gas/diesel argument

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueGekko

We're going to upgrade from a 21' camper van to a 24' something in the coming months. I've had my eye on a View or Navion. Went to an RV show this weekend and the Camping World rep advised that we'd get a better deal buying a gasser even though I could expect only 10 mpg versus 17 mph for a diesel. Said that, due to new requirements from Mercedes, Mercedes based diesels must be serviced ONLY by Mercedes dealers - can't be serviced by Freightliner or any other shop that handles diesels. Anyone heard of this? Also, since we're now looking at gassers, I've noticed that the fit and finish of several show room models (Four Winds especially) are much less than what I'd expected from a new unit. Does it seem to be true that the diesels seem to be built better than the gassers? Any recommendations of 24' gassers to look into or to avoid? We're in our 60s so expect this to be our last RVd and hope to keep it on the road for 10-15 yrs. Thanks for any recommendations and responses.

How many miles a year? If you plan a lot of traveling, the higher cost of the diesel can be justified even though gasoline is cheaper for the moment. If it's just for weekend use and the occasional long trip. gas might make more sense.

Camping World rep advised that we'd get a better deal buying a gasser even though I could expect only 10 mpg versus 17 mph   

Might wanna double check anything CW says...  also might wanna do some analysis on your own... like, how many miles do you want to travel per month?  Based on that distance, figure out how much fuel you'll need based on the range of mpg you anticipate, and then, how much it will cost.  If you can afford that expense, or justify it, then mpg becomes less of a factor... compared to floorplans, equipment, comfort, drive-ability, appearance, GCWR, etc.  For example, if you want to go 1000 miles per month... at 10 mpg, you will burn 100 gallons and pay about $400; at 17 mpg, you will burn about 60 gallons, or $240, thus saving $120 or so... not trivial but it might be manageable... probably 3-4 nights out of 30 at a RV parks.

Mercedes based diesels must be serviced ONLY by Mercedes dealers 

Maybe true during the warranty period?  If you are 500 miles away from a dealer, don't have much choice?  After the warranty, you can go where-ever you want...  Also, if you are going to spend the better part of $100K on one of these units... you might wanna take a hard look at some units that are a year or two old, google "ppl.com", and take a hard look at what you can get for the same or less money...  A DP RV with 15,000 miles is barely getting started on the diesel engine life according to the articles in FMCA.

Good Luck.

To me the milage thing just does not matter. Diesels to me are so much easier to drive and offer so much better performance. I won't buy anything anymore that is not diesel.

Miles you drive does make a huge difference.  The upkeep on a diesel is way more than a gasser.  We only use our class A for Canadian fishing trips mostly, other than that it sits in the pole barn.  I change the oil twice a year and it only costs me about $30.00.  A diesel can go over $130.00.  Then if you need service whoa...  More for air filters, fuel filters, water separtor filters, and the new wrinkle on some the uretha (spelling?) fluid.  Big difference in cost and parts.  If you just use it for 3 to 4 thousand miles a year, stay with gas.  If more or big mountain driving  alot go with the diesel.  I did take ours through the mountains in Tennesee and had no problems with it.  It is 35' and has a ford v10.

There are as many opinions about this subject as there are rig owners, and all have very specific reason they are in the rig they have, just like me.  I had a really good older 28 ft. gas rig, got about 8-9 mpg and we used it 4-5 times a year, but I always really wanted a DP. 

We are in our 60s and will retire soon so last year we bought pretty much the rig we wanted and paid the price we had for our budget (top of the budget price, still within the budget).

I have always done maintenance on everything we have, so the our DP is no exception,...except when I don't have the equipment (wheel bearings & tire stuff).  Even with all the DIY it is still a bit more expensive for filters, fluids, gaskets, etc., but in terms of fit & finish, ride and handling, power and feel we would not go back to a gas rig. 

The differences in maintenance cost is worth it to us and the difference in depreciation is a bonus.  A DP will hold its value a bit better and is more attractive to a potential buyer,... if we decide to sell.

I would recommend taking a spin in several different rigs (class A diesel and gas & class C gas and diesel) to help with your decision. 

I would suggest clicking on the Search button along the top link bar of the forum page, and searching "gas vs. diesel" or similar.  You will find dozens (if not hundreds) of past discussions on the topic.  For your circumstance, add in the keywords "View" and/or "Navion" and that should narrow down the results.

A RV on a post 2008 Mercedes/Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter chassis gets 14 to 17 mpg depending on the weight of the vehicle. An older, 5-cyclinder Sprinter Van B class Roadtrek Adventurous gets 20 to 25 mpg depending on wind, speed and load, etc.

Reports are that the Ford E450-based B and C class RVs get 8 to 14 mpg, depending on weight, speed, etc.

I assumed gas at $4 and diesel at $4.50/gal.

Assume 10k miles a year.

New Sprinter (Navion or View) fuel cost $3,000, 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous B van $2,250. Ford E450 C class at 8 mpg, $5,000.

At 2,500 miles, $750, $562, $1,250.

At 15k miles, $4,500, $3,375, $7,500.

Give or take.

Multiply the savings over 10 years, and we're talking pretty big money.

The Ford E450's weighs more than the Sprinter chassis.

Since we expect to put 10k or so on our RV a year, the fuel savings on the Sprinter outweighs the higher purchase price of the Sprinter, which also tends to hold its value a bit better than the Fords, from what I've been able to determine by looking at asking prices on used RVs. Also, the Sprinter is great if the DW wants to drive a lot and if you like to take long trips without killing yourself on long days.

Back in 1980 my bride and I walked into a motor home and loved it.  We had a pop up and were looking to move up.  I asked the salesman what was the MPG.  He told me if you have to ask you cannot afford it.  Well I was taken aback, how rude.  But you know he was right we could not afford it, we bought a used trailer, and moved on up over the years. 

