FW Tow Vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLSharp

Rochester, NY summer; Tucson, AZ winter; otherwise
Gary and/or Carl,

I have some very good friends here in the park who are looking for a FW. They are complete novices when it comes to towing, inspite of the fact that they have towed trailers and a FW in the past.

The truck they have is a 2000 F-250, long bed, single rear wheels, differential 3.70 ratio, 7.3L diesel with no exhaust brake. The truck specs are Front GAWR = 5200 lbs, Rear GAWR = 6084 lbs and a GVWR of 8800 lbs. They can't find a GCVR, so I don't know that number. They live in Denver and will be traveling the mountains of the west. There will be three adults weighing an estimated 600 lbs in addition to all the associated gear.

The FW they are looking at is a 2002 Model M-30RLD Holiday Rambler ALUMASCAPE. The owner tells them it weighs 9600 lbs. From what I have found on the Internet, it looks like the 2008 and 2009 HR Alumascapes have a GVWR of 14,400 lbs and have an uloaded weigh closer to 10,000 lbs. I do not know the GVWR of the 2002 Model.

Can either or both of you give them advice on whether their truck can handle this FW? I read most of the RVForum threads on trailers and Fifthwheels but having a motor home the information doesn't stick with me. It does appear that many of our forum member are over weight or close to it. I do not want to see my friends get into a dangerous situation.

Thanks.  Richard

With the 20,000 lb GCWR on a 2000 F250 that trailer is going to be stretching the limits. F250's of that vintage generally have a curb weight around 6000 lbs, so it might pull up to 14,000 lbs. In practice, the limit is probably nearer 13,000 (depending on the specific configuration of the truck, e.g. club cab, crew cab, rear axle ratio, etc).

(9600-9700 lbs is the brochure figure for this trailer's dry weight, so the actual weight, even without personal gear, is likely to be around 10,200 or so. Guestimating 2000-3000 lbs of water and gear brings it near the 13,000 lb mark for a typical "down the road' weight, so the F250 can probably manage it. I had a 1999 F250 club cab diesel and it was a strong vehicle, easily handling our 12,000 lb trailer. I would NOT want to go down hill without some kind of exhaust brake, though. I  strongly recommend your friends add one for a trailer this size.

I would suggest they weigh the truck with them in it, plus full fuel and whatever gear they might typically carry in the truck and see what the trucks road weight is likely to be. Subtract that number form the 20,000 lb GCWR and that's the outer limit for the trailer GVWR.

If they are like most people, they won't get past "it's OK". but I truly hope they get the exhaust brake. And do the weigh in as suggested too - cold be an eyeopener.

RLSharp said:
Gary and/or Carl,

I have some very good friends here in the park who are looking for a FW. They are complete novices when it comes to towing, inspite of the fact that they have towed trailers and a FW in the past.

The truck they have is a 2000 F-250, long bed, single rear wheels, differential 3.70 ratio, 7.3L diesel with no exhaust brake. The truck specs are Front GAWR = 5200 lbs, Rear GAWR = 6084 lbs and a GVWR of 8800 lbs. They can't find a GCVR, so I don't know that number. They live in Denver and will be traveling the mountains of the west. There will be three adults weighing an estimated 600 lbs in addition to all the associated gear.

That truck has a tow rating of 14,000 lbs/13,500 if 4wd.   Allowing a 10% safety factor, it should tow a trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating of no more than 12,600 lbs/12,150 lbs.

The FW they are looking at is a 2002 Model M-30RLD Holiday Rambler ALUMASCAPE. The owner tells them it weighs 9600 lbs. From what I have found on the Internet, it looks like the 2008 and 2009 HR Alumascapes have a GVWR of 14,400 lbs and have an uloaded weigh closer to 10,000 lbs. I do not know the GVWR of the 2002 Model.

Can either or both of you give them advice on whether their truck can handle this FW? I read most of the RVForum threads on trailers and Fifthwheels but having a motor home the information doesn't stick with me. It does appear that many of our forum member are over weight or close to it. I do not want to see my friends get into a dangerous situation.

Go by the gross vehicle weight rating of the actual trailer.   It is shown on the DOT plate located on the drivers side exterior wall at the front edge.   The number will be shown as GVWR.  If the GVWR exceeds the numbers I gave, they should look for something smaller.  If it is less, then they are ok with that unit.

With 5th wheels there is also the rear axle weight rating vs. the hitch weight of the trailer.  With a single rear wheel F250 that may well be of concern  I'll pass the buck to Gary on that.

Newt & Jan said:
Can someone tell me why 4wd seems to go along with smaller allowed towing weight.
Because of the added weight of the transfer case and front drive train.  That increases the weight of the truck, which decreases the amount that can be towed. 

Good point about the pin weight and the F250 rear axle, Carl. I forgot to mention that. A fifth wheel that big/heavy is likely to exceed the 250's rear axle rating and perhaps even the total payload capacity.

The tow rating according to my Owners Manual(mine is a 2000 F250 with the 7.3 and 3.73 gears) is 10,000lbs with 11,200lb towing capacity for a gooseneck or Fifth Wheel. Mine is a CC 4X4 SWB which adds alot of weight but mine weighs 7400-7500 lbs empty and that is a scaled weight from 2 separate scales.

These older 250s are not rated for near the amount the newer models are.

I'm not surprised that a spec curb weight of around 6000 turns into a scaled weight over 7000 - that's not an unusual difference.

Bottom line is that a with a GCWR of 20,000 you can tow only the difference between the actual truck weight when loaded for the road and the GCWR. And with the heavy pin wieght of a fifth wheel, you need to be concerned about rear axle capacity as well.

Thanks Curmudgeon.  Makes perfect sense and gave me one of those DUH moments for not figuring it out myself.

Back
Top Bottom