Gas Buddy RV friendly stations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Believe me Butch, you look at things in a whole new way when you're driving a rig that can't be backed up more than a couple of feet when towing, it won't fit under most gas station canopies and it won't turn sharp enough to maneuver effectively in a typical size gas station - especially when other vehicles are present.

I also think you're confusing "need" with nice to have. Sure, I could roll the dice, exit the freeway and drive around looking for a suitable fueling station, but knowing where that station is ahead of time, and knowing that I can actually get in, get to the pumps and get out without a lot of headaches is infinitely preferable to driving around, looking for one in a place I'm not familiar with. If a $3.00 app will eliminate those headaches, sign me up!

Kev

You have a good point there Kevin. You're 43' without the toad, and he's 45' total with a hinge in the middle.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. I am still trying to think of a good way to present this highly variable information in the app. I'll follow up after I have discussed with the team.

Thanks again!

"Disappointed in the negative comment from Butch.  First one I've seen on this forum."

"Go easy on him. He's kinda new."

Trust me, that was "easy" for me.  The RV Forum has great value for all of us, and I don't like to see new people stifled because of fear of negative comments.

mrb05 said:
Thanks again for the feedback everyone. I am still trying to think of a good way to present this highly variable information in the app. I'll follow up after I have discussed with the team.

Thanks again!

thanks to you and your team in reaching out to look at  something those of us who have gas-powered rigs need very badly.  You have me editing a copy of your goggle map as I come across RV friendly stations.

Negative? First time I've ever been called negative on any forum for stating my opinion. Drove truck for many years and never needed an app to tell me what I can or can't enter. I stand by me comment. Don't like it? Call a counsellor.

Butch54 said:
Negative? First time I've ever been called negative on any forum for stating my opinion. Drove truck for many years and never needed an app to tell me what I can or can't enter. I stand by me comment. Don't like it? Call a counsellor.

I drove a truck for quite a while, too. I sure wish I'd had some those apps my son is using these days. 

BinaryBob said:
I'm wondering what the criteria is for an RV friendly gas station?
I am wondering what the criteria is for an RV? A VW van and a 45 DP with toad are both RVs. In all my years of full timing I never had a problem finding an RV friendly gas station but then again I never had a toad. I would mainly use Loves, Flying Js or any other truck stop located close to a freeway off ramp.

What did we do when there wasn't an app for that? Looks like a solution looking for a problem to me. I don't think Butch meant to hurt feelings. I am 44 feet with a toad so not real big. I don't remember ever having an issue. Look before you pull in, you should know if you don't fit before you commit.

I wonder, how does an app make money?  Merchants pay to be listed? They sell user data? I dunno. I have an I phone with some apps, I will skip this one. My GPS and Google tell me where fuel is as well as those big 50 foot high signs.

I don't mean to hurt feelings but you should be able to have an opposing view. Most people don't need social media to know how to get fuel.

Ha! I just typed this on a social media outlet!  :)

It's amazing. Somebody is trying to help RV'ers out and it ends up a bickering contest, and a "don't need no stinking app conversation".
It will be a lot easier for Andrew if one just stated, "I don't need an app for that" and let it go, or offered up sensible suggestions. I'm certainly not a computer programmer or app developer, but I can bet developing even a basic app to bring up RV friendly stations is no small task.

kdbgoat said:
It's amazing. Somebody is trying to help RV'ers out and it ends up a bickering contest, and a "don't need no stinking app conversation".
It will be a lot easier for Andrew if one just stated, "I don't need an app for that" and let it go, or offered up sensible suggestions. I'm certainly not a computer programmer or app developer, but I can bet developing even a basic app to bring up RV friendly stations is no small task.

I have no doubt that I can get around and find a place to fuel, and whatever without another App. But, I have been running a highway, and hopped off the thing to find fuel, only to realize none of the stations at that exit really fit the bill., so turn around, get back on the highway, and go check the next exit. Or wander the back roads, looking for something compatible.

It would be handy to have the copilot pull up an app, and see what the options are at the next few exits, and know where you are going before you get there. I don't have to use it all the time. Often it is fun to just wander about until you find what you're looking for. Some of our best experiences have been that type.

But, it's like maps. I don't always need them, but they can be pretty handy at times.

mrb05 said:
Additional Amenities:
Potable Water
Waste Dumping
Overnight Parking
Pet Walking Area
High-Pressure Air Supply
Wifi

I honestly don't care about any of that when I'm needing diesel.  I just want a station where I can fit and maneuver and won't have to back up, since I tow four-down and can't back up.  I know I'll be able to do it at truck stops, but in some areas I have to use regular gas station (and gas RVs can't use truck pumps).

I also know it's extremely unlikely that I'll have room at a regular gas station to park and walk my dog or use their internet, plus there are other sites that have that sort of information. 

I looked at the gasbuddy RV-friendly site and the comments that people put there are helpful, but only kind of. 

I looked at one that said, "Very clean little store with great access for RV's."  Here's the street view of that location:

]https://www.google.ca/maps/place/15411+TX-29,+Buchanan+Dam,+TX+78609,+USA/@30.7335146,-98.4616998,3a,75y,346.19h,101.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5_9ent-XFfvh_K13njzsUQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x865af8c00387e2bf:0xbf67e13a477956a8!8m2!3d30.7338374!4d-98.4617371[url]

There is one set of pumps in front of the store.  They are parallel to the store, which is good, but with only one set of pumps, you have to be on a particular side to match your fuel filler and a rig 60+ feet long will be taking up a lot of space there.  I would mark that as "do-able" for me--definitely not "great."

Another one said, "Easy in and out for big rig RVs"  Here's a satellite view of that location:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/1401+Coors+Blvd+NW,+Albuquerque,+NM+87121,+USA/@35.1000405,-106.7081539,113m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x872272b1037f8295:0x8c70a1509bf41372!8m2!3d35.0999898!4d-106.7081664

Maybe I'm a weenie, but I wouldn't try that in my RV unless it was the middle of the night, and even then, only if I had to.

I think this will be an issue with any site that relies on what people say about a location.  But I would use the site to get leads on places that might be big-rig friendly that I can research further.  I would never just use the app to tell me where to go, even with people's comments, like I might in a car.

But I still see a problem for gas coaches, who can't use diesel/truck pumps.  Maybe force users to say whether their comments are for diesel pumps only?  I think a station with a separate island away from the building with truck pumps is ideal, but that doesn't do any good for gas RVs.

Trivet said:
I honestly don't care about any of that when I'm needing diesel.  I just want a station where I can fit and maneuver and won't have to back up, since I tow four-down and can't back up.  I know I'll be able to do it at truck stops, but in some areas I have to use regular gas station (and gas RVs can't use truck pumps).

I also know it's extremely unlikely that I'll have room at a regular gas station to park and walk my dog or use their internet, plus there are other sites that have that sort of information. 

I looked at the gasbuddy RV-friendly site and the comments that people put there are helpful, but only kind of. 

I looked at one that said, "Very clean little store with great access for RV's."  Here's the street view of that location:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/15411+TX-29,+Buchanan+Dam,+TX+78609,+USA/@30.7335146,-98.4616998,3a,75y,346.19h,101.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5_9ent-XFfvh_K13njzsUQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x865af8c00387e2bf:0xbf67e13a477956a8!8m2!3d30.7338374!4d-98.4617371[url]]]https://www.google.ca/maps/place/15411+TX-29,+Buchanan+Dam,+TX+78609,+USA/@30.7335146,-98.4616998,3a,75y,346.19h,101.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5_9ent-XFfvh_K13njzsUQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x865af8c00387e2bf:0xbf67e13a477956a8!8m2!3d30.7338374!4d-98.4617371[url]

There is one set of pumps in front of the store.  They are parallel to the store, which is good, but with only one set of pumps, you have to be on a particular side to match your fuel filler and a rig 60+ feet long will be taking up a lot of space there.  I would mark that as "do-able" for me--definitely not "great."

Another one said, "Easy in and out for big rig RVs"  Here's a satellite view of that location:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/1401+Coors+Blvd+NW,+Albuquerque,+NM+87121,+USA/@35.1000405,-106.7081539,113m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x872272b1037f8295:0x8c70a1509bf41372!8m2!3d35.0999898!4d-106.7081664

Maybe I'm a weenie, but I wouldn't try that in my RV unless it was the middle of the night, and even then, only if I had to.

I think this will be an issue with any site that relies on what people say about a location.  But I would use the site to get leads on places that might be big-rig friendly that I can research further.  I would never just use the app to tell me where to go, even with people's comments, like I might in a car.

But I still see a problem for gas coaches, who can't use diesel/truck pumps.  Maybe force users to say whether their comments are for diesel pumps only?  I think a station with a separate island away from the building with truck pumps is ideal, but that doesn't do any good for gas RVs.

User reviews are often, at best, unreliable.
There needs to be some sort of accountable review system.

LarsMac said:
User reviews are often, at best, unreliable.
There needs to be some sort of accountable review system.

Oh, I definitely agree that user comments are unreliable--shoot, people can't even get the gas prices right on gasbuddy, and all they have to do is input some numbers.  Judgment calls in 20 words or less?  I don't have high expectations.

But I don't think an accountable review system is in the cards for a free site like gasbuddy, and that's fine with me.  I'll be happy to use it just to find out possible stations to narrow the field, because it's really time- and data-consuming to scroll through gasbuddy prices and matching those places to satellite views, not to mention trying to figure out if the Valero in gasbuddy is actually the Exxon in the (possibly older) street view, or if the truck stop known as Fuzzy's is the same as the Texaco station in gasbuddy. 

Maybe what gasbuddy needs is to call these stations "RV accessible," if the focus is on physically getting in and out of them.  I already noticed some locations where the people commented on the food, or that it has a dump station, but didn't give any indication that the station itself is big enough to handle big RVs, and almost nobody specifies which kind of fuel they were getting.

I would love to know it the station has "truck" lanes for their diesel.  The "Next Exit" book would list stations as RV friendly but that meant diesel.  It was no use for gas RV.  I like to use "gas" stations for diesel so I do not have to prepay and fight the truck traffic.  Most truck access lanes will beat you up.

schoolsout2 said:
... Most truck access lanes will beat you up.

Please tell me what you mean by this. Our RV is still a couple of months in the future, so I have no recent experience fueling in diesel lanes. Years ago, I pulled horses with a diesel pickup and regularly used diesel fuel lanes without difficulty.

Back
Top Bottom