g.p.s.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikenannie

On our way home from Moab our Garmin street pilotIII died. What would you guys suggest for a replacement. We don't need all the fancy bells and whistles, just street by street turns, way points, and points of interest. Is Garmin the best or Magellan, or Tom Tom? Please help.  Mike

If you're not locked in to those three brands, I've been very pleased with the $200 MIO C310X that I purchased in January.  They may have newer models out by now, but it is a very good value for the money.

If you use a Laptop computer, or if your computer can be monitored from the cockpit  Then I suggest one of the software GPS bundles like Microsoft Streets & Trips, Delorme or Co-Pilot live.  I really like the larger screen of the laptop

I have been using TomTom for about 4 years now. First on a PDA and most recently the Tom Tom Go 910. I have had very good luck with it and testing different GPS solutions I feel it is one of the best on the market with the most usable functions. It is very easy to use with the touch screen and come with a wireless remote. It also has the ability of connecting to your cab radio with bluetooth or wired connection and will mute the cab radio when directions are given or a cell phone call. (if you cab radio supports this function)

Some of the additional features are:
Fully self contained, can be used on any vehicle, bicycle, or walking the trails. (has a 4 -6 hr battery life when used dismounted)
Is easily moved so you can use it in multiple vehicles (MH, Toad, Work vehicle, bicycle, Etc.)
Will automatically reroute you if you miss / make a wrong turn or the road is blocked
Can connect to a Cellphone to it and act as a hands free setup. ( must be a Bluetooth enabled Cell Phone)
Has a traffic update ability for most all major cities with the ability to monitor, Notify, and reroute you around heavy traffic( must be a Bluetooth enabled Cell Phone)
Has a weather update function to give the latest weather forecast at any place, at destination or along route (must be a Bluetooth enabled Cell Phone)
Has an internal 20Gb hard drive and can be used to store things like Digital Images or just about anything you need to save.
Has an MP3 player function to play MP3s ( works best if connected to cab stereo setup)
Has an extensive POI (Point of Interest) Database the covers just about anything you want to find.(Fuel stops, campgrounds, stores, Restaurants to name just a few)
Comes with A complete map of the North America (all 50 states and Canada) and additional maps can be purchased for Europe. Or Visa-versa if you purchased it in Europe

To me it is a better solution than the others out there because of the portability, ease of use, and useful functions that it provides. I prefer to purchase items that are not dedicated to one vehicle as I am not a full timer. This is because I can get more use out of it when not on the road in the MH. It is also easy and cheaper to update or upgrade the unit when it becomes obsolete. Using a laptop with one of the navigation programs is OK but it takes up a lot of space and unless you have a laptop mount in your cab it can become a pain just keeping it in one place. Plus the damage to it when you have to make a emergency stop or a tight turn and it goes flying/sliding toward the windshield can be extensive. IMHO

I'm not trying to say that this is the best or cheapest solution, Just the best for us.

robfogle said:
Some of the additional features are:

All the items you list are becoming fairly common on most new units. Unfortunately, a "good" basic vanilla GPS doesn't seem to be available anymore. You didn't list which of the long list of features you use that the Tom Tom provides. For example, I wonder how many store MP3 files or pictures in their GPS. It would seem that most would not want to fool with that type of feature and would prefer an iPod or other type of MP player vs. having to fool around with loading and organizing stuff in their GPS. It's a big enough chore to keep just the personal mapping stuff up to date -- such as new waypoints.

I find myself wondering (and wishing) that vendors would put their R&D monies into improving just the mapping functions such as the the accuracy of the maps -- and updating more often and charging less for the updates vs. items such as giving me 20meg or gig of storage that I would have no use for. That storage for me would just collect electronic cob webs.

I "can" see some advantage to knowing about detours and traffic situations down the line, but most of the cell phone stuff I would have no use for. Even tho I'm in business, I try to limit cell phone usage to getting messages that I then respond to when in a rest area or parked otherwise. I personally hope (for my own safety) that even hands free phone use will be outlawed. I would venture to say that the number of functions one attends to on a cutting edge GPS today would increase the danger factor during driving proportionally. Of course, I travel alone so would imagine that factor lessens during the time the co pilot is working with the unit.

Anyway, I went on eBay and bought a refurbished "most popular at the time" vanilla Garmin unit with the latest set of maps -- and can't see needing another unit for years to come. I "am" deeply into toys otherwise and can't imagine leaving home without my MP3 player and cell phone so it isn't a case of being anti tech. No one has "ever" accused me of that.  :) Would love to own a Blackberry or similar unit when/if I can afford one. At first I thought I would need a larger GPS screen, but am amazed at how useful the small screen is. I love the unit.

John in Detroit -- I tried using a laptop on several occasions and found the biggest problem was seeing the screen. Are you able to see yours OK while underway during a sunny day? Mine is about a 4 year old Toshiba that is OK to see otherwise. Location was a problem as well. The only way I could see putting one in is with one of those stands built for that purpose -- and that seemed a real waste of space when the portable GPS units take up so little space.

Anyway -- the GPS is just another of those, "this one works for me" RVer items. Most I talk to think theirs is the best -- and that is OK and good. ;)

Well the features that I use the most are:

1. Portability I used it in all my vehicles and recently in DC while walking around to different tourist sights or when hiking in the woods
2. Traffic, Since I live between Chicago and Milwaukee and my company has me going to both directions a lot it really helps to be aware of the traffic and be rerouted around it. This was a god send on our DC trip. Especially getting in and out of DC as traffic is very unpredictable there.
3. The hands free cell phone. there is nothing that I hate worse is trying to fumble around getting my cell phone out when on the road. Besides Illinois. is trying to out law cell phone use while driving unless you have a hands free setup
4. The weather function is nice especially if your trying to find out what road conditions are like ahead
5. I use the POI database a lot for planning trips (campgrounds, stores, fuel stops, and such.
6. The thing that I like the most is the user interface, very easy to learn and use.

As far as the storage for MP3 and Digital images they are to me not really useful as I'm more of a talk radio guy. But I can see how some of the younger crowd would see it useful. You could store your camera Pict's on it while on the road and not have to get another data card. As fare as the MP3's it would eliminate the need for yet another thing sliding around on your dash (Ipod) and having to be plugged into yet another power-port.

Another thing that needs to be considered is Map updates. There are always new roads going in and old ones being changed. So there need to be a way of keeping your maps up to date. nothing is worse than being on a road that is not in your GPS. Tom Tom does update the maps 2 to 4 times a year.

As far as the accuracy of the maps there are only a couple of mapping companies that supply the mapping data to the GPS software manufactures. and it depends on how often they get the updated map data from them.

As far as hands free cell phone use being outlawed it is virtually unenforceable. I have mixed emotions when it comes to legislating things like this. What is next? That it will be against the law to talk to the driver or listen to the radio or drink a soda or a cup of coffee while driving? There are already to many laws on the books lets enforce the ones that we have before we make more. If a driver is not paying attention to their driving no matter what they are doing them ticket them for such. I do agree that there are way to many people the push the limit of what the do while they are driving. Reading the news paper or a book, putting on makeup, or working on a laptop all while doing 80 mph in heavy traffic. I see these everyday when I have to go into Chicago. (as I step off the soap box).

Whilst it's true that folks will naturally promote their own brand, we have been very happy with our iWay 500C. But, having seen Terry's Garmin 7xxx this week, I have to say that's a neat unit.

Are any of you using a Tomtom One, and if so, what do you like/don't like about it.  Thanks!

Irv

Tom said:
Whilst it's true that folks will naturally promote their own brand, we have been very happy with our iWay 500C. But, having seen Terry's Garmin 7xxx this week, I have to say that's a neat unit.

The big problem with Garmin is it is severly handicapped with their handicapped City Nav mapping software IMHO.

Irv,
Is  the Tom Tom One the cheaper of the Tom  Tom's that are available? If so, we have one. I'm not very technologically savvy, but the one I'm thinking of doesn't have all the bells/whistles of the more expensive one. It's not blue tooth compatible, etc. Let me know if this is the one you're interested in and I can tell you a little bit more. We've had it for a few months now.

LuAnn

MLCBFarrell said:
Irv,
Is  the Tom Tom One the cheaper of the Tom  Tom's that are available? If so, we have one. I'm not very technologically savvy, but the one I'm thinking of doesn't have all the bells/whistles of the more expensive one. It's not blue tooth compatible, etc. Let me know if this is the one you're interested in and I can tell you a little bit more. We've had it for a few months now.

LuAnn

I don't know if it's the least expensive, but I've got a coupon for $50 off from Costco.com.  Actually, since I've been shopping for a GPS I've seen the Magellan Maestro line, which looks pretty good to me.  I don't care about Bluetooth (I don't even know what it is), so I don't need that feature.  I like a big screen and turn by turn directions with street names.

Irv

Irv,
The Tom Tom we have is pretty simple. We've had it since February, and enjoy it. I think it's the most basic one. It doesn't do all the extra stuff like some of the ones above do. I'm with you, I don't really understand all the other 'hi-tech' things. It has an on/off button and the touch screen. I do know that I can punch in my starting address, punch in the address where I want to go, and it will tell me how to get there. I also like that it has a detour feature. We ran into a portion of highway that was closed down, and were unfamiliar with the surrounding areas. We had forgotten our road atlas, but my hubby pushed detour and how far he wanted to detour, and it routed us around the closed down section of highway. We also like that it has a place where you can change the brightness of the screen for night driving. And, even though the screen isn't HUGE, I've had no problems at all seeing it. Also, even if you can't see it, the voice will tell you what to do! And you can make the voice louder if you need it to hear over wind, rain, etc.

I recently used it to find my way to a new doctor's office. It got me there perfectly. Even though I was in familiar territory, I wasn't familiar with the street/area where this was located. I also used it to guide me to our exchange student's soccer game at an unfamiliar school soccer field. I know we can hook it up to the computer and download updates, get new maps, etc. We really haven't had time to play with it too much. I just suction cup it onto the windshield, plug it in, and go! Gives me piece of mind when I have to take the kids somewhere new to us and hubby can't come along.  I think ours cost around $200, +/- $50.  Like I said, I'm not very hi-tech but I think they're all pretty much the same. I was already leaning towards a TomTom because our Dutch friend has been using his for a long time and he's gone all over Europe and the U.S. with his, he uses it constantly. He highly recommended it, so when we started getting interested in them, he decided to buy it for us as a 'thank you' gift for hosting his daughter this year and also him during his 3-week visit. That was a nice surprise!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom