.  Just make sure they are under frame members.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/aluminum-stack-jacks-set-of-4/4205

Back
Top Bottom