Garmin RV 770

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John, I know all about Garmins planned obsolescence. I had an older unit, Street Pilot that was great in the motorhome with its 7' screen.  I purchased life time map updates for it. Garmin eventually said they were not supporting that unit for maps and so no more more updates for it. So much for "lifetime" updates. I have a Nuvi and I bought a large smart card for it, so it will take all the new maps with room to spare.

Bill

John Stephens said:
Dennis - I downloaded Basecamp but haven't taken the time to learn how to use it yet. Once I create my trip, what do you do to get it to download to the Garmin?

It's a simple operation once the GPS is recognized by the computer. Review the Help in BaseCamp and any other information you can find.

BaseCamp FYI's

The maps are identical between the 760 and 770. I base this in the fact that when I purchased my 770 I had the latest maps on my computer from the last update of my 760 and Garmin Express did not need to download any new maps, it installed the ones already on my computer.

When using BaseCamp you need to select a option in Garmin Express to install the maps on the computer. By default it will only install on the GPS. You can re-run Garmin Express to install the already downloaded maps to BaseCamp.

Add functions and tools to the toolbar as soon as you figure out what you are going to use so you don't have to dig through the menus all the time.

One of the biggest issues I had when I started with BaseCamp was how it stored your data. I was used to stand alone files residing on my drive where I would open, edit, save those files as needed. BaseCamp does not use that model, instead it stores everything in a database modeled after the Windows Explorer with folders all under the master folder "My Collection". You can have sub folders but all objects (routes, waypoints, tracks etc.) are stored in Lists that are in a folder. Basically everything you create is automatically saved in the database. Even though it is easy to move objects around a plan to organize the folders is a good idea to start with.

Another thing that will bite you is that once a object is created it can be copied to other lists but it only exists in the database once. For example, say you create a waypoint for your house and stored in a List called "People" which is in the folder called "POI".  In another Folder, say "Trips" there is a List called "2017", you copy the House waypoint to it. Later you decide you no longer want it in that list so you Delete it....wrong. A delete will remove that waypoint from the database, that is ALL occurrences in every list it's in. To remove an object from a list without deleting it you need to use the "Remove From <list>" command. Any modification to a object in one list will also effect all occurrences.

Don't attempt to use the "Trip Planner".

The BaseCamp (Mac or Windows) section of the Garmin Forum is a good place to review.

I do not want to write a instruction manual here, I just wanted to point out some issues I had learning BaseCamp.
I currently have over 11,000 objects in My Collection organized in many folders and lists. A big part of that is a library of RV parks that I have verified location on.

Thanks guys for the tutorial, really appreciate the assistance since I know just enough techy stuff too mess things up.

I got my 660 yesterday and have been playing with it since. Very disappointed with it. I downloaded base camp to my PC and made my up coming trip, send it to the 660 and it changes the route I had on the PC. This thing is no better than the nuvi I had 10 years ago. Certainly no easier to use. Glad I still have a few days to TRY and figure this thing out.

Well I finally got the 660 to take the map I made in base camp. Certainly much more complicated than it needs to be. I did down load copilot to my tab A and it used the route I wanted on the first setup. I was beginning to think there was a low bridge or something on the route I wanted to take, but couldn't remember anything. Been many years since I've been down that road.

Dennis - thanks for taking the time to share all that advice about Basecamp. It will come in useful when I try to learn how to use it.

Bill - I still have an old Street Pilot with a 3" screen that I bought around 2007 Don't know why I don't throw it away; it can't be updated anymore. The Nuvi used to be used in car trips, but since we got the coach and now the 770, it will probably also be retired.

I could not detect any issues with the 770 after I had pulled the plug and started update process over. It worked as designed as far as I could see, we took it on a 40 mile round trip spin. When we came across some dicey areas the 770 would give notice that it could not identify RV area or some sort of message to that affect. It continued to warn ahead of any curves in the road and all street names and fuelling stations. I think I'm gonna like it.

I, too, have noticed the RV warnings when using it in the car but in RV mode. We went to one restaurant and on the way, the Garmin told me it wasn't sure if I would find adequate parking for my coach. Mine doesn't call out the street names or fueling stations, but I think that's the way I have it set up. I like the idea of customizing your screen and alerts.

Heh! I get a chuckle every time my RV760 tells me it's unsure if the road is RV accessible, when the campground is at the other end of that road!! :D

Stephen S. said:
Heh! I get a chuckle every time my RV760 tells me it's unsure if the road is RV accessible, when the campground is at the other end of that road!! :D

I also noticed it warns of photo camera intersections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom