garmin 2610

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slumbert55

well i ordered a 2610 price was 299.00 it should work well for all i need, prowler [artic cat side x side] chevy tracker and mh. i have been reading the manual on line and think this is what i need and it has a good price. does anyone have one of these and have any feedback.

I had (still have) a Garmin 2610. I paid around $800 for it several years ago. I used it in both the motorhome and the car.  Worked fine, I was pleased with it until it developed a sensitivity to heat.  Now if it sits on the dash in the sun it loses synch somewhere.  The screen looks somewhat like an old TV when they would lose synch.  Map jumps around making it unusable.  Garmin offered to repair it for $250 but since I had several years good use of it, I elected to get a new one, a nuvi 650 if I remember the number right. The new one is easier to use, but both are very user friendly. I was disappointed that the 2610 died on me at an early age, but I guess that's the luck of the draw.  If this nuvi develops problems like the old one I will be looking for a different brand.

My 2720 is developing the same problem. When it gets too hot it acts as though someone is rapidly pushing on the screen in one particular spot.

One of our members had a similar problem on his SPIII.  Allen, the guy that use to sell them in Phoenix, seemed to know exactly what to do.  He took the back off and tightened a couple Phillips head screws that as I recall held the circuit board in place and also provided the ground.  Condition was corrected.  Sometime later another RVer mentioned to me he was having trouble with his Garmin SPIII and I was able to do the same thing which corrected the problem.

Ron said:
One of our members had a similar problem on his SPIII.  Allen, the guy that use to sell them in Phoenix, seemed to know exactly what to do.  He took the back off and tightened a couple Phillips head screws that as I recall held the circuit board in place and also provided the ground.  Condition was corrected.  Sometime later another RVer mentioned to me he was having trouble with his Garmin SPIII and I was able to do the same thing which corrected the problem.
thanks ron i will remember the grounding issue, hope they have that figured now.
                                                                                                                              steve

slumbert55 said:
well i ordered a 2610 price was 299.00 it should work well for all i need, prowler [artic cat side x side] chevy tracker and mh. i have been reading the manual on line and think this is what i need and it has a good price. does anyone have one of these and have any feedback.

I bought a 2610 about 2 years ago - and have had no problems at all with it. Am surprised it is holding the price of $300 for so long on refurbished models. I think I paid $350 that included V8.0 maps. I move it back and forth between my rig and Jeep using the bean bag mount. It does all the basics of a GPS without any of the newer bells and whistles - most of which are useless to me such as MP3 player ability. The 2620 has a hard drive to give more storage, but now with Compact Flash cards so cheap, I feel the 2610 is a better unit with sold state versus a moving disk.

In addition to it's functionality -- as a solo RVer, along with my iPod and MotoQ Smart Phone, I find it a great toy to play with on long lonesome highways. Am sure you will enjoy your 2610.

Bob Buchanan said:
Am surprised it is holding the price of $300 for so long on refurbished models. I think I paid $350 that included V8.0 maps.
this is a new unit, the refurbished ones are about 150.00
                                                              steve

slumbert55 said:
this is a new unit, the refurbished ones are about 150.00
                                                               steve

Ah -- that explains it. The refurbished ones have a new screen, all new cords and mounts -- so $150 is a great price for an entry level unit. Am surprised there are still new ones for sale. Did you buy directly from Garmin?

I purshased a 4 GB compact Flash card on sale at Fry's for $20 after $10 rebate that we use in the 2610 Have all the City Nav, old Metroguide (fall back when City Nave gets lost) and western Topo maps loaded.

Ron said:

I'll give it a try. Thanks Ron.

Bob Buchanan said:
Ah -- that explains it. The refurbished ones have a new screen, all new cords and mounts -- so $150 is a great price for an entry level unit. Am surprised there are still new ones for sale. Did you buy directly from Garmin?
i bought it on line from brooklyn its someplace in nj now, should get to me first of the week.
                                                                                                                                            steve

Back
Top Bottom