Now I say there are two types of travelers those who have a deisel, and those who wished they had one.  really it is a individuals choice.  I believe it come down to price.no secret deisel is more expensive, but the trade offs are what matters. 

Did you notice I said travelers?  It is far from camping, more like my Holidy Inn on wheels.  We enjoyed camping over the years the children, In Laws the dog in a 24ft trailer, and 26ft MH class C.  Now it is Kathy and I enjoying what this wonderful country has to offer.

Yea the fuel campground fees and every thing else is high, but remember life is short and I believe George Carlin said it best enjoy the ride.

Jim Kathy
In Florida

DIESEL, DIESEL, DIESEL  ALL THE WAY.  Find the best older, cheapest one you can find and hit the road.  I just bought a 38' Georgie-boy with 77k miles.  It is barely broken in.

BLAKDUKE said:
DIESEL, DIESEL, DIESEL  ALL THE WAY.  Find the best older, cheapest one you can find and hit the road.  I just bought a 38' Georgie-boy with 77k miles.  It is barely broken in.

Do you mind sharing what year, and how much you paid?  I'm always coming back to the idea of an older DP for our next unit, but the maintenance costs scare me.  And I wouldn't drive it much (around 1500 miles/year), so it doesn't make much sense for us.  I spend about $30/year right now doing my own oil changes... can't really beat that.

scottydl said:
Do you mind sharing what year, and how much you paid?  I'm always coming back to the idea of an older DP for our next unit, but the maintenance costs scare me.  And I wouldn't drive it much (around 1500 miles/year), so it doesn't make much sense for us.  I spend about $30/year right now doing my own oil changes... can't really beat that.

There is no way you'd recoup the extra cost of the diesel. And @ 1500 miles a year nor would you probably be able to justify the added performance enjoyment either..
But for some of us the benefits are there either real or imagined..
I have a big block I may or may not restore and a DP I love..both have about 75K on them.
I did have some tire issues on the Dolphin tho...By the time I learned the tire rules, I hold as truths, from the learned members of this forum the excitement had kind of "blew it's self out".  :-[

I had a gasser and found that traveling in the west with all of the mountains was a real pain in the neck.  All of the shifting down took all the joy out of driving after a while.  We then bought a diesel and it is a pure joy to drive.

scottydl said:

It is a 2000 CruiseMaster by Georgie Boy, paid $53K for it.  Had 77K miles on it.  I will have a need upon occasion to tow over 5K lbs with it, not often but it is like the age old gun theory, "it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".  My wife and I fought long and hard to stay with gas, but my class-c gasser (460 Ford) would not pull my Packard on a trailer.  When we weighed the pros and cons, we went diesel.  Yes diesel fuel is expensive(right now, but it will come down), but a full tank will take us for at least 650 miles and the way we plan a trip is, about 2 months before the trip we pump in about $150 worth of fuel every 2 weeks, so that by the time we leave, we have a full tank.  Yes we will have sticker shock for the return trip, but that is the price we pay for our enjoyment.  We will have to modify our thinking a bit and take the rig down the road once a month, but what the hey, at least that way I can teach my wife how to drive it.  Contrary to what a lot of people think, you can get DPs at reasonable prices.  I paid more for this rig than I probably should have, but the rig was at a dealer and he took my 19 year old dutchman in on trade and did all of the financing arrangements.  I do not regret it a bit.  For the most part I would advise heading to Florida to find one.  That is the best place.  Check out ALL the mobile home dealers and see what they have.  The snow birds come down from the north with their rigs and use them as down payments on their new Florida mobile homes.  Those dealers are not in the market to sell RV's that much so they want to get rid of them ASAP, so they tend to go for good prices.  Couple that with the sucky economy and viola, you have a low mileage,  low price rig.  Happy hunting.

The newer gas RVs do fine in the western mountains. The engines run strong, even at altitude, and 5 or 6 speed transmissions get the job done far better than older gas motorhomes with 4 speed trannys designed for cars and pick-ups.  A Workhorse W22 chassis with 8.1L V8 and 5 o 6 speed Allison will handle long grades without too much stress. Ditto for the later Ford F53's with V10 and 5 speed.

Buy a diesel because you love to drive it, not to save money. It's going to cost you up front, and cost you more in annual maintenance as well.

Yea, and going to cost big-time at the pump as well!  Love my diesel... However paid like $70 for half a tank to fill this morning!  $4.29/gal here now!  :-\

Must be a small tank. With my V-10 Bounder, with gas near $3.00 - $3.20 and up, I usually paid over $150 to add 50+ gallons to its 75 gallon tank.

jje1960 said:
Yea, and going to cost big-time at the pump as well!  Love my diesel... However paid like $70 for half a tank to fill this morning!  $4.29/gal here now!  :-\

Generally I've read here that the fuel price is a wash, when compared to slightly better fuel economy.  Diesel fuel (on average) might cost $0.50 - $1 more per gallon, but you are getting 11-12 mpg's instead of 7-8 with a gas rig.  That part balances out, although there are more maintenance costs for diesel.  Diesels then offers the enhanced towing capabilities and more comfortable ride (in a DP that is) which would be the reasons to go that route.

I definitely agree with all the benefits of the diesel, that's why I own one.  :)  Just smarting from the high cost... Heck, when I was a kid it was dirt cheap, always cheaper than gasoline, we used to use it to wash parts for crying out loud!  Finally was able to afford a nice big truck, got the dream F350 Diesel... now getting hammered on fuel costs.. Gotta love it!  O well, got 4 full weeks of RV'ing planned for this summer, starting tomorrow it's off to fun with the unit.  Wanna play ya gotta pay.

Back
Top Bottom