Gas filler tube located at rear of MH vs on side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CP

We are thinking of buying a Fleetwood Bounder 35K gas class A which requires filling the gas tank from the rear of the mh vs. the side. I am wondering if that presents a problem at the pumps? I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance. CP

My previous coach was a Bounder 40Z with the filler at the rear. It didn't present any significant problems as one could pull up left or right. Occasionally I was kinda in the way as I had to pull way forward and was sticking out of the pump area during pumping.

I would not want a side fill if there was only one (i.e., only left or right). It can be difficult enough accessing pumps and exiting, especially when towing. Being limited to only a left or right fill (vs. coaches with both left and right side fill) would be a real problem at times.

As an added note, with the rear fill it's difficult using the mirrors to determine exactly when the rear of the coach is next to the pump, but with the backup camera it's easy. As soon as the pump comes into view, stop.

CP said:
We are thinking of buying a Fleetwood Bounder 35K gas class A which requires filling the gas tank from the rear of the mh vs. the side. I am wondering if that presents a problem at the pumps? I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance. CP
Seems to me that this would be an advantage over the side fill. 

With the short hoses they use at the pumps now a days  You have to stay pretty close to the island and stop exactly even with the pump to reach the center fill on my Bounder. My wife gets out and stops me, I'm a trucker by trade and I can't judge that small a distance in my mirrors either. I can back into docks all day with a semi but they are made to be gently bumped.

Bill

I've been in a couple of gas stations that I blocked the driveway, because we had to pull far enough forward to reach the rear fill.

Twice, we've had people upset that we're blocking both gas pumps to fuel up. My answer was, next time don't get in line behind a motorhome!

It took a while, but I finally got to where I can judge the distance in the side mirror. I always thought it was just me that had a problem.

driftless shifter said:
With the short hoses they use at the pumps now a days  You have to stay pretty close to the island and stop exactly even with the pump to reach the center fill on my Bounder. My wife gets out and stops me, I'm a trucker by trade and I can't judge that small a distance in my mirrors either. I can back into docks all day with a semi but they are made to be gently bumped.

Bill

On my 32', there is enough swingout that a last-second twist of the steering wheel gets the filler almost scary-close to the pump. Short hoses have not been a problem. :)

HappyWanderer said:
Twice, we've had people upset that we're blocking both gas pumps to fuel up.
Answer: "We're buying twice as much, we get twice the space!"

thesameguy said:
On my 32', there is enough swingout that a last-second twist of the steering wheel gets the filler almost scary-close to the pump.
Shoulda seen the swingout on the 40Z! Lots of gas pumps bit the dust (along with poles, cars, walls etc)  ;) (not by me fortunately)

On the other hand, sometimes I could put it in a 27' spot cause the rest was hanging over the curb

HappyWanderer said:
I've been in a couple of gas stations that I blocked the driveway, because we had to pull far enough forward to reach the rear fill.

Twice, we've had people upset that we're blocking both gas pumps to fuel up. My answer was, next time don't get in line behind a motorhome!

It took a while, but I finally got to where I can judge the distance in the side mirror. I always thought it was just me that had a problem.
I always take up both pumps when I fuel up, have to or stick half way across the lot. I usually fuel up at Costco and it amazes me how many people get in line right behind me before I even start to pump. I even tell them I will be a while but sometimes they just sit there and wait.   

I'll take the side fill, either side is ok but I prefer driver side. My last coach was a passenger side and it took a while to get used to get it right. The one I have now is a driver side fill and it's much easier to judge where to stop. I've only put gas in it a couple times so far but I can tell I like it better. My buddies storm is a rear fill and he hated it til he got the back up camera. Think I'm going to buy one of those too as I can't see out the rear window on this coach, heck it don't even have a rear view mirror on the windshield. 

Sounds tricky. I have fills on either side so no problems waiting for a particular side. Just takes a little thinking to make sure that people can get in and around while I fill. Just because I'm big doesn't mean I get to inconvenience others. My fills are about 15' from the front of the rig so when I have the toad on behind, (every time we go somewhere) I'm only sticking out 50' behind where the nozzle is. One learns to judge distance, turning ability and patience.

Ken

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate them. Looks like no guts no glory so I will not shy away from the rear fill.

My Tioga is a Fleetwood product just like your Bounder, and has a rear gas filler. My previous motorhome had a side filler, which like most, includes the plastic neck around the tube. I much rather have the rear one, which on my motorhome, is behind the license plate, thereby hiding the unsightly filler hose.  With rear or side hoses, I still block both pumps, so I always pick out the bay that is farthest away from all pumps.

I have the Bounder 33C, and really like the rear fill. I prefer to get the pumps on the Drivers side, as it is easier to judge where I am, and control swing out on exiting the pumps. I am 54' with the toad, so I take up the row most of the time.

I have the 35E Bounder We never have a problem with the back fill  .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom